Are some LNBs stronger than others?

jvmcdowe

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
I am on the Fringe of a spotbeam that carries Cleveland locals. At night the channels go in and out. Could I get a "stronger" LNB to get a little extra strength?

You might want to get a bigger dish instead. I haven't seen a "stronger signal" LNB before for DISH. They do have bigger and better dishes w/LNBs for DirecTV where you'd use them for commercial installations but I haven't come across any for DISH Network. Try dishstore.net to see if they carry any in the aftermarket section?

jvmcdowe said:
I am on the Fringe of a spotbeam that carries Cleveland locals. At night the channels go in and out. Could I get a "stronger" LNB to get a little extra strength?

Cleveland locals are spotbeam on the 110 satellite.
You could go to a larger dish with a single lnbf pointing only at 110 degrees.
If you go this route, make sure all dish lnbf's are the same. Legacy or Dish Pro.

Sometimes when using a Dish 500 for 110 and 119, you can cheat the elevation and azimuth settings in favor of a stronger signal from one satellite than the other but still ok for both. It might solve your problem without changing dishes.

Some LNBF's have a little more gain and a lower noise level but I like to pick up the gain with more signal pickup via a larger dish.

dnsguy said:
the dp series is going to give a stronger signal than a dpp twin

Not ture, it will provide the same signal strength as any other dishnetwork lnbf, where it will not provide a quality signal at is if you are using it to tune in a dish as signal meters will only recognize if there is a signal present or not but fail to tell the technician at what level the signal is during the tuning process.

The only reliable way to increase signals in a fringe area is a bigger dish. In line amplifiers are only useful with co-axial runs of over 200 ft.
A low noise lnb of say .2 db will only give a marginal improvementover the .8 db that dish uses. Also these low noise lnb such as those made by ivacom and sharp are linear universal made for the european market. They do not make circular lnbs for the us market.
A low impedance co-axial like rg11 is expensive and has no advantage over rg6 for runs less than 200ft.
Since I am in a fringe area myself I have done quite a bit of research on this topic.

Van said:
Not ture, it will provide the same signal strength as any other dishnetwork lnbf, where it will not provide a quality signal at is if you are using it to tune in a dish as signal meters will only recognize if there is a signal present or not but fail to tell the technician at what level the signal is during the tuning process.

put up a dpp twin and see what signal strength you get then switch to a dp twin and watch it be higher. just like with a dual tuner, your signal will be lower on a dual tuner like a 625 then on a 311 or 301. even lower on tuner two of the dual tuner.

You'll have signal variation on any receiver dual or single, legacy or dishpro plus, lnbf's are general in the signal that comes off and I have only noticed a diference in signal strength in defective lnbf's regardless of legacy, dishpro and dishpro plus.

you can run a longer line off a dp lnb without signal loss than you can off dpp lnb.
And if you put up a dp twin you will get a higher signal strength at the receiver than you will with a dpp twin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)