Anyone using Verizon Family Locator?

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
My wife is determined that we setup GPS tracking on my son's phone (a Droid X); he is 14 1/2, and always on the move, and she wants to be able to know where he is during the day. I went to VZW's site, and the family locator package is $9.99/month; but when I go to add it, it says that some of my phones (the two Droid Xs) are capable in a limited way, and can't be participants, but can be administrators. Yet on their website, the phones are listed as being ok for it.

Anyone using this feature; and using it to track a Droid X? Wife and kid's line are not eligible to upgrade to an iPhone until mid-July; and the kid's upgrade will probably be held off until october, IF I choose to get myself an iPhone next, and give him my 4S. (When he pays the bills, he can control his upgrade :D ) . I don't want to waste $10/month on this (heck, don't really want it anyways), but want to make sure it will actually work.

I have used the sprint one and it worked well. Even works on some old school flip phones as long as they are E911 compatible. Very impressive but I didn't need it due to the $5 a month cost on the account. You figure it would work the same way on Verizon being it is cdma as well.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad Cartridge

Will this service even work with the Iphone? Last I checked, I was not able to add it (was just curious how well it worked).

AT&T has a similar service thatworks on the iphone. Not sure why the Verizon would not work. Although there are some wrinkles to CDMA.

My experience with calling VZW service/support has always been very good. I'd call.... I'm sure there won't be any issue with removing the charge if it doesn't in fact work with the Droid X being a "locatee" phone.

Like digiblur, I had it one time on Sprint. It worked will. The only problem is when the kid would turn off the location setting on the phone. When that was done, I'll I'd see is the cell tower foot print.

A friend of mine's wife asked me about this a while ago and my friend said if I did it he would kill me.:eek:
So I guess sometimes it may be better not to know.

I installed Life360, works GREAT on my iPhone, shows me exactly where I am... (but I KNOW where I am! :) ) on my wife and kid's Droid X's? Not so much. With GPS and VZW Locator services on, it shows them within 9000 feet. Sigh...

Guess the next step is to contact VZW and see if their features will work better.

A friend of mine's wife asked me about this a while ago and my friend said if I did it he would kill me.:eek:
So I guess sometimes it may be better not to know.

Not when you have a 14 year old wandering the neighborhoods, and willing to ride his bike 5 or 6 miles to visit friends. Sometime spontaneously.

...on my wife and kid's Droid X's? Not so much. With GPS and VZW Locator services on, it shows them within 9000 feet. Sigh...
Probably why Verizon (in one instance) says their "locator" tool won't work with the Droid X. Sounds like the GPS setup on the Droid X sucks... Is it ~900' off when using Maps, Navigation, or some similar tool/app too ?

I installed Life360, works GREAT on my iPhone, shows me exactly where I am... (but I KNOW where I am! :) ) on my wife and kid's Droid X's? Not so much. With GPS and VZW Locator services on, it shows them within 9000 feet. Sigh...

Guess the next step is to contact VZW and see if their features will work better.

Interesting, the app is very accurate on our Samsung phones.

Not sure I understand. My Verizon Droid X is as accurate as any gps device I've ever owned, and I've owned quite a few Garmins. Must have something to do with the locator interface.

I installed it yesterday (on an HTC Thunderbolt). It has me located within 15' or so... :eek:

No idea - I hope it was just a glitch right now, and once they are outside for awhile it will be more accurate. I was surprised that both phones were so far off, and my iPhone was within 15 feet.

I think the problem was it had not gotten good signals, by being inside. My wife's is now showing it as being within 50 feet, and it is in the same basic location as mine (and she went out and came back in the last hour). This may work yet.

But I do wonder why VZW says that the Droid X is limited for their family locator plan. If this pans out, it will work perfectly for her purposes, just to know where the boy is, when he is out. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)