Are the Olympics coming to Dish Network?

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I am receiving word from a few sources that Dish Network will be offering special olympics coverage from NBC.

I am told that there could be two SD Channels with Highlights and updates, plus I am receiving word that Dish Network is shifting things around on the HD front and could be possibly making room for a NBC HD feed of the olympic games!

More as I know it.

"I am receiving word from a few sources that Dish Network will be offering special olympics coverage from NBC."

HD coverage of the SPECIAL OLYMPICS?

(I'm kidding you Scott. I know what it means.)

Scott Greczkowski said:
<snip>..... plus I am receiving word that Dish Network is shifting things around on the HD front and could be possibly making room for a NBC HD feed of the olympic games!

More as I know it.
Hmmmm I wonder how an NBC HD feed would reconcile with the current SHVIA regs ? Why would an NBC HD feed be any more available than the current CBS HD feed they already have and which most customers can't get ?

Maybe they've got some advance inside info on how the pending legislation is going to go down.

WaltinVt

It has nothing to do with SHVIA. NBC Network HD feed will be different coverage of the Olympics. than on the NBC Analog network. NBC can offer the HD Network to whomever they want to.

Scott, lurking much? :)

I am sitting here watching the NBC OLYMPIC SHOWCASE Channel test.
MSNBC, CNBC, USA, BRAVO and Telemundo all on the same screen. Also a space for NBC. This channel is a candidate for channel 100 interactive. There are audio selections to allow listening to any one of the channels.

There is also an NBC 2004 OLYMPICS HIGHLIGHTS channel in the works.

HBO HD is now sharing space with TNT HD and HDPPV.

SHO HD is now sharing space with Discovery HD Theater and ESPN HD.

Previous space occupied by HBOHD and SHOHD is unassigned.

Attachments

• 210704123237.BMP
    351.6 KB · Views: 288
Not lurking just very busy lately. :) (Pub Members know what I am talking about)

I just got another call about this a few minutes ago. When I get clarification on what some of it means I will post it here. :D

Is possible NBC HD Olympics feed by satellite just temporary ?

JohnH said:
It has nothing to do with SHVIA. NBC Network HD feed will be different coverage of the Olympics. than on the NBC Analog network. NBC can offer the HD Network to whomever they want to.
So this would be a temporary HD feed, probably in conjunction with only the Olympics ?

That brings up an interresting topic that does / may have something to do with all this SHVIA stuff. Baring any changes that may come about with new legislation, what actually governs what satellite can broadcast in terms of national network programming ?

Is it strictly copyright ownership which is over ruled somewhat by free access to airwaves?

I'm probably not wording this well - I guess my question is: If a national network puts up a seperate HD feed of their programming but changes or shuffels it around a bit, can they offer it to satellite who in turn could offer it to any of their customers that want it without the restrictions they face under current regulations and if so why don't they do it ?

In other words, what constitutes enough difference to allow this ?

WaltinVt

The HD feed is OPTIONAL for NBC affiliates to carry, they can carry it or not carry it. It is not part of the NBC Network feed therefore is not bound by the SHVIA rules. Its a special broadcast.

NBC owns the copyright, but they are free to grant the rights to whom they choose.

From what I am hearing Dish Network might be the only satellite company to have the extended olympics. If they do thats BIG for Dish Network.

There should be no roar from the affiliates, as the affiliates will not be making any money on the HD broadcast. They make their money from the analog broadcast instead.

From what I know there are no local avails available on the HD broadcast for the affiliates.

I do not believe so. :D

Also please remember THIS IS JUST A RUMOR FOR NOW.

I have not solid evidence other what I am being told by two contacts.

I just saw JohnH's posting at DBSTalk which seems to validate this info a bit, but still there is nothing 100% rock solid.

If I were Dish Network I would offer the Olympics for FREE and also open up the HD pack for a week for free as well. They might get some new HD customers. :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
If I were Dish Network I would offer the Olympics for FREE and also open up the HD pack for a week for free as well. They might get some new HD customers. :D
Good idea. The more new HD customers, the more the demand, the more competion, the better for us all.

You need a HDTV receiver to see the HD broadcasts and a 1yr. commitment has been required for the DHA and upgrade promotions. Who would be able to see it if they opened up the HD pak that isn't already seeing it?

There are lots of 6000's out there which are not subscribed to the HD pack. They really have nothing to lose by opening them up.

HD is like drugs, after you get some you want more and more. And when you don't get more you get pissed off. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts