Anyway to change time on the clock of the 508?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

HDTV Rookie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 1, 2003
Texas
I have been noticing time and time again that my recordings are being cut short at the end of the program. I am wondering whether the issue is with the clock on my 508, the delay Dish is putting on the feeds they are giving us, or the network clocks.

I know that I can edit each show to end later than the program guide shows, but that solution will not help me when I have back to back recordings setup. Nor will it be 100% effective if the cause is not identified, b/c if it is a network issue, then if I set the timer to run over, I may miss the beginning of another show if that Network does not have the same issue.

Any ideas

BTW, why does Dish put a delay on a feed that already has a delay from the network

The clock is set by the satellite. There is no adjustment. It appears that the programs you are recording times are off at the source. I do not beleive Dish incorporates any delay..

HDTV Rookie said:
I have been noticing time and time again that my recordings are being cut short at the end of the program. I am wondering whether the issue is with the clock on my 508, the delay Dish is putting on the feeds they are giving us, or the network clocks.

BTW, why does Dish put a delay on a feed that already has a delay from the network
The networks are to blame for this. Just extend the end of your recording and you will be fine. :)

Dish does not put in a delay, instead the delay is caused by the fact that Dish must receive the signal, encode it, send up to the satellite, then it must bounce off the satellite received at your home then decoded. Plus the fact that you have a DVR which buffers live TV an additional tiny delay is put in.

There you have it!

Thx Scott

I guess I will have to figure out which Networks are the culprits, I have at least 2 that I am sure of. My local CBS (cut off the ending of Raymond) and WPIX (cut's off ending of Yu-Gi-Oh)

I guess I assumed It was a delay instituted by Dish b/c when I had the 811 and 508 in a side by side PIP, I saw a delay on the 508 side

If you put a OTA program side by side with the same channel on Dish (or Direct), there is almost a 5 second delay between the two.

I can be talking to someone on the phone while watching the football OTA and go "oh, nice catch" and my buddy will go "huh"? and then "oh, yeah. That was a nice catch" (due to the 5-6 second delay)

The delay is due to all of the relaying. I've see a 1-2 second delay on a 45 mile land T1 link. Every additional decode re-encode adds a little more delay, and as noted, the PVRs add a little more delay for the live buffer. It still is only seconds.

The time is universal, not set by the individual stations. It would be cool if they would all use the same clock, but even if you watch OTA you'll find stations that differ. I've noticed that the national networks can't even keep the time straight.

JL

I think the networks shift their programming slightly to mess with us folks with PVRs. You only miss the end of a show so many times before you make sure and watch it live.

I think they just extend the times to pack in more commercials (on the higher rated programs).

I find start times to be a much bigger problem then end. Generally if I cut off too early I just miss ending credits.

I generally need to set start times 2 mins early to not miss the beginng of shows.

I also vaguely remember there being an issues with shifted times specifically in the Mountain time zone.

Dish's clock is right on. My JVC DVHS deck gets it's time off the air from our local PBS and they both switch minutes within about 5 seconds of each other. I've noticed a lot of local stations will start as much as 1 minute early also.

NBC is particularly guilty of messing with the times shows start. ER often starts around 9:58pm (instead of 10) and I've had the end of Friends cut off because NBC adds an extra minute or two to squeeze in more commercials. CBS has also done this with the Letterman show. I've been recording that on my Dishplayer for years and only recently the closing credits are never recorded because the program lasts longer than the original timer. I'm starting to get really peeved at this practice and rather than being forced to watch shows live, I'm just going to stop watching networks that continue this.

I have several shows (Sports Center, X Play (Tech TV gaming show...)) and they end exactly on time, so they are atomic clock accurate (The PVRs may be a few sceonds off due to buffer lag).

The programmers often pad their most popular shows with extra commercials to squeeze a few more bucks out. Pad your timers and you'll be fine.

BobMurdoch said:
Pad your timers and you'll be fine.

BOB

on good TV nights like Thursday or Sunday, padding your timers just won't cut it b/c there are too many good shows back to back

On Thursday, it may not matter as much b/c I record Survivor, CSI, and Without a Trace, all of them are on the same network, so I should be fine

But on Sundays, When I record Law and Order:CI and then jump to the Practice it will cut off either the end L&O or the beginning of the Practice if I edit the timers. This will only become more troublesome when the Sopranos start in 1 1/2 weeks

Try to record west coast feeds if you can to give you more flexibility. I've got FOX-W and NBC-W which help me spread things out and catch goofs like those aggravating Supersize Thursday episodes NBC is so fond of......

BobMurdoch said:
Try to record west coast feeds if you can to give you more flexibility. I've got FOX-W and NBC-W which help me spread things out and catch goofs like those aggravating Supersize Thursday episodes NBC is so fond of......

I had the West coast feeds when I lived in Maryland, but now that I am in the St. Louis Area, Dish will not give them to me. They say I do not qualify for Distants, tried calling local CBS affiliate, they would give up the waiver either

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)