Are all Android phones the same?

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
So I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to smartphones, so please be nice. I'm still using the old faithfull standard flip phone. But my current ATT contract expires next month and I think I would like a new "toy". It seems the craze right now is leaning towards the android phones. But it gets very confusing trying to sort them out. Am I right in assuming the Verizon Droid is the most popualr of these phones? Again, this is strictly a "toy", I would not use this for business. I've considered the I-phone and staying with ATT, but I get a discount with verizon through my place of employment, so I'm leaning towards going with them. Any thoughts?

No, they are not all the same. Android is the OS. But the phones all have different hardware. Kinda like walking into the computer store and they have 7 different laptops...they all run Windows7 but each have different features.

No, they are not all the same. Android is the OS. But the phones all have different hardware. Kinda like walking into the computer store and they have 7 different laptops...they all run Windows7 but each have different features.
:up:up

You also have to watch because Verizon has put a generic term of Droid on all of their Andriod phones. Each of them are very different in hardware as Digi explained as well as potentially different support for the software. Example is the Droid Eris may never see another OS update unlike the Moto Droid or the Droid Incredible. Both of these are more powerfull devices that will be seeing the 2.2 update one of these days.

So what can the Moto Droid do that the Droid Incredible can't do, and vice versa? It seems the Moto Droid gets the best reviews, but the Incredible is a little more expensive. And of course my ATT contract will not be up for another month. Is there anything better coming within the next month or so that I should look into?

All the Androids have little variations in hardware and software. Some use Stock Android for the OS (Nexus One, Motorola Droid) while others use Sense UI (Incredible, EVO) and some use a trackpad of some sort while others don't.

The best thing to do if it's the Droid VS the Incredible is to just go to the Verizon store and try both of them out. The biggest difference is the Droid has a hard keyboard, which some people really like. I found it to be negligible because the keys aren't raised and I found myself typing with my fingernails as opposed to the actual fingers. Also, keep in mind that the Droid is coming down drastically in price to clear out inventory for the upcoming Droid 2 and Droid X. If you like the Sense UI of the Incredible you should go for that. I found it to be nice but a little bloated on my dad's EVO. Bottom line is though that you should be satisfied with either purchase and it really will just come down to how appealing (or unappealing) each one's quirks are.

So what can the Moto Droid do that the Droid Incredible can't do, and vice versa? It seems the Moto Droid gets the best reviews, but the Incredible is a little more expensive. And of course my ATT contract will not be up for another month. Is there anything better coming within the next month or so that I should look into?

Droid incredible has a native processor that runs 200MHz faster and it has more internal memory, but a smaller Micro SD card. Incredible runs the SenseUI on top of Android 2.1; Moto Droid runs the standard 2.1 as Verizon has put it together.

Many of us are running Droids at 800Mhz over-clocked, and running Android 2.2 rooted. It is NOW possible to root the Incredible, but there is less support for
that on the forums. I once ran my Droid at 1100Mhz, but it is a battery hog, so 800 is fine.

As I write this, I am tethered to my droid via USB and the Droid is providing my internet. I can also tether via wifi, but my droid's battery needed to charge, so I opted for the USB connection. Tethering is a 2.2 feature.

Also - on 2.2, the Droid's benchmarks are better than the Incredible's on 2.1, but no one has been able to run Froyo (2.2) on the Incredible yet, so there is no real comparison.

So when is the Droid 2 and Droid X supposed to be released?

Droid X on July 19, Droid 2 sometime in August

Motorola Droid X's Launch Date Leaks Out

Unofficial reports have pointed to the Motorola Droid X hitting store shelves some time in July, and now the exact launch date for this highly-anticipated Android OS smartphone has leaked out of Verizon Wireless.

According to an unconfirmed report, the Droid X will be released on Monday, July 19.

Verizon's retail stores are supposedly going to be opening early that day, and no employees can be on vacation.

http://www.brighthand.com/default.a...oogle+Android+OS+2.2+Motorola+Droid+2+Verizon

There is good news and bad news for those who are looking forward to Verizon's release of the Motorola Droid 2.

The bad news is that this model will reportedly launch in August, not July as had been first thought.

The good news is that this delay will give time for this smartphone to debut with Android OS 2.2, not version 2.1 as had been originally rumored.

Something else to consider. Generally speaking, Android phones not running a manufacturer specific UI (such as Sense, MotoBlur) tend to get OS updates faster than those that do.

Something else to consider. Generally speaking, Android phones not running a manufacturer specific UI (such as Sense, MotoBlur) tend to get OS updates faster than those that do.

Yup, that is the truth. AND they tend to be the ones that the modders develop custom roms for, i.e., Moto Droif and Nexus One.

The HTC Hero has a ton of custom roms so that does not fully fit here.
Yes and no.. Yes they have custom rom's but as far as getting updates in a timely fashion.. Also what about running a froyo rom? With sense and motoblur these things take longer and is not as good. The best is vanilla android. This is why i will not be getting the Moto Droid two. Yes motoblur is toned down but still very unnecessary. Still i am very tempted to also get a Droid 2!! :D

Yes and no.. Yes they have custom rom's but as far as getting updates in a timely fashion.. Also what about running a froyo rom? With sense and motoblur these things take longer and is not as good. The best is vanilla android. This is why i will not be getting the Moto Droid two. Yes motoblur is toned down but still very unnecessary. Still i am very tempted to also get a Droid 2!! :D

Never said they don't get the new updates any earlier. Just was talking about the custom roms. There are many plain vanilla android roms out there for the Hero right now. And yes there is one for 2.2 but it is very very very unstable right now.

Never said they don't get the new updates any earlier. Just was talking about the custom roms. There are many plain vanilla android roms out there for the Hero right now. And yes there is one for 2.2 but it is very very very unstable right now.
Thank you that is my point.

No it wasn't but that is OK. ;)
Humm OK?

As many others have said all Androids are not the same.

I have the Moto Droid while VZW also carries Droid Incredible and Droid Eris. I would steer clear of the Droid Eris and Wait for Droid 2 or get the Droid or Droid Incredible. VZW also has the LG Android now I believe.

Sprint has the Moment and Hero. Both are now on 2.1. My boss has the Moment and said it is a different phone with a 2.1 now.

T-Mo has the MyTouch and My Touch Slide along with the original G1. The My Touch Slide is a nice phone for T-Mo.

So as usually not all are the same. I really like my Droid and look forward to a Touch Screen only one in the near future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)