AppleTV (2nd gen) dropped dead; advice?

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
Actually it is not completely dead. Still powers on and connects to the network.

The HDMI port on the AppleTV and the port it was connected to on my A/V receiver quit working yesterday.

- AppleTV on any HDMI port or direct to the TV = "no signal"
- any other, known working device on the port the AppleTV was connected to = "no signal"

I wonder what could have happened and if there's any way to fix it short of replacing the affected equipment.

Anybody got an AppleTV2 with dead power supply I can have the logic board out of?

Additional information:

Just got my cable Internet back, they had to replace "something" at the street that got hit by lightning. Apparently the lighning passed thru the cable modem (which still works) and fried the WAN port on my router. I'm guessing that's what killed the HDMI port on the AppleTV and the A/V receiver.

I should probably pull the paperwork on that APC UPS and see if their damage warranty is as good as they claim.

I also probably should have put this thread in the "Streaming video" area instead of where I did.

The really bad part is 2nd generation AppleTV sell for around twice the original cost if you can find one. Because the 3rd gen is not jailbreakable yet.

Pepper said:
The really bad part is 2nd generation AppleTV sell for around twice the original cost if you can find one. Because the 3rd gen is not jailbreakable yet.
I have a 720p AppleTV. If you send me a 3rd gen AppleTV, I'll send you the 2nd gen ATV... ;)

The Apple Store has refurbished 3rd generation Apple TVs for $85. http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod/apple_tv

Sorry to hear about your voltage spike. Lightning can mess up a lot of stuff that might not even be close to where it hits. This place I used to work had two buildings about 300 feet apart. The engineers that started the company wanted to put in a PBX, so they contracted someone to trench in a 100-pair phone cable and buried it below the frost line. The phones worked and we used some of the pairs for current loop connections between the terminals and the minicomputers. All was fine until a thunderstorm passed overhead. Even though there weren't any ground hits, it turned out that the two buildings were feed from two separate power poles and the grounds between the buildings were unbounded. They lost about two dozen phones and the serial I/O card on the mini, all from the voltage differential induced from the thunderstorm.

That's why I like fiber optics for anything exceeding 200'.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)