Apparent Manhattan bug in front panel programming

Status
Please reply by conversation.

brentb636

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 24, 2006
5 miles N of Saugatuck, Mi
This all started when my Manhattan remote control unit ( rcu) quit working. I changed the batteries and it worked for a minute, then quit again. So I started thinking it was MAYBE the new 4.0 firmware I'd just loaded ( It wasn't , as it turns out).

1. I started trying to use the Manhattan from the stb front panel, and found some problems there.
a. When trying to load a different version firmware, I got into the menu and found that the right and left arrow keys didn't work to select the different *.abs files on the memory stick. So I put only 1 file, plus the channel list on the memory stick and tried again. Once I had loaded the older firmware ( 3.4) and the channel list ( userdb), I thought I'd reset factory defaults.
b. I couldn't reset factory defaults, because I couldn't select "YES" in the menu to restore factory defaults... The left and right arrow keys don't work at that menu level. GRRRR !

c. Kinda frustrated now, so I put new batteries in the remote again, and it worked for about 10 seconds, then quit. So I went back to troubleshooting the remote control unit.. Stretched out the battery contact springs so there could be no doubt about a good connection, and the remote control has worked fine ever since. Simple solution, no big problem BUT ***** IF I NEED TO USE THE STB WITHOUT THE REMOTE RCU< THEN I NEED THOSE STB ARROW KEYS TO WORK IN ALL MENUS. ( Whew, I'm glad I got THAT off my chest ! ) . :)

I've gotten some feedback from Jeff Schumann. Apparently this issue only recently came to his attention, and solving it would require a different chipset. So just plan on basic functions from the front panel, like changing channels, etc. On the positive side, I sent him some $ and he's sending me a spare remote. He says the dealers have spare remotes, also. :)

If it's not possible to modify the arrow keys at that menu level, I've asked if PERHAPS the highlighted default could be changed to "YES" , in the Factory Reset menu, so the arrow keys would be unnecessary . That would serve the purpose to resetting from the front panel. :) This is not a BIG DEAL, but I'm imagining a scenario ( like I thought I might have had ) that the memory is corrupted and the remote can't control the stb, and I want to load new firmware and do a factory reset. At the moment , I could do all but the RESET, and that capability would be reassuring. It's got front panel controls , might as well be as functional as possible. :) Thanks for listening , Jeff.

Last edited:
I was just contacted by Jeff Schumann , vis a vis the arrow key problem in lower menu levels. He's talked to the programmer and apparently it can be corrected. :) It should be incorporated in a future firmware release. Just one of those tiny little fixes, that might help out someday . :) I'm happy about that, I like the Manhattan box and hope it keeps improving. It's definitely a plus to be able to load firmware and restore defaults, if somehow the remote no longer controls the stb.

It will be nice to have an extra form of "disaster recovery". That's why I like rs232 ports on receivers. Being an old electronic troubleshooter, I'm more interested in disaster recovery than in functionality, sometimes. :)

The latest file for the Manhattan is now posted at the Manhattan site. It fixes the button issue. Version 4.1 is the file you need. Have a great day!

The latest file for the Manhattan is now posted at the Manhattan site. It fixes the button issue. Version 4.1 is the file you need. Have a great day!
It's still version 3.8 on the manhattan site as I type this.

It's still version 3.8 on the manhattan site as I type this.
and I have to correct myself because I found 4.1 on the site - don't know why it's not on the page where software update files are posted. You have to look for it on the main page where I usually never go because I don't expect firmware updates to be posted there. EDIT: link to 4.1 is on the main page, takes you to the support page where 3.8 is. they need a webmaster! ;)

and I have to correct myself because I found 4.1 on the site - don't know why it's not on the page where software update files are posted. You have to look for it on the main page where I usually never go because I don't expect firmware updates to be posted there. EDIT: link to 4.1 is on the main page, takes you to the support page where 3.8 is. they need a webmaster! ;)

I just found oiut today that is the problem. The normal guy that does the web stuff is not there. They know whats going on.

4.1 link is really working now (link to support page, 4.1 file linked so you can click to download).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)