Apparently 612s do NOT count as 2 tuners.

tastim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
In the past I was told/lead to believe that a 612, while only hooked up to 1 TV, still counts as 2 tuners in regard to maximum number of leased tuners.... however today, I just had a New Connect work order that called for a 612, 222 and a 211. I had to speak with a CSR anyway since this setup did not actually get the customer what he thought he was getting (HD and DVR on 2 of his 4 TVs... gee never had THIS problem before *sarcasm*) and apparently this is now OK and was available for free for a New Connect....

Just thought I'd pass it on to those that weren't aware.

612's have, from the beginning, designed as the multi-HDTV solution. Or, in other words, it is correct to think of it as each 612 counts as only 1 tuner in regards to the 4 tuner lease limit. This is nothing new. Keep in mind that the 612 does not have any TV2 features, nor PIP functions. These missing features make the box more affordable for Dish to provide up to 4 boxes for lease. In effect, it is like a 721 that is HD capable. If a customer wants the ability to view HD on more than 2 TV's, then Dish recommends 3 or 4 612's. The 612 was designed specifically for such installs from the start, so there is no change regarding the 612; it has been the case from day 1.

Keep in mind that the 612 does not have any TV2 features, nor PIP functions. These missing features make the box more affordable for Dish to provide up to 4 boxes for lease. In effect, it is like a 721 that is HD capable.
I thought the 612 did have PiP. It has 2 tuners like the 721, and the 721 always had PiP, just no TV2 output.

I just got a 612 installed, and I like it. I have the 722 in the living room and have used pip once in 2 years. To each his own, right?

The 612 can probably have pip in the future via a software upgrade, who knows...

I thought the 612 did have PiP. It has 2 tuners like the 721, and the 721 always had PiP, just no TV2 output.
Nope..612 has never supported PIP..A big bone of contention with me. As a customer I won't get one. As a tech I despise having to explain to customers that indeed there is no PIP with the 612

In the past I was told/lead to believe that a 612, while only hooked up to 1 TV, still counts as 2 tuners in regard to maximum number of leased tuners.... however today, I just had a New Connect work order that called for a 612, 222 and a 211. I had to speak with a CSR anyway since this setup did not actually get the customer what he thought he was getting (HD and DVR on 2 of his 4 TVs... gee never had THIS problem before *sarcasm*) and apparently this is now OK and was available for free for a New Connect....

Just thought I'd pass it on to those that weren't aware.

That's part of the reason the 612 was designed. So that Dish could provide a solution for those customers wanting multiple HDDVRs without changing the 4 tuner lease policy.

Nope..612 has never supported PIP..A big bone of contention with me. As a customer I won't get one. As a tech I despise having to explain to customers that indeed there is no PIP with the 612
That's sucks, especially since the remote has PiP buttons.
Makes no sense not to have it, especially since there's 2 tuners already.

That's sucks, especially since the remote has PiP buttons.
Makes no sense not to have it, especially since there's 2 tuners already.

Don't know why. I've never gotten a straight answer as to if it's a software or hardware limitation. Remember, when the 522 first came out, it was a while before single mode was available.

It's a hardware limitation. The 612 can only process one video stream at a time. I don't know if this is a gpu factor or some other hardware issue(or lack of).
Dish may have decided this was a good way to save a few bucks per unit or maybe some conehead engineer decided that having two video streams simultaneously would be a conflict of the 'single tuner' label.
Maybe the next generation 612 (612k?) will have this feature.
Personally, I use the 'swap' function a lot more than PiP.

It's a hardware limitation. The 612 can only process one video stream at a time. I don't know if this is a gpu factor or some other hardware issue(or lack of).

If it only processes 1 vid stream at time, how can I record one program while watching a different program ? (2 video streams)

Walt

No pip - well that cancels my interest in getting a 612 for any reason.

I love being able to watch one show and pause it for commercial break, hit the swap button on the remote and watch another show until commercial break and swap back to the first show. That way, I always have plenty of show buffered up and I can watch more tv. Works great for college football.

If anyone has a pic of the internal chipsets of the 612, it would be fairly easy to determine if the lack of pip is hardware or software. I'm willing to bet it's software.

I just got a 612 installed, and I like it. I have the 722 in the living room and have used pip once in 2 years. To each his own, right?

The 612 can probably have pip in the future via a software upgrade, who knows...

The 612 only has one TV tuner to display a picture that is why no PIP and its the hardware, not the software.

No pip - well that cancels my interest in getting a 612 for any reason.

I love being able to watch one show and pause it for commercial break, hit the swap button on the remote and watch another show until commercial break and swap back to the first show. That way, I always have plenty of show buffered up and I can watch more tv. Works great for college football.

If anyone has a pic of the internal chipsets of the 612, it would be fairly easy to determine if the lack of pip is hardware or software. I'm willing to bet it's software.

You can't do PIP but you can record 2 shows at once. So you can do this by going into "My recordings" and choosing the other recording. So doable with a couple more buttons to push.

One thing I don't like about the 612 that the 622 does not have and that's stutter when fast forwarding and going through the guide or sometimes when pausing a recording you get a repeating stutter sound until you hit the stop button. Its like the buffer on the HD is too small.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)