Apple TV+ Is the New HBO

ncted

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
Durham, NC
Netflix wanted to be the next HBO, but I've been thinking AppleTV+ is the one that actually pulled it off.

Netflix wanted to be the next HBO, but I've been thinking AppleTV+ is the one that actually pulled it off.

I remember having conversations with others here on what the future outlook for HBO will be like once they merged Discovery + content into it.

Unfortunately, it looks to be I was correct, they are using that content, which is already paid for since it airs on their Cable Channels, to mask they are not producing as much HBO type content and for cost savings.

I have always had HBO, even in the old days, my year is up in July, gone, I will subscribe to it once a year for a month to catch up, but based on their future outlook, might be a couple of weeks to get current with shows.

Last edited:
I remember having conversations with others on what the future outlook for HBO will be like once they merged Discovery + content into it.

Unfortunately, it looks to be I was correct, they are using that content, which is already paid for since it airs on their Cable Channels, to mask they are not producing as much HBO type content and for cost savings.

I have always had HBO, even in the old days, my year is up in July, gone, I will subscribe to it once a year for a month to catch up, but based on their future outlook, might be a couple of weeks to get current with shows.
Yeah, Max is no additional monetary cost to me. Otherwise, I wouldn't have it most of the year.

You've made this assertion before, always without any evidence. I don't think this is true. I think WBD continues to produce/license just as much original content for HBO (original series, docs, specials) now that it is a part of Max as they did before. Any recent dip in output is, I believe, attributable to last year's strikes which paused film and TV production for several months, but that has affected all streamers/networks, not just HBO.

It's true that HBO carries fewer first-run theatrical films than they used to, now that their output deal with Universal has expired, leaving them at the moment with just Warner films. But they have a new deal in place with A24; those movies should be hitting the service before long.

Now, it is true that Warner has reduced or eliminated original output at TNT, TBS, TruTV and Cinemax, choosing to shift those resources toward Max Originals. But it seems to me that they continue to be very protective of their crown jewel, HBO. Will be interesting to see over the next few years if HBO continues to stream only as a sub-brand within Max or if it goes back to a standalone brand (perhaps as an add-on/step-up tier)...

Reactions: David Ortiz
You've made this assertion before, always without any evidence. I don't think this is true. I think WBD continues to produce/license just as much original content for HBO (original series, docs, specials) now that it is a part of Max as they did before. Any recent dip in output is, I believe, attributable to last year's strikes which paused film and TV production for several months, but that has affected all streamers/networks, not just HBO.
Except the other streamers are not having the same problems, Netflix is putting out as much as ever, Disney+ already has 3 Star Wars/2 more Marvel shows done and set for this year, has 1 Marvel Show done for next year, 1 Star Wars (Andor) in post for 2025, Ahsoka season 2 for 2025 and 2 more Marvel shows filming right now for 2025.

Paramount+ has enough ready until the end of summer, Peacock I have no idea.

Yet some of the big shows Warner announced in 2023, have not even filmed yet, Last of Us #2 does not have all the scripts done yet, now that Pedro Pascal‘s shoulder was broken, looking at late next year.

Then we have the Harry Potter series, which does not even have a showrunner yet, so looking at about 3 years for that.
Now, it is true that Warner has reduced or eliminated original output at TNT, TBS, TruTV and Cinemax, choosing to shift those resources toward Max Originals.
There is no evidence they did that, the reason why is because is because 3 of those channels have lost up to 30 Million per sub fees, Cinemax original series production stoppage was decided a couple of years ago.

So, the only reason was cost savings, not moving production/ development costs to MAX-

UPDATED: TNT and TBS are pausing their scripted game under new parent company Warner Bros. Discovery, which CEO David Zaslav has promised will find $3 billion in cost savings across the new company in the post-merger era, Variety has learned exclusively.

But it seems to me that they continue to be very protective of their crown jewel, HBO.
The only thing they are protective of is cost savings…$$$$.

Last edited:
I agree with the sentiments here. I think MAX is probably the weakest of the six big streamers (others being Peacock, P+, D+/Hulu, Netflix, Apple TV).

MAX just hasn't produced anything worth watching AND they are the most expensive. It is still resting on the HBO premium channel price, but hasn't produced anything close to premium channel content. The show pipeline is dried up and the movie licenses mean nothing today compared to the 90s. They've even cannibalized the catalog content by making some of it available on Netflix. If I didn't get it free from my grandfathered AT&T wireless pacakge, I would not be paying $15/mo or whatever it is now.

I know some here think Peacock is terrible, but I actually do like some of the catalog content + WWE + sports, which, given the very appropriate price point of $5/mo, is fine for me. I actually just found the old Las Vegas tv show with James Caan on there recently and have been enjoying that (recommend as a fun/campy alternative to the endless stream of procedural shows).