Archive 622 recordings to my PC / blu-ray

SteveC

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 10, 2004
Now that you can buy a reasonably price PC with a blu-ray recording drive, is it possible to get a show recorded on my 622 to my PC for blu-ray recording? If this is possible, what hardware and connections would I need? Would this be easier with a different Dish receiver?

Technically, yes, but it's either expensive or pointless. You can use a Hauppauge HD PVR to capture recordings output via Component output of the 622, but it's pricey and acts in real time. The process and connections are essentially the same as using a $50 standard-def capture card or a $75 DVD recorder appliance, except that you're using Component (720p or 1080i) outputs instead of the 480i Composite output.

Honestly, learning how to rip your own DVDs and Blu-ray is a lot less expensive and frustrating.

Black Magic Design card

It is not a file move to PC, it is real time transfer of a recording. You can use a Black Magic Design card card to input into PC then burn to a blu-ray disc. That's about the only way of getting it to a B-R disc. You can thank the movie studios for that little pain in the neck. They want you to pay for every play here in the US. Japan has had Bue-Ray STB's for good while but unlikely we will see them here. :rant:

HDD space is really close to DVD-R media, actually. I've seen 1TB disks for $75, and a 250-pack of DVD-Rs seems to be around 65. Then again, with HDDs, you have to worry about mechanical failure, but opticals only fear oxidation and scratches.

DVD-DL blanks are about a buck each, making them a lot more expensive than HDDs. To Steve, have you considered the cost and complexity of trying to master a playable BD-R from "raw" video files? Just wondering how much you've actually thought about this.

Looks like BR blanks are about $3 for a 25GB blank, that's about $0.16 per GB, while hard drives are about half that per GB.

Then you amortize in the cost of the BR burner ($250+) plus your time and the software that might be needed...

Not enough use

Looks like BR blanks are about $3 for a 25GB blank, that's about $0.16 per GB, while hard drives are about half that per GB.

Then you amortize in the cost of the BR burner ($250+) plus your time and the software that might be needed...

There are enough using them in the states and so the reason for the high prices. The B-R burners are down to around 200 now though.

If you rip them into a format that other devices can understand like the PS3 (which the hauppauge HD supports), it can be more convient to keep on a media server than an external HD. Plus then you also have the programs if you ever leave dish.

I've converted a few blu-ray from BD-25 down to fit on DVD-DL. They look AMAZING for being on a 9GB disc. AMAZING. Whatever the advanced codecs are that blu-ray players can use, it makes a big difference.

I think even if you had a DVD-DL burner and were making BD-9's out of them, you would love the quality. That would get ya away from the $3.50 BD-R blank cost for a while.

I can see a REAL advantage to taking a 20GB Blu-ray title and downresing it to DVD-9 (DVD-DL); that would probably produce better quality results than trying to capture video from analog outputs from a satellite box. Downresing a Blu-ray to 480p and applying a more advanced codec (via WMV, DivX, Nero, or other h.264) would probably yield nearly the same picture quality with DVD-5 file sizes.

I was examining some of my DVDs for a media archive this week, and noticed a lot of really bad transfers from about 10 years ago. Edward Scissorhands (c2000) was okay, at about 6GB for the main title. The initial DVD releases of The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth (c1999) were bloody awful at about 3-3.5GB for the ENTIRE VOB. Naturally, this was to allow for over an hour of "Special Features" on the same disc, which is a crime against humanity, nevermind videophiles.

I really think that Sony was on to something with their Superbit DVD Collection. Too bad nobody else picked up on that.

Last edited:
I havent pushed it to DVD-5. I imagine the source would become quite important. For example, Kung Fu Panda is only like 13 or 14 GB to begin with. This would probably look fantastic on DVD-5.

CG animated titles are easy to compress. As long as you keep the final bitrate to less than 9.8 Mbit/s including audio, just roll the dice and see what happens...

Personally, I have a 37" 720p LCD from which I sit exactly 10'. I can't tell the difference from the couch between OTA HD picture and the picture that my $98 upconverting DVD recorder puts out, though I can see a difference between Dish HD and OTA HD if the conditions are right. So for me, it's not the resolution, but artifacting that makes the difference. On that same $98 upconverter, I can see a clear difference between Dad's Superbit The Fifth Element and my $5 "Special Edition" Walmart copy, which reinforces the above assessment. I guess my visual acuity is on the poor end of the spectrum, but my sensitivity to seeing artifacts is excellent. Trying to watch Dad's analog cable on his 37" 720p TV from 6' away is almost painful.

A buddy brought over his PS3 one time, and we watched a couple of Blu-ray movies. The picture was very good; better than SAT and upconverted DVD, but not worth the $150 hardware and 70-ish movie titles I'd have to replace to go Blu. I also never see a time when I'll be installing more than 5.1 speakers, or spending more than $1000 total on a sound system, so the advantages to the new audio codecs and 7.1 channel sound are also lost on me.

Some day that TV will be a 50" plasma, but neither it nor the couch are moving, so theoretically there's still no need for me to buy a 1080p set if there are still good 720p, 96Hz sets on the market. Give me low resolution, but high bitrate, and I'm a happy dude.

When

Personally, I have a 37" 720p LCD from which I sit exactly 10'. I can't tell the difference from the couch between OTA HD picture and the picture that my $98 upconverting DVD recorder puts out, though I can see a difference between Dish HD and OTA HD if the conditions are right. So for me, it's not the resolution, but artifacting that makes the difference. On that same $98 upconverter, I can see a clear difference between Dad's Superbit The Fifth Element and my $5 "Special Edition" Walmart copy, which reinforces the above assessment. I guess my visual acuity is on the poor end of the spectrum, but my sensitivity to seeing artifacts is excellent. Trying to watch Dad's analog cable on his 37" 720p TV from 6' away is almost painful.

A buddy brought over his PS3 one time, and we watched a couple of Blu-ray movies. The picture was very good; better than SAT and upconverted DVD, but not worth the $150 hardware and 70-ish movie titles I'd have to replace to go Blu. I also never see a time when I'll be installing more than 5.1 speakers, or spending more than $1000 total on a sound system, so the advantages to the new audio codecs and 7.1 channel sound are also lost on me.

Some day that TV will be a 50" plasma, but neither it nor the couch are moving, so theoretically there's still no need for me to buy a 1080p set if there are still good 720p, 96Hz sets on the market. Give me low resolution, but high bitrate, and I'm a happy dude.

When you get a TV that can't make a difference even you will see it. A 37 " LCD just isn't something that you can see much of any difference for any format. Yes I have more into my Yamaha 7.1 surround receiver than you have in your whole system. Some of us just have different priorities on how we listen & watch. :eek:

To bring this back on track, the OP asked about capturing the analog outputs of a 622 and mastering Blu-ray discs with that content. My original reply was, "More trouble than it's worth, and here's why..." Watchel, with your level of money invested in your HT system, I don't think you'd be satisfied with the results, either.

If there was a way to move the MP4 files off of a 622, chop into it chapters, fabricate a transport stream around, and press it to BD-R, that might be worth it...Except that Dish already compresses their streams to bitrates low enough to fit on a DVD-DL. Even if it worked, which we wouldn't be talking about on this forum, there are cheaper, more portable ways to get your content, though even less legal.

To the people with R5000s, I'm jealous, at least I think I could be. To the people with 73" 1080p sets who sit less than 7' away, I'm definitely jealous. I just hate to see people buy prime rib when a cheeseburger is more nutritious, just as filling, and would have been as satisfying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)