Apple is in the Gold business- not just the Edition Watch either

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Apple Inc. (AAPL) released its annual environmental report this week, and there are some interesting tidbits within it. According to the document, Apple stated that it recovered 2,204 pounds, or 1.102 US tons, of gold from recycled iPhones, iPads and Macs last year. As of 12:43 PM ET the price of gold was $1,233.79 per troy ounce. That is a grand total of roughly $43.51 million worth of gold!

For those who do not take apart their gadgets to see how they function or those not too familiar with the science of metals, gold components are not uncommon in consumer electronics because it is highly averse to corrosion and an excellent conductor of electricity.

Here is a fun fact: pure silver and pure copper are both more conductive than pure gold. However, silver tarnishes, which means a high resistance oxide/sulfide forms on its surface, while oxidized copper is not very conductive. Gold, on the contrary, does neither, making it a more stable metal when electrical signals for computing need to me transmitted.

Of the 90 million pounds of e-waste through its recycling programs, Apple said over 61 million of those pounds were in reusable materials. Gold made up a relatively trivial amount – the lowest total of all the reusable materials – when compared to the 23.1 million lbs of steel, 13.4 million lbs of plastics, and 11.9 lbs of glass.

$43.51M. But what did it cost to get it? Could be a losing proposition.

One fun thing to see in Perth is a 1 metric ton gold coin at their mint: http://www.1tonnegoldcoin.com/

1. It was a surprisingly small coin (to weigh a ton). It looked about 31 inches in diameter and about 5 inches thick. Gold is really dense.
2. Looked like they did not have much security, but I suppose it would be really hard to carry that coin out considering how much it weighed.
3. A great place to visit if you are interested in coins.

...when compared to the 23.1 million lbs of steel...
That's surprising, I would expect since Apple's computers are mostly Aluminum, steel wouldn't even factor in. I wonder if this means that Windows computer users are sending in (recycling) their steel-cased PCs when they switch over to a Mac?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)