This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Are 3D televisions worth the price?

leosaysmeow

Original poster
May 28, 2013
USA
I have heard a lot of hype surrounding 3D televisions. Does anyone own one? What are your thoughts on it? Are they worth the price? Right now I have a Sony HDTV that I am pleased with, but should I purchase a 3D television? Thanks in advance.

There are various opinions on this subject. Some people are more enthusiastic about 3D than others. Personally, I wouldn't buy a 3D TV just for the sake of it. However, if you are buying a new HDTV set anyway, then it might be worth getting one with 3D. I don't watch 3D too often, but I do enjoy a 3D movie once or twice a month and love having this feature. The price difference is not huge. Definitely worth it for me!

Think of the cost of glasses. If the TV you like comes with 3D, fine. Your doubt indicates no reason to pay extra for 3D.

4K will be a different animal. But not in our cost range, eh?

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I believe this is a question only you can answer. I have been a fairly vocal critic of the future of 3D on this site, but my answer is not yours. All I can say is that if you can be absorbed in the film and have a newish set, I personally don't think it is worth the price. Of course, I invested in my projector, screen and receiver just before 3D came out and it would all need to be replaced, so it may very well be sour grapes. I don't feel the loss though.

I have heard a lot of hype surrounding 3D televisions. Does anyone own one? What are your thoughts on it? Are they worth the price? Right now I have a Sony HDTV that I am pleased with, but should I purchase a 3D television? Thanks in advance.

I would not go buy a new 3D set to replace a set you are happy with right now. I do not own a 3D set, but I buy 3D bluray sets, since I suspect that the next TV I purchase will be 3D. I am still waiting on a reasonable 3D front projector (i.e. passive at a reasonable price). I know it will probably be a few more years for 4k passive 3D FP. JVC makes 4k 3D projectors right now, but they do not take 4k input, hopefully next year's model will do so.

If you need another set 3D is pretty easy to get at most price ranges, I think it would be worth it to have.

My 3D Panny was my best purchase last black friday and worth $$$$$.. and with Directv 3D channels even better.

Oh and 3D BR buck fitty rentals can't complaint neither

go check it out.
imo smaller than 60'' looked funny but 60''+ was ok
if had the room would go 82'' but settled for a 73''
not good for sports but movies are cool and i too have the DTV 3d channel

My most recent TV is 3D though I didn't buy it because of 3D, but because it was a better set in many other ways. Don't regret the purchase at all, and in fact have watched some 3D.

While 3D does bring something to the show, unfortunately too many movies go for the effect at the expense of the movie itself. Glasses these days are cheap enough for most sets, so that shouldn't be a big deal breaker either.

I like Golf, Tennis & Football in 3D, the Little League World Series looks good, I used to have an MLB All star game on the dvr, it looked good... From my camcorder I've had mixed results on Juco Softball, H.S. Football looks really good and wildlife/hunting/hiking results are excellent.

The concept of 3D is nice but I wouldnt pay an extra dime for it. Besides there is a huge from watching a 3D movie in a cinema (30ft screen) as opposed to a tiny 60" whereas your looking straight and focused.

I just notices after reasing the Bravia manual my 3D glasses are powered...kinda explains why 3D blew on mine.

Our Vizio came with 3D already but I wouldn't have paid big bucks just to get a set with 3D. The DVD's are more than a typical blu ray cost. We like the 3d capability but don't use it as much as we did..the novelty aspect sort of wore off for me, unless the grand kids are here and they are glued to the 3D movies.

I like Golf, Tennis & Football in 3D, the Little League World Series looks good, I used to have an MLB All star game on the dvr, it looked good.
that's cool
myself the normal 3d like sports even movies just looks like those nice 3d cards back in 70s 80s. but the special effects in movies and such are WAY COOL
like the fishes coming right at you

that's cool
myself the normal 3d like sports even movies just looks like those nice 3d cards back in 70s 80s. but the special effects in movies and such are WAY COOL
like the fishes coming right at you

Actually, that is probably the main reason I resist going 3-D. It seems that 90% of directors can't resist showing how clever they are by throwing something at the audience, or sticking a spear, pool cue, leg or something right at you. It jars me right out of the story and makes me think instead about 3-D. A good 3-D movie will place effects BEHIND the screen and use them for ambience. Avatar did it right and made a success out of an otherwise trite film. Others should take a lesson, but I guess not everyone can be a Cameron.

There are many movies that use 3D right and some of the conversions really rock such as Titanic, Top Gun and Men in Black... You should see some of the videos shot by people with camcorders like one of our members Don in full resolution, he has created videos of nature that are really impressive!

Yeah, I will give you that. I should have said resisted. Basically, the main reason for me is that I decided not to wait and bought my equipment. Cheap crumudgeon I am, I will keep using it until I find a compelling reason to upgrade.

Still, the "look at how clever I am" crowd still seems to dominate new releases.

If you are unsure and have not seen today's movies in 3D, go to a theater and watch a few. Check out an action movie, a drama, and a fantasy or sci fiction. There are enough in our megaplex theaters today to get good variety. If the 3D excites you, than do get a 3D TV and a good 3D BluRay player. If youy didn't like it in the theaters then it's unlikely you will like it at home. I would do Real 3D, not IMAX 3D because you can't get the IMAX 3D look at home, yet. ( Yet because IMAX has announced a Home IMAX system coming soon for those who can afford it. ) Expensive glasses are no longer the issue. That is 2 year old story. Today you can just take home your Real 3D glasses from the theater and use them on your passive 3D TV.

Finally, if you decide you don't want 3D TV then better buy quickly as the industry will soon have all new TV's equipped with 3D whether you want it or not. Adding it to a TV as a passive screen design is just not that expensive to make 2 versions. It will soon be like saying I want a new TV but no UHF channels. They all have them.

Why? because of this?

Today you can just take home your Real 3D glasses from the theater and use them on your passive 3D TV.

I also take my own glasses each time so I save them money not having to pay to recycle. They still charge extra for the 3D movie anyway. So, in effect, it is a cost savings for me to recycle my own glasses I paid once for.

Aren't the theaters just reissuing the glasses over and over, probably without even washing them?