are receivers and dishes married to each other?

jameszeesmith

Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
st. louis
Hello,

I want to bring my valid subscriber dish network receiver (522) out to my new country home and hook it up to a leftover dish network satellite dish left there by the previous owner. Will it work?, is it legal?
Can I just buy another receiver or upgrade and register it with dish and use it at the country home? Is this legal?

Why not? When you move, you leave the dish for the next customer. Setup the receiver and run a check switch. If you sub to locals, that may be the only glitch, if you're other place is in a different DMA.

And welcome to SatelliteGuys.US!

Technically it will work.
If your country home is within the spot beam for your locals all should be the same.

The legality is a different issue.

You cannot use the same account at 2 locations that is called account stacking and is against terms of service. Is it done? Yes until DISH catches up with customer.

You cannot use the same account at 2 locations that is called account stacking and is against terms of service. Is it done? Yes until DISH catches up with customer.
The key is to take the receiver with you when you go to the country home, and then bring it back with you when you return.
As long as you're not using then in 2 places at once, there is nothing to worry about.

People here take them to their cabins, or on their RV's, all the time. Just remember to bring it back home with you, in order to remain legal.

It's only account stacking if he has a receiver which he allows another individual to use at a separate residence. If he is using the same receiver for a weekend getaway at his country home, how would Dish know? If you see Dish Techs with swastika armbands prowling around in the woods, make a run for it! :p

There's a push to pass a Constitutional Amendment banning same-satellite-company-product marriage. Best Charlie can hope for is civil unions.

If you only have a single receiver you have nothing to worry about, its not even a gray area.
Not according to JL. Me and Iceberg about got banned for arguing with him about the need for 2 accounts on Iceberg's single receiver. JL was bound and determined to convince us that Iceberg had to have 2 accounts on 1 receiver (even though Echostar themselves said it was impossible).

Not according to JL. Me and Iceberg about got banned for arguing with him about the need for 2 accounts on Iceberg's single receiver. JL was bound and determined to convince us that Iceberg had to have 2 accounts on 1 receiver (even though Echostar themselves said it was impossible).

JL is a douche, you know that right?