Anyone want to clear the air on CBS-HD?

JohnTomFerg

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Huntsville, AL
So looking through some of the various posts on the many threads, I continue to see mention of a CBS-HD network, however with the distant network discussion, and what I am interpretting to mean some areas get it and some don't (based on waiver) I am at a loss to understand whether I am missing out on 1 channel in HD (yeah I know, big whoop right?) :)

Who is, and who isn't supposed to be getting it?

You can only get it if you are in a city that has an owned and operated cbs station or an area that does not have a cbs station, known as unserved or white areas, or if you can get your local station to give you a waiver.

SmityWhity said:
Denver has O/O CBS. I have HD-Silver with locals, but Dish denied CBS-HD West and/or East to me.

Well that is disappointing. I want to eventually get CBS-W myself, and I am in the Denver market. Ughh...

depends on what part of DMA you are in. If there is a nearby CBS that claims you as grade b thats why they're denying it

Dish couldn't tell me if I was CONSIDERED to be in another CBS market or not.

I'm located in Aurora, near Smokey Hill and the toll road they call E-470. Personally I can not even get Denver OTA, and for sure not Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, and/or Pueblo (if they even have TV stations).

Is there a link for Grade B data?

A (hopefully) related question.

What other HD 'distant stations' are available for those of us who...

1 - subscribe to Dish Locals, and
2 - our locals do broadcast HD OTA but
3 - Dish does not yet provide the HD content.

Do all HD 'distant stations' require a 2nd dish for 148 or 61.5 like CBS HD?

Thanks in Advance
Talon Dancer

rockymtnhigh said:
Well that is disappointing. I want to eventually get CBS-W myself, and I am in the Denver market. Ughh...

You should be able to get it, Denver is O&O according to the Dish website.

You can always put in for a waiver. I only had to put in about twenty requests (one a week for about 6 months) until my local CBS either screwed up and accidentally gave it to me or just got plain tired of me asking. It is a simple process that can be done online at Dish's website.

AdamGott said:
You should be able to get it, Denver is O&O according to the Dish website.

but if he is in the Grade B of another CBS he doesn't automtically qualify. The Denver DMA is Gi-Normous. So he may be in an area that is Denver locals but close enough to have some podunk CBS blocking him from getting CBS HD

What exactly is this "separate agreement"?

For example, the agreement for local channels directly refer to the license given in the SHVIA. So, the only reason for the agreement to exist is because of the local channel license. If the local channel license were ever injuncted, local channels would cease even with the existance of a "separate agreement".

I'd have to assume the CBS agreement for the HD feed with Dish Network directly refers to the license which is about to be injuncted. After all, the agreement appears to be more of a blanket waiver than a separate agreement, only because CBS could not clear any football or syndicated fare into other markets without using the license.

Folks living in the Denver area should be able to get CBS-East and CBS-West.

I live in the West Arvada area and upgraded to HD about a year ago. Dish informed that though the CBS in Denver was part of the O&O network and should be eligable, I lived too close to the Cheyenne, WY CBS and needed to get a waiver from them. I thing the range was within 100 miles.

I contacted the Cheyenne CBS affliate, told them I lived in Arvada, CO, had Dish Network and needed a waiver. The receptionist I spoke with said she gets the request all the time and knew exactly what to do. She obtained some basic information (name, address, phone) and said she would fax in the request directly to Dish.

Within 48-96 hours I had access to CBS-East (off of 61.5) and CBS-West (off of 148).

With that said, it's unclear to me how the recent supreme court ruling on distant networks will play into this....though from what I read so far, I believe there will be no impact.

622 DVR Limitations on Recording from OTA Antenna Stations

Confused about HD 'Distant Networks'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts