Anyone know what the real Dish/Voom deal is?

softwiz

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 30, 2005
Dish needs to get their crap together on this Voom stuff.

I was qouted the following just now.

America's 180 for $19.99 for 3 months
All HD programming including VOOM for $4.99 for the first 6 months then $14.99.
I wanted the 942 so the $250 fee was charged
Then even though one of my locals is on 61.5, they said I still had to pay the $100 bucks for a Dish 300.

I argued about the HD pak not being free for 6 months and about the Dish 300 charge. He said his supervisor said that's the deal being offered now.

I just read the press release and it says HD programming for 6 months for free. Plus one of my locals are at 61.5 so by law it appears they are obligated to give me the Dish 300 for free.

What gives????

softwiz said:
Dish needs to get their crap together on this Voom stuff.
Yes, and having CSRs that speaks english would certainly help!

Here is what I was quoted:
America's 180 discounted $10 ($42.99) for months 4-6
America's 180 full price ($52.99) after that
Dish HD Pack $9.99 free for first 6 months
VOOM HD Pack $5 - no freebies
942 incurred a $250 upgrade fee
$0 installation charge for VOOM dish. I require 2 dishes to get all locals, but that doesn't make a difference.
I would also get an 811 receiver, but I will have to call back tomorrow in order to get a 2nd 811 authorized for my 3rd HDTV. CSR seemed hell bent on my using the 942 to support two rooms (down converts to the 2nd set).

If they want my business they need to provide me with 3 HD receivers like I had with VOOM.

riffjim4069 said:
Yes, and having CSRs that speaks english would certainly help!

Here is what I was quoted:
America's 180 discounted $10 ($42.99) for months 4-6
Dish HD Pack $9.99 free for first 6 months
VOOM HD Pack $5 - no freebies
942 incurred a $250 upgrade fee
$0 installation charge for VOOM dish. I require 2 dishes to get all locals, but that doesn't make a difference.
I would also get an 811 receiver, but I will have to call back tomorrow in order to get a 2nd 811 authorized for my 3rd HDTV. CSR seemed hell bent on my using the 942 to support two rooms (down converts to the 2nd set).

If they want my business they need to provide me with 3 HD receivers like I had with VOOM.

I just called the csr. She backed up everything you said except she would not give me the $10 off from 4 to 6 months.

Every call is a $5 and up difference is price.

The Voom.com promotional as stated does not truly exist.
At best there seems to be a $100 switching/surcharge/extra dish fee, as well as montly box fees and also of course a one year committment. So no matter what you call it more money than:

...free offer from Dish Network. TV in up to 4 rooms. HD receivers. Free installation. Over 180 SD channels for $19.99 for the first 3 months. Call 800-969-HDTV.

Dish Deal

I called Dish yesterday and ordered two (2) 811 receivers and two (2) dish for the local and 61.5 channels - keep in mind the "extra" dish was free yesterday when I signed up. After seeing they charged my credit card for the $49.99 "fee", I called Dish this morning to confirm my order. Well, for some reason they had me down for two (2) 322 receivers and one dish. After mentioning I was a former VOOM customer and wanted the dish to pick up the locals and VOOM channels, I was told the "free" dish was $100.00 ($50 for the dish and $50 for the installation). WTF, right? I immediately told the CRS to cancel my install and refund my $49.99.

I was turned over the the "never let them get off that easy" department. I unloaded on the poor guy who answered. I explained to him I ordered Dish on 4/30/2005, when they was no fee for the additional dish. After all was said and done, I had to agree to a one (1) year agreement, which I planned on doing anyhow, but Dish waived the $100.00 "extra" dish fee.

How kind! :shocked

riffjim4069 said:

Their website lists the full price of America's 180 at $47.99 . Has Dish increased the price or did you specify a $5 add on?

Ok .... I'm through with Dish

What a bunch of confused people the person I just talked to just quoted me a different price compared to what they told me when I signed up yesterday. I was trying to get the America's Top 180 plus the "Everything Pack" of (all of the premiums). Originally I was told that this would be $86.99 per month after 3 months but only $44.00/month for the first 3 months. The 3 rooms of HD with the 942 HDDVR in one room was $250.00 non-refundable deposit for the 942, plus $5/month for an additional 811 HD receiver (no monthly charge for the 942 if you have the Everything Pack of premiums) plus a refundable 49.99 for the installation. The High Def. was to be $9.99/month after the first 6 months free. So I thought I was looking at $44.00 + $5.00 =$49.00 per month for the first 3 months, rising to $86.99 plus $5.00 = $91.99 per months 4-6. Then after the $9.99 HD charge kicks in the price would have been $101.98 per month for the final 6 month of the year contract.
I called to confirm that today and the guy was so confused. He kept saying that since I was a new customer, he did not see the components of my plan so it was hard to figure out what I would be paying. That's strange because everyone is new at some point and almost everyone starts with some sort of promotion. He quoted me maybe 3 different "discounts of the America's Top 180 and as many versions of discounts for the everything premium plan.
I called back and canceled Dish and will ride with Comcast for a while.
Wayne

I just call Dishnetwork and the CSR have no clue about the Voom channels being add to Dish. These guy's really suck. Has anyone else had this problem? I want my Voom back.

JeffAtlanta said:
Their website lists the full price of America's 180 at $47.99 . Has Dish increased the price or did you specify a $5 add on?
When you order, it automatically tacks on $5 for locals if they are available in your area (zipcode). I will assume they are available in almost all markets. In my case, I have 2 UHF antennas and receive free, pristine OTA programming from Washington DC, Baltimore MD, and Richmond & Charlottesville VA...but I am forced to pay $5 extra for analog upconverts since they are offered in my area. To answer your question...no, did not arbitrarily add on $5. In fact, I'm so cheap I still bend over to pick up pennies. :rolleyes:

FYI, I have a Dish 811 receiver that has been activated for locals only as no locals can be brought in OTA. So I just called Dish

I was just quoted HD package for half price for six months. They offered me an additional 811 receiver for $50 if I traded in one of my old standard receivers and they would provide shipping labels and credit me $25 so that the 811 would cost $25 plus shipping to me. I tried to get information on any deals on the 942. I told him to look at the years of service I had with them prior to Voom and he stated your average bill was $98/mo. I told him I would buy it all again but was really interested in any deal on a 942. He would not offer me anything, although the 811 deal is pretty good. I told him I was going to read my offer from Directv and call him back later, maybe

riffjim4069 said:
When you order, it automatically tacks on $5 for locals if they are available in your area (zipcode).
Actually, it's $5 plus an addition $5 access fee. They have charged me that forever.

riffjim4069 said:
When you order, it automatically tacks on $5 for locals if they are available in your area (zipcode). I will assume they are available in almost all markets. In my case, I have 2 UHF antennas and receive free, pristine OTA programming from Washington DC, Baltimore MD, and Richmond & Charlottesville VA...but I am forced to pay $5 extra for analog upconverts since they are offered in my area. To answer your question...no, did not arbitrarily add on $5. In fact, I'm so cheap I still bend over to pick up pennies. :rolleyes:
I think it was DarrellP who said you can get an "HD ONLY" package from E* for around $22/month (!) which includes a $5 surcharge for not having any SD channels. I think this is the way I would go, if I end up going with E*.

Sittin in my dark room. No longer VuMin.

1080iBeVuMin said:
I think it was DarrellP who said you can get an "HD ONLY" package from E* for around $22/month (!) which includes a $5 surcharge for not having any SD channels. I think this is the way I would go, if I end up going with E*.

Yes, but don't you have to purchase a gajillion dollars in soon to be outdated hardware? If not then I'm all ears!!!

riffjim4069 said:
Yes, but don't you have to purchase a gajillion dollars in soon to be outdated hardware? If not then I'm all ears!!!
Maybe you are right. Somebody else posted that you don't get any discounts if you go this route. I will give it a few days to settle in, and then I will call E* and find out. (Or probably call Claude at the DishStore.) This is really the only way I would consider E* for Voom10. I have no interest in SD channels whatsoever. I don't want to pay for SD channels I will never watch.

My questions are: how many dishes I need for HD only, how much is the DVR and installation, etc.

During the Voom shutdown watch in the chat room, my computer died (dead battery) before I could give info on the deal I received to switch to Dish....

I requested a three room setup with the HD-DVR, with the America's 180 and all HD programming including Voom 10. Simple, just give to me.

I asked (very nicely) that since I was a Voom sub and that I wanted to get the Voom10 as suggest in the televised scrolling adds, there shouldn't be any additional equipment charge. The CSR agreed with that logic and the second dish was included ..... for free.

I was told that I would receive a 942 for the primary room and 2 each 811s for the remaining rooms.

I like simplicity so here is the lump sum pricing (plus tax).....

$299 (DVR plus $49.00 activation fee) and this has already been pulled from my chg card. 2nd dish is free.

$34.97 for the first three months

$73.97 after that for the remainder of the 12 month commitment.

I asked about the upgrade to MPEG-4 but the CSR didn't know. Not a big deal yet for me.

I have since called Dish again to verify my installation date and walked through the pricing and it is all correct.

Anyway I am pleased with this pricing. All in all....Voom ....Dish ... DirecTV(which I have too) whatever ..... they are just toys....nothing to get upset about.

I deal with telecommunications and provider services all day long on the phone and I have learned how to handle them. To me, ordering something like Dish is just not a big deal.

MichaelG said:
During the Voom shutdown watch in the chat room, my computer died (dead battery) before I could give info on the deal I received to switch to Dish....

I requested a three room setup with the HD-DVR, with the America's 180 and all HD programming including Voom 10. Simple, just give to me.

I asked (very nicely) that since I was a Voom sub and that I wanted to get the Voom10 as suggest in the televised scrolling adds, there shouldn't be any additional equipment charge. The CSR agreed with that logic and the second dish was included ..... for free.

Il.

Which toll-free number did you call?

Michael G. are you locals on 61.5? It could be the reason you got the second dish free. let me know. I tried and still was charged $100 for the second dish. But my programming costs was lower than what you quoted. $19.99 for 3 months for 180 and no charge for any HD until after 6 months. Lots of ways to play with numbers or bury costs.

gutter said:
Michael G. are you locals on 61.5? It could be the reason you got the second dish free. let me know. I tried and still was charged $100 for the second dish. But my programming costs was lower than what you quoted. $19.99 for 3 months for 180 and no charge for any HD until after 6 months. Lots of ways to play with numbers or bury costs.

Yes I am getting the $19.99 for the first three months, but it also includes the receiver month chg, etc.

gutter said:

The CSR told me that the order would show that the 2nd dish would be pointed to 148 but that I could have the installer point it at 61.5.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)