Apex DT250 pictures and info

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

roashru

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 28, 2005
This converter box has the most features I have found for a coupon approved box.
A list of features that I am glad it has.

aspect ratio
4:3 - normal - zoom
16:9 - normal - zoom - fill

signal meter

s-video
If your close to the TV screen you will notice the slight moving rainbow colors are gone.

the manual attached is page for page the same as the one in the box.

The bad things I have found with this box is the front, top, and sides are black but the power light is bright! a piece of electrical tape will cover that.
If you lose the remote control you can only power it on.

Attachments

• whats_in_the_box.jpg
    whats_in_the_box.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 599
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 712
  • main_menu-s-video.jpg
    main_menu-s-video.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 723
  • display-composite.jpg
    display-composite.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 646
  • apex_digital_dt250_user_manual_english.pdf
    7.2 MB · Views: 840
Last edited:
Waiting for next day digital cameras are terrible in low light. A circuit board full of parts will need the best lighting. Will use a better camera too.

Did anyone read the warranty seal? "label is tempered" ??? he he

When you get around to posting your impressions of the box, please include your zip code, and info about your antenna.
I have found TVfool a useful site to compare your expected signal levels to mine and get a better idea how a given box performs.

I'd looked at that unit a while back, being one of the few with an Svideo connector.
I did a lot of research, and don't recall why , but discontinued pursuit of it.
Will be valuable to talk to someone who actually has one. - :up

Meanwhile, I'm slowly gathering my thoughts on the other Svideo-equipped box. :cool:

Inside the Apex DT250 their isnt much just the Main board and a power supply.
The chips I wanted to get good pictures of was the ATSC demodulator and MPEG video processor the Apex DT250 has an all-in-one chip with a heat sink glued to it so I just used my camcorder for pictures again.

The Apex DT 250 dose have manual channel input its not in the manual the "manual channel set" in the main menu is just a show/hide feature. To manually add a channel to the channel map type in the number of the channel with the dash watch for the on screen channel number to blink next select the signal button on the remote control wait for the channel to come in good enough to get call sign and program data the channel will be added to the channel map automatically. I have already done some DTV DXing first night of having the DT250. I was amazed at what I picked up with the antenna I have here to work with I was getting Tampa, FL DMA channels Jacksonville, FL DMA is possible if the antenna is turned.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/hd-over-air-ota/142723-will-end-tv-dxing.html#post1450700 < first night DTV DXing

Attachments

• inside_apex_dt250.jpg
    inside_apex_dt250.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 698
  • antenna-orlando_dma.jpg
    antenna-orlando_dma.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 406
Something missed here - flash chip, where SW located. Could be on other side ?
As to the heatsink - wait an hour when the converter become hot and gently _rotate_ the sink before lift it up. Later you can reseat it back.
Also, could you make please macro shots of unpopulated connectors - close to main chip and at edge, will be interesting to read silk print.

The memory (Hynix) is the long chip without a heat sink. They used adhesive on U1 not even going to try removing it. J1 next to U1 Im sure is a serial port.

easier to post the U1 PCB print

o 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
J
K
L
M
N
P
R
T
U

That's coordinates ( not telling us about not soldered connectors );
anyway, wait when the heat sink become hot, then just try to rotate it for a few degree left-right, it should move, then remove it.
You can put it back later or throw away - no big deal, the chip will survive, don't worry.

WHY IS A YEAR OLD THREAD REOPENED? Couldn't you just as your question?
It may be a year old thread, but I had relevant info/pictures. (and this thread has the most info, for this converter, I could find on Google)

It just happens I had a question that was related to this thread. and since I was posting the pictures as an afterthought I asked the question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts