Anyone Receiving Voom On The West Coast??

Tvlman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
Surf City.CA
To date has anyone got VOOM up and running (through DISH) on the West Coast? I am reading other threads that state the VOOM channels are only being received by the East Coast Satellite. Comments anyone??

My install is Friday. I am not scheduled to get the Voom channels, I was instructed to call and add them after the installation.

I will let you know as soon as I know what is going on.

Thanks, my install is scheduled for next Monday and I wanted to know in advance if they are available as of now and/or when they will be available. Can't count on the installer to always know these things.

My install is going on right now. The guy has pointed the 148 dish at 61.5 as I requested (wink, wink) but I think I have to call Dish to "turn on" the Voom channels. The guy said the Voom dish won't work cause of the switching. I'm guessing that means the 148/61.5 dish has a diseqc in it as well.

I've had Dish HD since January 2001 and back then, ALL Dish HD was on 61.5 so, yes, I get it, got, always gonna have it. I'm near Portland, OR with a 24" dish and no problems with rainfade (well, not too many anyway).

Yep, just moved to E* today. They didn't give the installer the right info for the work order and just had one dish but luckily he's right by here so he grabbed another one.

The installer couldn't use the Voom 24" dish so now I have two (edit) Dish 500's mounted on an old ham radio antenna (was just the 24" on there before). Seeing everything fine, local OTA works fine. Pre-splitting OTA to the VCR still works fine (the installer didn't think that would work and I just set up the OTA stuff after he left).

Not sure what to do if we get rain fade again on the Voom channels, if they'll upgrade the one looking at 61.5.

Glad your installs went ok but are you receiving the VOOM Package of 10 channels at present and if not when did they say you could receive them?

Tvlman said:
To date has anyone got VOOM up and running (through DISH) on the West Coast? I am reading other threads that state the VOOM channels are only being received by the East Coast Satellite. Comments anyone??
I'm in AZ and just got my 921 up and running today. VOOM looks great on E*. Can't wait for the rest of the line up, then I will add all of the E* channels.

Tvlman said:
Deann, where are you located on the West Coast?

Anaheim here. Hooked up the voom dish directly to my 811 and immediately saw all of dish's 61.5 channels. I have an sw21 switch coming so I can connect it proerly and activate VOOM, but it shuldn't be a problem. My signal at 61.5 is 97, you only need a 75 to get signal. AND THE VOOM DISH WORKS WITH LEGACY STUFF.

kfried001 said:
I'm in AZ and just got my 921 up and running today. VOOM looks great on E*. Can't wait for the rest of the line up, then I will add all of the E* channels.

How many rooms, how many receivers, how much of a hassle?

lombana said:
How many rooms, how many receivers, how much of a hassle?
I have my own equipment, bought a 921 an Costco and my friend gave me an 811 for my two HD sets. Had two 501 already so no big deal. One bad LNB but I signed up for the 5.99 monthly warranty when I ordered the install so it was covered. I had Dish before VOOM. I only activated the HDPack, VOOM channels and the Outdoor Channel.

The 921 has a very nice picture. VOOM looks better on the 921 than on the 550. Also, HDnet looks better on E* than on D*.

but I think I have to call Dish to "turn on" the Voom channels.

Yup, that's what I had to do. He had the activation CSR on the phone, then I talked to her ("Chantelle" with an Indian accent) and she asked me if I paid the $100 for the extra dish. I said I have a dish pointed at 61.5 ;) and would she please add the Voom channels to my account. She put me on hold for almost 5 minutes, then came back and said "they're on". And they were. :) So I've got 10 Voom channels back.

PQ is pretty good, but my wife & I don't like the way the PG works or the way information is presented. Alas Voom, we miss ye.

Newport Beach, CA here. Got the 2nd free dish for missing locals yesterday. Asked the installer to point it at 61.5. No problem. I'm Voom'n once again!

Tvlman said:
Deann, where are you located on the West Coast?

Sacramento, CA. With the amount of trees by us the original Voom installer was suprised to get it working (it took a lot playing around with dish placement originally, and that's how we ended up with it on the radio antenna pole on the roof). With two dishes now they are right on top of each other on the pole with the one pointed at 61.5 higher than the old Voom dish was. It's supposed to rain today so if I have the time I'll check it for rain fade on the Voom channels.

I followed up on my scheduled installation today by calling Dish to find out exactly what they are going to do. I'm a former VOOMER witht the VOOM Dish still in place. The CSR said that since the VOOM channels are at 61.5 now they would either use the VOOM Dish or replace it. Then they would add an extra Dish for the other channels. The installer will evaluate on site first. Sounds good. I'm getting the 811 which is the HD receiver. Don't want to go HD DVR yet for $250. So, we'll see on MOnday. Thanks Newport, Anaheim, San Jose and Sacramento people for sharing the details of your Dish install. Happy VOOMING again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)