Apple co-founder Wozniak sees trouble in the cloud

There's been a number of articles talking about the lesser known issues of the cloud services. Quite a few talking about the terms of the agreements you have to agree to in order to use the service.

Yep. That's why I hate to use the cloud. And don't subscribe to the idea of Internet based Software as a Service. Our programs, and our data, are on our site and will continue to work (for the most part) even if the Internet connection goes down.

I use the cloud in many ways. Mostly as an offsite backup of important data. I stuff them in a few different clouds, all encrypted files though.

but I also have local originals and backups too.

Can't have too many backups you know! :)

I do use Skydrive and the online apps on occasion since they will work with practically anything, including my iPad. I also use iCloud for other things, and since the change of what Apple offers in that, none of what is in my iCloud is of any critical importance.

Call me old fashion but I don't trust the reliability of cloud computing. But having said that I recently purchased an annual license to a Google cloud computing app and so far it has worked as claimed. Still, if I had my choice I would have preferred to use this installed on my computer. Unfortunately, there is no real competitor for a local based app. This is the pro version of Google Earth and is required to get a license to distribute content created with the app. It is also the best way to generate high definition broadcast video from the creations I make. Performance of the application is based entirely on your network connection speed.

I also use several other unique applications that are based on "cloud" One is ancestry dot com and the other is my smart phone use of audible.com. I haven't tried to hack either of these to see if I can maintain a local copy but on the surface, it appears that neither of these cloud apps permit access to your paid content if you decide to no longer pay the monthly subscription. Like, can I still listen to my books if the cloud player is no longer available? Maybe I can but I haven't tried it. How about ancestry.com. Can I still access my research on my family genealogy if I end my annual subscription? Its so easy to subscribe, but soon these subscriptions add up and get out of hand. Plus once they got you what's to prevent them from gouging you for higher rates, like our satellite and cable providers. I think only one provider has significantly reduced subscription rates for me and that was Verizon with their new bundled plan for data. My first bill saved me $78 with this and that is significant!

I have no intention of ever relying on cloud for my local computers backups.

The cloud is far better for most people. Yes you are giving up a large amount of control of your digital data, and have to have an internet connection, but most people do not know how to backup and maintain their own computers, so they end up losing everything.

At least with the cloud they are backing stuff up. Yes it could still be lost, but not nearly as likely as an average individual.

With all the talk this week of security I turned on two-step authentication in gmail. To be honest, I did not realize it was there. BUT it is a royal pain. The SMS verification code isn't a big deal, but the special passwords for individual apps is annoying as hell. And not at all easy. There has to be a better way then what they have setup.

With all the talk this week of security I turned on two-step authentication in gmail. To be honest, I did not realize it was there. BUT it is a royal pain. The SMS verification code isn't a big deal, but the special passwords for individual apps is annoying as hell. And not at all easy. There has to be a better way then what they have setup.

I too, tried it for awhile. What a PIA! Every time I tried to do anything I had to go to my phone and look for the text msg with the code number. Plus, i soon realized that with my account having no text msg , each inbound was costing me money that adds up fast.

I too, tried it for awhile. What a PIA! Every time I tried to do anything I had to go to my phone and look for the text msg with the code number. Plus, i soon realized that with my account having no text msg , each inbound was costing me money that adds up fast.

Yeah, a total fail. There has to be an easier way.

You have the option of printing out 10 codes in advance. Then you can use without texting.

Yep. That's why I hate to use the cloud. And don't subscribe to the idea of Internet based Software as a Service. Our programs, and our data, are on our site and will continue to work (for the most part) even if the Internet connection goes down.

Same here. I prefer to control my data. I know what happens when all you have is a generator and no network connection to the world. The managers at my place would have my hide if I could not give them the maps and reports they need at a time like that. If I used some cloud service for say a base map of streets and such my plotter would be pretty blank printing a map.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Been using it for a while on google...I prefer the safety of it. I only have one special password to use and that's on my phone.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)