Archiving recorded programs?

severtson

Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
Does anyone have any experience with archiving programs recorded on a 522 receiver? I've been looking at purchasing a DVD-recorder for this purpose, but wanted to first check this forum to see if there were alternative archive methods of pulling the MPEG-2 files from the 522 hard drive. Any advice / expertise here is greatly appreciated.

I record to my digital camcorder, then edit and make DVD's on my computer.
I use Vegas Video from Sony for editing.

I just use RCA's. Looks good enough for me. I could use S-Video, but too much trouble for too little gain. It is a shame to run the video through two D/A A/D conversions, but there is no other choice. Unless the Tivo hacking folks start having fun with Dish DVR's.

Stay away from Video Wave from Roxio. It has a programming flaw that results in out of sync audio for anything over 30 mins. in length...

Thanks cheezwiz, I guess I'll do it the same way. Do you know if windows media player 9 will play back the capture although I don't really have any good video capture software I'll have to get some first then I'll just check it out for myself. Thanks for the tip on Video Wave

cheezwiz said:
I record to my digital camcorder, then edit and make DVD's on my computer.
I use Vegas Video from Sony for editing.
That's exactly what I do.. Even with analog cable, the results are pretty decent..

I heard that doing this with a PVR isn't much worse than just ripping the file off the hard drive, because you have to re-encode the MPEG anyways because of the non-DVD compliant resolution and for editing out commercials.. Resizing and re-encoding from a lossy algorithm such as MPEG (as opposed to DV) isn't optimal.

522 - Archiving Programs

I am interested in this...

What format are the files in on the DVR? Are you archiving them only by replaying them and outputting to another device, like a VIVO connection on PC or something?

Is there a way export to an external USB 2.0 HD connected to the USB or something?

It's not a digital copy, but I've been using a Panasonic DMR-E80H DVD recorder. If I want to edit out commercials I 'burn' to the E80 hard drive (and then edit them out), otherwise I go straight to DVD. I only have a 27" TV , but the recorded discs come out (IMHO) at 95%-99% of original quality. No fussing with PCs, editing software, etc. Note: The newer model is a DMR-E85H, which has a few more features than my old DMR-E80H.

I chose this Panasonic from among other set-top DVD recorders because it featured "flexible recording" mode... which means I can put a 2hr 15min movie onto a single DVD disc and it will use the entire disc and make it as best quality as it can. Other DVD recorders are limited to standard SP, LP, EP (2hr, 4hr, 6hr) recording modes, thus for your 2hr 15min movie you're stuck recording at LP mode (4hr) with resultant poorer quality and wasted disc space.

I used this forum for a resource when deciding on PC -vs- standalone DVD recorder, as well as for hunting a DVD recorder.

I'm very, very happy with my choice of a set-top recorder compared to a PC-based solution - it's soooo easy just to start the DVR playing and push a button or two on the DVD recorder and walk away and let it "do its thing". After the disc burn you then do any titling you want via the E80 remote (somewhat clumsy, but not too bad), then "finalize" the disc so that it will play in another DVD player.

video62 said:
I'm very, very happy with my choice of a set-top recorder compared to a PC-based solution - it's soooo easy just to start the DVR playing and push a button or two on the DVD recorder and walk away and let it "do its thing". After the disc burn you then do any titling you want via the E80 remote (somewhat clumsy, but not too bad), then "finalize" the disc so that it will play in another DVD player.
The set-top method is waaaaay easier than any PC-based solution, but if you are a serious computer nerd, the PC route is necessary as you have absolute control over the content.. (Make sure you have time on your hands..)

Wishbone said:
(Make sure you have time on your hands..)
Yea, dat's why I went the set-top route... plus having a bunch of old VHS family home movies to xfr to DVD. A no brainer, really. If you have lots of time, then, by all means, knock yourself out.

Yeah, I like adding in bonus features and custom menus and such....
I knock myself out on a regular basis... The druel in the keyboard is annoying at 3 AM though.... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)