Are 61.5 and 148 mirrors of each other?

minustwentyseven

Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
After spending 50 minutes on hold, I finally got through to Hindustan and placed my order. The CSR would only allow me to upgrade my SD DVR, but neither of the other two SD boxes. He said the HD DVR will arrive in 7 to 10 business days.

I told the CSR I have dishes pointed at 110, 119, and 148, and asked if I need 61.5 to receive all the HD signals. He said that 148 and 61.5 are mirrors, so my 148 will receive all of the new HD channels. Is this true?

minustwentyseven said:
After spending 50 minutes on hold, I finally got through to Hindustan and placed my order. The CSR would only allow me to upgrade my SD DVR, but neither of the other two SD boxes. He said the HD DVR will arrive in 7 to 10 business days.

I told the CSR I have dishes pointed at 110, 119, and 148, and asked if I need 61.5 to receive all the HD signals. He said that 148 and 61.5 are mirrors, so my 148 will receive all of the new HD channels. Is this true?
No, the new HD is only uplinked to 61.5 and 129. You'd need to replace your Dish 500 with a Dish 1000, and use a DPP44 switch to see all four birds.

And welcome :welcome

Bummer. What channels are specific to 61.5/129? I mean, I only subscribed to DishHD Gold. Is it just the Premium channels that are on 61.5/129? If so, then maybe the CSR was technically correct that I would get all the HD I was subscribed to...

minustwentyseven said:
Bummer. What channels are specific to 61.5/129? I mean, I only subscribed to DishHD Gold. Is it just the Premium channels that are on 61.5/129? If so, then maybe the CSR was technically correct that I would get all the HD I was subscribed to...
The Gold package contains channels from the wing satellites and 110/119. Sorry.

Maybe you could point your 148 dish to 129, if you don't mind losing what was on 148.

No but I'd suggest you just upgrade your Dish 500 to a 1000 because 148 will give you better bitrates on the two HD movie channels as well as a much larger bitrate on the HD PPV.

Thanks guys. I called back to Hindustan and re-scheduled the install that is included in the $299 upgrade. This morning the CSR offered me an 11 March install date. This afternoon the CSR said the earliest date is now 28 March. Oh well, as long as everything is in place before the World Cup in June!

Wow, thanks LER. Great list. Looks like I really do need 61.5/129 if I want to see in HD. I may take mdonnelly's suggestion and point my 148 at one of the twins, at least until my install date. I'm planning on putting up an OTA antenna anyway, so I'll still get my HD locals. Will E*'s programming guide give me info for OTA locals (I assume 'no,' but I figured I'd ask anyway...).

yes if you subscribe to local programming.. the only one that you dont have to sub to locals is with the 811. It also depends on where you live as not all areas have LILHD info into the guide ;)

Cool. I live near San Francisco and subscribe to the locals, so I guess the EPG on the VIP-622 will work for my OTA channels, eh?

so, if the channels are mirrors of each other on two different satellites, and you turn the reciever to that channel number, which satellite does it pull the signal from?
Reason I ask is that my 61.5 signal strength is great, but my 129 strength isn't so great.
And with an earlier software upgrade, the dupilicate channels were removed, so I can't choose a specific feed that way.

So does anyone know which it pulls off of? Strongest? First into the switch? Random?

Easy enough to disconnect feed from 129 or 61.5 to get only one. Now if locals are on one and better picture is on the other, then peak the lesser, especially the one with locals. FWIW

-Ken

My conundrum is mostly between 61.5 and 148. I have 61.5 up for sky angel and some of the PI's (Pentagon channel), and put 148 up for CBS HD West feed, but can only get it peaked to around 48 (I have a elevation of 6), which allows me to lock into TP 13, but very prone to rainfade.
I'm curious which satellite my reciever will lockin on when I turn to Pentagon Channel witch is mirrored on 61.5 & 148. Will it go after the stronger or will it go after the first into the switch (I have 61.5 in input 3 and 148 in input 4), or will it be random (that would be bad as 148 could be selected when I want 61.5).

I miss the old days when both would be in the guide...
btw, I repointed the temporary 129 fix I had back to 148 when the HD feeds got turned back off for DNS on 129.

Derwin0 said:
so, if the channels are mirrors of each other on two different satellites, and you turn the reciever to that channel number, which satellite does it pull the signal from?
Reason I ask is that my 61.5 signal strength is great, but my 129 strength isn't so great.
And with an earlier software upgrade, the dupilicate channels were removed, so I can't choose a specific feed that way.

So does anyone know which it pulls off of? Strongest? First into the switch? Random?

My Vip211 seems to be smart enough to latch onto the strongest signal. When I had the 6000, it would give priority to 129. The receivers seem to stay with a given satellite once selected, unless signal drop-outs happen. The receiver does not constantly switch back and forth.

Iceberg said:
nope

129 & 61.5 are mirrors of each other HD wise but not 148

I just got off the phone and signed up for the 811 to 211 upgrade. The CSR claimed I needed to re-adjust my 61.5 dish to the 129 position. From what I've read on here that isn't true. I don't care about local HD over sat since my OTA HD works great in this area. All the other HD channels, new and old are mirrored 61.5 and 129 correct?

Grumpy said:
I just got off the phone and signed up for the 811 to 211 upgrade. The CSR claimed I needed to re-adjust my 61.5 dish to the 129 position. From what I've read on here that isn't true. I don't care about local HD over sat since my OTA HD works great in this area. All the other HD channels, new and old are mirrored 61.5 and 129 correct?
Yes.