Are the VOOM movie channels now a complete Joke?

What's your opinion?

• I like it this way -- 2movies per day

Votes: 8 5.1%
  • I think it is a waste... change it back to the way it was

Votes: 56 35.7%
  • They should consolidate all these into one movie channel

Votes: 74 47.1%
  • I will not watch these channels anymore

Votes: 32 20.4%

• Total voters

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
2 movies per day on

Monsters HD
Kungfu HD
FamilyRoom HD
WorldCinema HD
Filmfest HD

What is your opinion about it?

Consolidate and eliminate the redundant movie channels into one and you might end up with more room for more hd. Especially if all it is going to be is one or two movies repeated all day long.

I love your biased poll. :rolleyes:

They have 4 specialized movie channels (World, Film Festival, KungFu, Monsters). They could use some more content (variety) on those channels. However, I don't think they should be merged. Part of what differentiates them from HDNet movies, MGM HD, etc. is that they play specialized content. I like how they maintain the OAR as well. (*cough* HBO and Cinemax take note!) HDNet movies is the 24/7 movie channel. Voom would only lose very badly going head to head with it directly.

Voom could be easily consolidated to 1/2 the channels that it is now:

World Cinema with Film Fest==>Voom Movies HD
Family room with Animania==>Voom Family HD
Ultra, Gallery and Treasure==>Voom Art HD
Equator with News==>Voom Nature/News HD
Game Play, World Sport and RUSH==>Voom Sports HD
Monsters with Kung Fu==>Voom Thriller HD
Rave==>Voom Music HD

Voom could be easily consolidated to 1/2 the channels that it is now:

World Cinema with Film Fest==>Voom Movies HD
Family room with Animania==>Voom Family HD
Ultra, Gallery and Treasure==>Voom Art HD
Equator with News==>Voom Nature/News HD
Game Play, World Sport and RUSH==>Voom Sports HD
Monsters with Kung Fu==>Voom Thriller HD
Rave==>Voom Music HD

Congrads... you've just been promoted to VP of Programming - VOOM Networks. :eureka

I could dig that.

They have 4 specialized movie channels (World, Film Festival, KungFu, Monsters). They could use some more content (variety) on those channels. However, I don't think they should be merged. Part of what differentiates them from HDNet movies, MGM HD, etc. is that they play specialized content. I like how they maintain the OAR as well. (*cough* HBO and Cinemax take note!) HDNet movies is the 24/7 movie channel. Voom would only lose very badly going head to head with it directly.

I don't believe Monsters maintains the OAR for a lot of the Japanese movies.

During the opening credits there will be black bars at the top at bottom of the screen and then they'll zoom in to fill the screen when the movie starts.

For the love of god consolidate these channels. I got to hear junk that I shouldnt get SciFi hd because onyl a few shows are in HD. Meanwhile we have the voom networks repeat the same programming constantly. Consolidate and we get the best of both worlds. The people who like voom, and the people who want the more popular networks.

HDnet movies has specialized movies such as Fright Night and Specialty movies moments. HDnet Movies you could also break up into 4 different specialized channels but I do not think anybody will enjoy them as much if only they show 2 movies per day.

This policy of two movies per day was good in the days when HD DVRs did not exist or were expensive. Now a days these channels are just using unnecessary space if this policy of two movies continue.

If they want to become especialized channels then the content of the channels needs to populated to more than just two movies per day. It does not make sense otherwise.

It just IS NOT true that there are only 2 movies per day, thus the poll is skewed.

To illustrate, in the 23-ish hour period from 12:45pm EST today till 11am EST tomorrow (Thanksgiving), there are 8 different movies on MonstersHD.

Tombs of the Blind Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Frankenstein Must be Destroyed
Teenage Caveman
Gappa, the Triphibian Monster
Day of the Dead
Dead Alive
Evil Dead

In comparison, HDNET Movies has 9 different movies in the same timeframe (9, barely, as the 9th movie starts at 10:45am EST - so only 15 mins of the 9th movies really counts).

Compare that to any HBO, STARZ, etc and I bet that's real close to what they all are doing.

The difference is that on HBO, Showtime, etc., there are different movies on every month. Monsters HD simply recycles the same movies over and over again, week after week, month after month.

I tried to keep up with how many times they showed the movie "Dead Alive" but lost count at 46 times.

So if you compare Monsters to Starz in any one week, it is close to the same. But if you compare over 6 or 12 months, you'll see that Monsters will show the same movies many more times.

I liked this channel for the first 6 months, but now it is nearly all repeats from earlier months.

VOOM & new content in the same sentence...now that's comedy. I can't remember the last time I watched anything on any of the VOOM channels.

That's why you don't see the new content.

BTY, I see the changes as neutral, and the choices offered in the poll are biased.

I don't see any particular bias in the poll. It may advocate something that some of us do not want and the channels involved may do some nice things but neither is proof of bias. I do agree with others though that Monsters offers more variety---perhaps it could have still more but it certainly has more than 2 movies a day.

Two movies a d ay is not enough. Some combination would free up bandwidth and still allow people to see he type of movies they would like to see.

Personally I do not think that VOOM will survive long. It was fine when there were few HD options but as the number increases it looks bad for them.

I see more than two selections a day in the Voom movie guides today. Although 2 a day did work before and changing daily is realistic for most of us with jobs.
I haven't watched HDNet more than maybe two hours all year so far.
The repetition is too much for only having two channels to program.
The Voom bashing over HD content is just some weird fetish for some.
As shown by this thread posing as some sort of poll.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)