Are the Olympics coming to Dish Network?

In the last chat, Charlie talked about having the Olympics on an HD Special Events channel, said that Bravo HD was interesting, and said that they were still negotiating for STARZ HD, but that it did not have much true HD. Since D* has announced 120 NFL games in HD and said that they are going to add a sizable number of HD channels before the end of this year, E* should be feeling enough pressure to provide all 3. This would leave a slot for one more HD service (2 after the end of the Olympics). INHD1 and INHD2 would be a great addition if they can obtain it. The AVS HD programming links say that it is available to both Cable and Satellite providers. I have also read that it is for cable only.

For us in the distant "white" areas, E* should also add NBC, ABC, Fox, WB, and UPN East and West Coast HD feeds on the wing satellites since much of the present HD comes from the networks. We really enjoy the CBS HD feed!

I say they should add BravoHD, StarzHD, InHD, or any other HD that enough customers request. I also think that all IRDs should be able to take that HD signal and down convert it to 480i or 480p for those customers that do not have an HD monitor so we can eliminate the dual feed channels such as Showtime, HBO and ESPN, to free up even more transponder space.

Any of the NFL Ticket (HD or SD) is exclusive to D* and there is nothing E* can do about it until the next open contract bid.

As for the distants and the white areas, that is all in the lap of the FCC and your local & state reps. See info below.

Level that playing field and get those local network asses in gear!

THE DOCUMENT

Senate Panel Passes Key Sat TV Legislation

On Thursday, the Senate Commerce Committee marked up legislation that will allow satellite TV providers to deliver a network high-def feed to distant network customers and addresses the delivery of local TV to a two-dish solution.

The legislation, the Satellite Home Viewer Extension and Rural Consumer Access to Digital Television Act, is sponsored by Sens. John Ensign (R-Nev.) and John McCain (R-Ariz.). McCain also is chair of the Senate Commerce Committee. The bill would allow satellite TV providers to supply customers that cannot receive an over-the-air digital signal from the four major networks with a distant digital network signal by satellite.

"This bill is the result of hard work and compromise and has been approved in a bipartisan fashion," Ensign said. "Rural Americans are the true winners as a result, and I look forward to seeing this bill signed into law."

EchoStar praised the bill, saying it will encourage broadcasters to speed up the transition from analog to digital TV by making high-def available to consumers via satellite in areas local broadcasters do not reach. EchoStar also commended Sen. Conrad Burns (R-Mont.) for supporting the development and implementation of a digital white area model within a year, "and we hope the entire Congress will similarly embrace the committee's efforts to provide digital service to rural America," the company said.

And the Satellite Broadcasting and Communications Association was happy with passage of the bill. "It was critical that the Senate Commerce Committee pass this legislation and its work today is testimony of Congress' commitment to increase DBS' competitive capabilities and ability offer a choice for all Americans, especially those in rural areas," said SBCA President Richard DalBello.

The Digital Transition Coalition also commended the legislation. "Consumers throughout the nation, especially in rural America, are waiting to see the benefits of digital technology and Congress has taken an important step in making that a reality," the organization said in a statement.

The Ensign/McCain legislation also addresses the use of two dishes to receive local TV channels. EchoStar said it's disappointed with the 18-month timeframe the Senate Commerce Committee has presented for the switch from the two-dish solution to a single dish for reception of locals. However, "we believe the Senate has taken a far better approach than legislation passed by the House Commerce Committee," EchoStar said.

DirecTV also praised the committee for addressing "complex issues" contained in the legislation. "We remain concerned, however, about several provisions in the Senate draft, including resolving copyright issues with respect to the white area provision and the timeframe for ending the practice of relegating certain broadcasters to a second dish," the company said.

"We look forward to working with all the committees to ensure passage of this important legislation later this year," DirecTV said.

Reaction to the bill was mixed for the National Association of Broadcasters and its president, Edward Fritts.

"Our goal is to ensure consumer access to local television stations that provide news and lifeline information to local audiences," Fritts said. "We reject the notion that viewers might be better served by distant out-of-market stations. We applaud the bill's recognition that Echostar's discriminatory two-dish policy must end and look forward to working with Congress to complete the SHVIA reauthorization legislation."

charper1 said:
I say they should add BravoHD, StarzHD, InHD, or any other HD that enough customers request. I also think that all IRDs should be able to take that HD signal and down convert it to 480i or 480p for those customers that do not have an HD monitor so we can eliminate the dual feed channels such as Showtime, HBO and ESPN, to free up even more transponder space.

Unfortunately only the newest SD recievers (like the 311) can even see 8PSK. It is doubtful that it even has the memory or downresing hardware. It would be nice if all the SD recievers had that capability...

be:

At this point, only cable can until an announcement is made indicating that E* and/or D* are going to be delivering the olympics in HD.

While I certainly hope that Dish does indeed carry the HD coverage, I've been disappointed on more than one occasion from E*

Cheers,

I just talked to contacts at both Dish and DirecTV and say we will have official confirmation by the end of the week. :)

It will be interesting to see if Dish and DirecTV announce this jointly or issue seperate press releases.

They WILL join in. I was talking with the engineers last night, They actually have up the NBC HD feed from NBC. I am told that there are color bars saying NBC BURBANK HD on them, and they ran the HD content from last night as well.

They just announced the HD Olympics on DISH on the Retailer Chat.

It starts on Friday August 11th at 8pm on channel 145. I will not be available to everyone however it does cover 70% of the country.

I just got a note from Marc Lumpkin about the HD Olympics.

The DMA list of which areas can recieve the Olympics on DISH in HD is not available yet. I will get it as soon as it is available, as it was mentioned on the chat today NBC is working with affiliates to get them to grant permission for Dish to show the olympics in HD in their DNA, they also mentioned that the list of stations saying YES is growing every day.

A press release for the Olympics in HD "MAY" be forthcoming.

And the Flash Demo of the NBC interactive will be available on Dish's website SOON.

There you have it.

So...even though the Press Release today only refers to the Open TV application, the HD coverage is coming as well...in "select" areas? As one who can't receive a single HD signal OTA I'm really happy about this.

This brings up an interesting question. I live in an area where there is only one NBC local digital channel. It only broadcasts a very low power digital signal which I cannot get. Does this mean that Dish will be able to provide me with the NBC-HD channel? I cannot even get the analog NBC signal. Their transmission tower is actually farther away than the ABC and CBS towers. Does that mean I can qualify to recieve the NBC-HD signal?

Scott, we really need for you to find out the DMA list for us.

Thanks,

Scott Greczkowski said:
The DMA list of which areas can recieve the Olympics on DISH in HD is not available yet. I will get it as soon as it is available, as it was mentioned on the chat today NBC is working with affiliates to get them to grant permission for Dish to show the olympics in HD in their DNA, they also mentioned that the list of stations saying YES is growing every day.

It seems to me that it might make sense to start lobbying or local (non-HD) affiliates to 'just say YES'.

I'm thinking they (E*/NBC) might have good leverage where HD is not already available via local OTA or Cable. Kind of like the 'I Want My HDTV' concept.