Anyone using the RF out?

occammd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
I see the back of the STB has an RF antenna out for channel 3 or 4 above the coax out for RF to the set. Is this a re-broadcast at 480i? If so, anyone know the power? I was hoping to get a small antenna for it and re-boradcast to some SD sets in the house on channel 4.

I think the connector you are talking about is just an RF input for path-through connection of a cable or antenna for your TV set.

The only manual that VOOM currently provides is the Viewer's Guide, but it's not very technical and doesn't explain every single connector.

The jack below the CH3/4 switch is for outputing to a tv that does not have seperate video inputs. It is 480i (as it is standard TV). The jack above it is for passthrough. When the box is turned off, it routes the input to the output so you can use your tv's tuner for locals via an antenna, or cable, or from a VCR or something. I am using the RF out on my tv in my bedroom, and the quality is outstanding. I seriously doubt it has enough strength to broadcast, even across a room, via an antenna. I would just recommend running some additional coax to the other rooms, THIS would probably work for a few tv's via a splitter. It will depend as much on the quality of the TV's tuner as it will on the signal strength.

Now I see, I didn't know about pass through until you guys told me. I'm sure someone sells a small broadcast amp, but I'm not sure how legal it is, I'm sure my neighbors would love to see what I'm watching on channel 4.