Are they for real???

Jimmy J

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
Wallingford, VT.
Just out of curiousity, I placed a call today to D* to find out what they have in the way of HD programming for my particular area...Wallingford, VT 05773. Currently with E*. They told me all locals were in HD! I think someones been tokin' on some wacky-tabaccy. Is that even possible? :confused: Reason being that our local CBS affiliate is the only one offering HD, and only availbe thru Adelphia Cable at this time. E* has NONE of our locals in HD. How can D* have them?

BFG said:
With an antenna yes, but not with D*.

Sure with antennae, but not 1 single station that I've already contacted has put up an OTA HD signal.
Even if they did, I'm so far out in the sticks away from towers, I'd never be able to recieve them.

Pats fan or Eagles hater?

DirecTV users get their HD locals via OTA just like Dish. No one (including Voom) carries HD locals via satellite.

D* has announced plans to carry 12 markets in HD on Satellite, but that won't be for a while yet.

Robbin

DirectTV does carry the NYC and LA Fox, ABC, NBC, and CBS affiliates. So for the people who do live in those DMAs, D* does have some of your locals in HDTV.

RobbinM said:
DirecTV users get their HD locals via OTA just like Dish. No one (including Voom) carries HD locals via satellite.

D* has announced plans to carry 12 markets in HD on Satellite, but that won't be for a while yet.

Robbin

Just as I thought. They so filled with $#@%! their eyes are brown!

just to clear this all up, so you dont say directv is full of $hit, but, Directv carries HD locals for certain areas that qualify, so you can get a west coast (LA) feed or a east coast (NY) feed, of abc nbc cbs or fox, or all of them in HD, on top of recieving sd transmission of your locals! Dish does not do this, and has not announced it, also Directv will be starting the LIL hd transmissons this year, now this thread has some facts in it, not all Directv users need a antenna to get networks in HD, They come through the dish, like me I live in a cleveland ohio market, and Fox is O & O so I get the new york feed of fox for free, enjoy! and I will be popping in here if there are more questions!

Correct i live in northeast Pa and i qualify for locals plus the abc.nbc,cbs and fox HD feeds from New York. The hd feed will be picked up thru the direct tv dish..I don't require another ant for ota signals. And i called direct tv to confirm this cause i was looking at there hd dvr but when the csr said 999.00 i said i'll get back to u on that...lol

Here's the jist of it. I was a D* subr for nearly 5 years. Switched to E* back in Aug. '04. due to the 4 room hook up, HD, no equip. purchase, free install deal. To good to pass up. I've got 2 811 HD rcvrs & a 322 dual rcvr.

I still Have my original D* equipment. 2 Hughes, 1 RCA & dish. I had to purchase the equipment when we first signed up with D*.

Now, I'm seriously considering going back to D* in order to get networks in HD. I was so ticked I had to watch the superbowl in standard def.

My question is what would I need to do in order to get two rooms HD and 1 standard hooked up. I could use my RCA for teh standard. Would I need to purchase 2 seperate HD tuners?

If so, why isn't D* making leased equip an option?

I'd really like to go back if I could networks in HD, but the thought of having to purchase the HD tuners sucks as I've seen how much they want. :eek:

first of all this should now be moved to the directv forum....second, you do have to buy two hd recievers, but remeber you buy quality items, its like say why they charge so much for a rolls royce, its quality and it works! but what I would do is call directv retention, they usually work out a deal for you!

I think this thread is in the right forum..Dish claims to be the leader in hd but yet direct tv is kiccking there a$$ in bringing hd channels..Charlie wants unique hd channels but i beleive a vast number of his subs would be happy with the major networks in hd...

would agree on that point, but I am not getting into a flaming war, Directv will be bringing the major markets to all by 2007, or their plans are that way. I do understand dish bought a sat. off of voom, but I also hear some intresting things with Voom going on, either way I think sat. compaines are in for a very very good year with HD and sat. this year!

wasn't meant to start a flamming war.I myself i'm just upset with dish and there hd content or should i saw lack of...lol...It would be nice once they buy out voom if we get some more hd

lime4x4 said:
wasn't meant to start a flamming war.I myself i'm just upset with dish and there hd content or should i saw lack of...lol...It would be nice once they buy out voom if we get some more hd

no I know all i was saying was, since i am a directv guy I didnt want people to think that I was out to bash dish, I am not, and will not be like that, they do have quality service...never had voom, my install got missed, and I got run off by customer service, or I would love to try it, but anyways, I hope directv and dish do add hd, I think the cable compaines need to be taken down a notch, I have time warner in my area, that is my only choice, and it dosent work like it should, the only good thing is I have roadrunner, but enough of that as this dosent pertain to this thread, if anyone has any questions about directv and its upcoming plans, cruise on over to the forum, or ask them here I will be more then happy to answer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)