Are Channels like MeTV, RTV, Antenna Offered on Main Channels - Not Sub-channels

eacalhoun

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 20, 2006
Morganton, NC
Is anyone aware of any Local Channels that offer common sub-channel programming like MeTV, RTV, etc on a main channel instead of a sub-channel? If so, is that local available (airing Me, RTV, etc) on DISH or DirecTV?

In most cases these are sub channels and DISH carries very few sub channels. In my market CBS and NBC are the prime channels but FOX and ABC are sub channels so DISH does carry them.

In most cases these are sub channels and DISH carries very few sub channels. In my market CBS and NBC are the prime channels but FOX and ABC are sub channels so DISH does carry them.

I am aware that the channels I described are typically sub-channels - and thus DISH/DirecTV do not carry them since they are not a "Big 4" Network. I am just curious as to whether any channel carries these "MeTV, RTV, AntennaTV-type" channels on their MAIN channel - which in all likelihood would mean that DISH/DirecTV carries the channel.

Eric

The reason I posed this question, is because my local Charlotte Fox affiliate is going to be moving in July. The longtime Fox affiliate WCCB is losing Fox to CW-affiliated WJZY. Naturally, one would think CW would move to WCCB but CW is not burning up the ratings and WCCB may not want it. Of course, WCCB doesn't have a lot of options losing their major affiliation. I am just "thinking out loud" of the possibility of WCCB moving its sub-channel MeTV programming to its main channel when they lose Fox. Which network would be more profitable for them - CW or MeTV? I'm old (age 45) so MeTV appeals to me more than CW.

The reason I posed this question, is because my local Charlotte Fox affiliate is going to be moving in July. The longtime Fox affiliate WCCB is losing Fox to CW-affiliated WJZY. Naturally, one would think CW would move to WCCB but CW is not burning up the ratings and WCCB may not want it. Of course, WCCB doesn't have a lot of options losing their major affiliation. I am just "thinking out loud" of the possibility of WCCB moving its sub-channel MeTV programming to its main channel when they lose Fox. Which network would be more profitable for them - CW or MeTV? I'm old (age 45) so MeTV appeals to me more than CW.
I would say you have a chance of getting what you wish. Here in the Sioux Fallls, SD DMA CW was a local OTA channel (KWSD) so was carried on Dish. CW moved to a sub channel on KSFY(ABC) and dish carries them as KSFY-DT2. Now KWSD carries Me-TV as their main and only channel and is also carried on Dish. Like you I watch some programs on Me-TV but do not watch any on CW! :)

If the station is a licensed full power station, Dish and/or Direct carry locals in their market, and the station claims "must carry" from Dish or Direct, neither company has any choice but to carry the channel no matter what the programming. However, if the station asks for "retransmission consent" (i.e. pay us to carry our signal to our market or you can't rebroadcast our signal to anyone) that is another story.

Is anyone aware of any Local Channels that offer common sub-channel programming like MeTV, RTV, etc on a main channel instead of a sub-channel? If so, is that local available (airing Me, RTV, etc) on DISH or DirecTV?

Well the "flagship" MeTV station WWME-Chicago, while NOT a full-power station per se, is a LP-digital station & does carry MeTV on it's primary channel 23.1. (it carries Bounce TV on 23.2) WWME 23.1 IS carried by both E* & D* on satellite channel 23 in the Chicago locals package.

If the station is a licensed full power station, Dish and/or Direct carry locals in their market, and the station claims "must carry" from Dish or Direct, neither company has any choice but to carry the channel no matter what the programming. However, if the station asks for "retransmission consent" (i.e. pay us to carry our signal to our market or you can't rebroadcast our signal to anyone) that is another story.

I know in the Detroit Antenna TV is offered as a .2 but AT&T carries all three satellite feeds as separate channels and not sub-channels nor are the other two offered over the air

Well the "flagship" MeTV station WWME-Chicago, while NOT a full-power station per se, is a LP-digital station & does carry MeTV on it's primary channel 23.1. (it carries Bounce TV on 23.2) WWME 23.1 IS carried by both E* & D* on satellite channel 23 in the Chicago locals package.

Directv is a little more giving when it comes to LP stations (non Big 4) being offered in the locals

I hate to say it but WCCB will probably just replace the 2 hour Fox programming with CW
(we have a pretty good ongoing thread in the OTA area about this very thing)

But as TNGTony mentioned, any full powered station can ask for carriage regardless of affiliation.

I hate to say it but WCCB will probably just replace the 2 hour Fox programming with CW
(we have a pretty good ongoing thread in the OTA area about this very thing)

But as TNGTony mentioned, any full powered station can ask for carriage regardless of affiliation.

Thanks, Iceberg. I forgot about the OTA forum here at S-guys. I've been following discussions on AVS Forums.

Eric

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts