Are the wireless Joey's really this bad?

Thank you, now I was hoping to be able to contact Dish and explain the situation to them without going through the usual 30-60 minutes of general troubleshooting on the phone that ensues no matter what, but I guess that is probably not possible.

I will add that at this point my wife is less than impressed with Dish as this issue has been going on for months. I have had Dish service for 17 years and got married 1.5 years ago and she is not as forgiving as I am. I like the hopper, and hope that I will eventually get it worked out with the wireless joeys but it is frustrating.

I had intermittent disconnects, freezes, and unlinks when I first got my H3/WJ setup. I moved the WAP away and higher from the H3 which made enough of a difference (I have steel interior studs in my house). Re-linking was a pain and seem to be hit-or-miss, with sometimes it self-resolving.

Use an app such as WiFiAnalyzer to see if there are other interfering WiFi signals and check your signal strengths. The Dish WAP will show up as Hidden SSID (there could be others besides Dish). Interference could also come from sources other than WiFi signals, such as a microwave oven, radar signals (airports nearby?), phones, RC cars, cheap power adapters (wall warts), etc.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks for the tips, I have already moved the WAP as far and high as I can from the hopper without buying a longer ethernet cable to connect them. I changed the channel on our internet modem/router thinking that was causing interference (actually that made a big improvement in the problem as it was doing it constantly at one point) and it is down to happening every 7-14 days, with strong signal and link strength at all other times.

I may try to get a longer ethernet cable and see if that helps moving the WAP to another part of the living room. Usually when it happens there is no one on the main floor where the hopper/WAP are located and nothing else is being used (microwave, etc...). I really think the problem is an intermittent issue related to the WAP itself as it happens with two different WJ's and it performs flawlessly during the up to two weeks between occurrences.

I will see about moving it but think I will eventually be calling Dish for a replacement WAP, I am just not looking forward to the hour of basic phone troubleshooting that I will have to do (and have already done) to get them to replace it. Especially as it is intermittent and resetting everything works for two weeks and so after the reset it won't act up again while I am on the phone with them.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks for the tips, I have already moved the WAP as far and high as I can from the hopper without buying a longer ethernet cable to connect them. I changed the channel on our internet modem/router thinking that was causing interference (actually that made a big improvement in the problem as it was doing it constantly at one point) and it is down to happening every 7-14 days, with strong signal and link strength at all other times.

I may try to get a longer ethernet cable and see if that helps moving the WAP to another part of the living room. Usually when it happens there is no one on the main floor where the hopper/WAP are located and nothing else is being used (microwave, etc...). I really think the problem is an intermittent issue related to the WAP itself as it happens with two different WJ's and it performs flawlessly during the up to two weeks between occurrences.

I will see about moving it but think I will eventually be calling Dish for a replacement WAP, I am just not looking forward to the hour of basic phone troubleshooting that I will have to do (and have already done) to get them to replace it. Especially as it is intermittent and resetting everything works for two weeks and so after the reset it won't act up again while I am on the phone with them.
I think the DISH VIP Support might be the way to go. Try them and see if they will send you a new WAP.
Direct Chat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts