are Tivo/DishNetwok preventing this reciever from being sold in NA?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cband55

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2008
an 80 buck OTA digital PVR
Digital TV Tuner DVB-T PVR Box Receiver USB HDMI 808 | eBay

the item above does not to work with ATSC only DVB-T and is for Europe.
Can someone tell me why a reciever like this is not available anywhere in North America if not for consipracy theory that Dish Network as part of the DVB organism prevents such a reciever being sold I know they had one but it did not record. and the only alternative is the expensive Sonicview 8000 and other HD dish HD hack STBs.

or if anyone knows a cheap one please post

nobody is stopping anybody from providing a OTA only option. Dish made one called the DTVPal DVR which worked really well. I owned one for a while. Dish then sold it to ChannelMaster
They are still on EBay
Tivo is the "big" one for OTA too.

Pansat made a 1000 model that has a DVB, DVB-S2 and a OTA tuner in it
Pansat TC-1000HD PVR Digital satellite HD Receiver TC1000HD FTA 9200 4500 3500 | eBay

There is no conspiracy....good lord some people really have gone off the deep end on stuff like that. Yup lets blame Dish on everything that remotely has to do with something they might do. :rolleyes:

an 80 buck OTA digital PVR
Digital TV Tuner DVB-T PVR Box Receiver USB HDMI 808 | eBay

the item above does not to work with ATSC only DVB-T and is for Europe.
Can someone tell me why a reciever like this is not available anywhere in North America if not for consipracy theory that Dish Network as part of the DVB organism prevents such a reciever being sold I know they had one but it did not record. and the only alternative is the expensive Sonicview 8000 and other HD dish HD hack STBs.

or if anyone knows a cheap one please post

Adding to what Iceberg said,did you also not notice the plug on the power cord? It is a European plug. While I see that you can switch the voltage between 120v/60Hz(U.S./North America?) & 240v/50Hz(Europe)(it says 100-250v & 50-60Hz on the back of the receiver),you'd still need an adapter to be able to plug it into an American outlet. The receiver is exactly as you stated,"for Europe."

I think you answered your own question: it won't work here because there's no DVB-T transmissions in NA. Only ATSC.
like the US adoption of metric measurements back in the '80's. It didn't 'fly'. Maybe it's our regulators that don't like to "follow" but would rather tramp down their own path. I'm kinda surprised they did adopt DVB-S and S2, in a way.
Are you looking for a usb ATSC tuner, or a stand alone 'box'?
The only stand alone NTSC/ATSC/QAM DVR I know of is Magnavox MDR515H or MDR513(not in stock at this time??) But they are SD only.
Think for HD one needs a card or USB device, comparable to the DVB-T tuner you linked to: ATSC Tuners-ebay .
Or you could go with THIS?

One of the biggest challenges in the North American market was the choice of ATSC over the world wide DVB standard. In Europe the same hardware can tune satellite, terestrial (including mobile) and cable with minor parameter changes in the software and the coax connected to the correct tuner input. In North America and the few other nations that were foolish enough to follow the cooperate greed train established in the US adoption of ATSC, we must have one device for terrestrial, another for satellite, a third for cable and fourth for mobile.

Another hurdle was the US $50 DTV transition coupon which could only be used to buy a basic receiver with no dvr or hd output. This pretty much single handedly erased the opportunity for distributors and resellers to take advantage of the DTV transition to offer high end OTA products. Combine that with the small percentage of televisions in the US that are tuning ATSC over the air and you have created a niche market for a specialized product.

BTW...... We do have some very advanced solutions for ATSC. I LOVE my Silicon Dust HomeRun. It puts set top box solutions to shame!

10-4 Brian. We screw up everything. I have a nice OTA DVR with 80GB HDD and DVD burner in it. The HDD and optiical drives are standard interface, meaning you can change them easily and cheaply. It rocks! Guess what?

It is NTSC!!! It has componet, svideo and A/V but no HDMI. I used it for several years before the change over. Made a lot of disks and the kids tore them up. So I quit, therefore it has not been used a lot. It does have all of those as inputs too. It is ready for its first fan cleaning.

It is a Polaroid 2100G. It has a Firewire in port on the front. There is another name it was made under that has a USB next to that. Mine has the little ripple in the plastic where it was not cut out.

Inside there is a header for the cable and screw holes for the board to hold the USB socket. USB in even listed as source in the menu.

It is in great shape, serviceable and yet almost useless. It does do 16:9 from standard DVD and looks awesome.

It is very nice looking too. Solid and slick. Such a waste as you can't change the tuner.

BTW...... We do have some very advanced solutions for ATSC. I LOVE my Silicon Dust HomeRun. It puts set top box solutions to shame!

Agreed! The Silicon Dust HD Homerun combined with a WIRED network and semi-recent PCs makes for one very impressive OTA viewing and recording setup!

......We do have some very advanced solutions for ATSC. I LOVE my Silicon Dust HomeRun. It puts set top box solutions to shame!
I looked this up and it looks like an interesting unit. But it brings up a question: Why would you want to look at TV on a small computer screen instead of, in my case, the 65 inch TV in the home theater?

RT.

I'm assuming those using a PC go the extra step and cable their PC to their big screen for viewing. If not, read RT above me. Watching on a PC is almost as bad as people using an iPhone to watch TV.

QUOTE from Fat Air

The only stand alone NTSC/ATSC/QAM DVR I know of is
Magnavox MDR515H

I have one of these and love it. I has a HDMI output to TV for upscaling, has a great picture,
and I have my Openbox S9 hooked up to the Composite to record satelite and OTA.
The Tuner is a lot better than the one one my TV. You can fast dubb from HHD to DVD-R or DVD-R to HDD,
edit out comercials, alot more than I will ever use. Don't know exactly what you are looking for, but
I would take a good look at this. PM me if you have any questions.

AL

Last edited:
10-4 Brian. We screw up everything. I have a nice OTA DVR with 80GB HDD and DVD burner in it. The HDD and optiical drives are standard interface, meaning you can change them easily and cheaply. It rocks! Guess what?

It is NTSC!!! It has componet, svideo and A/V but no HDMI. I used it for several years before the change over. Made a lot of disks and the kids tore them up. So I quit, therefore it has not been used a lot. It does have all of those as inputs too. It is ready for its first fan cleaning.

It is a Polaroid 2100G. It has a Firewire in port on the front. There is another name it was made under that has a USB next to that. Mine has the little ripple in the plastic where it was not cut out.

Inside there is a header for the cable and screw holes for the board to hold the USB socket. USB in even listed as source in the menu.

It is in great shape, serviceable and yet almost useless. It does do 16:9 from standard DVD and looks awesome.

It is very nice looking too. Solid and slick. Such a waste as you can't change the tuner.

BINGO...have one myself and other than hooking it up to the S-Video on the Coolsat 5000 to record stuff and to playback DVD's thats all its good for. If it had a digital tuner in it I'd be very happy
But alas....

I looked this up and it looks like an interesting unit. But it brings up a question: Why would you want to look at TV on a small computer screen instead of, in my case, the 65 inch TV in the home theater?

RT.

I don't purposely watch TV or any entertainment on a computer screen. Like you, I love my big flatscreen!

That is why I have the best set top box ever built....... A HTPC Home Theater Personal Computer that is only connected to my flat screen via a HDMI cable. I use Windows Media Center to record and watch over the air television, catch missed shows or surf on Hulu, subscribe to Netflix and watch PPV movies on Amazon and listen to Pandora. Every thing is controlled by one remote and also have a USB wireless mouse / keyboard for the few times I am using a browser. Without the Silicon Dust and a PC I would have several boxes and recorder and still not be able to share the recordings and my music collection around the house to other TVs and digital radios.

Have a microHD for watching backhauls / networks in other time zones and a Roku for a few additional services. The Slingbox and PlayOn are great for sharing programming from these sources to my tablet, smart phone, media players.

We live in exciting times!!! ..... Was outside last weekend using my tablet to control the microHD / dish motor and fine tuning a test LNBF then later viewing signal meter from the TV while fine tuning the terrestrial antenna. A few minutes ago I checked on the home microHD from here at work to see if some test recordings had been completed. :D

QUOTE from Fat Air

The only stand alone NTSC/ATSC/QAM DVR I know of is
Magnavox MDR515H

I have one of these and love it. I has a HDMI output to TV for upscaling, has a great picture,
and I have my Openbox S9 hooked up to the Composite to record satelite and OTA.
The Tuner is a lot better than the one one my TV. You can fast dubb from HHD to DVD-R or DVD-R to HDD,
edit out comercials, alot more than I will ever use. Don't know exactly what you are looking for, but
I would take a good look at this. PM me if you have any questions.

AL
...and it's also discontinued. Walmart has a limited supply of new units remaining, but they are numbered. You can also snag the occasional refurb from J&R or other sites.

RT.

Most newer PC graphics cards are able to simultaneously output to a PC monitor (windowed) and an HDMI-equipped flatscreen. Also, PCs make great digital OTA recorders :) ...

Still looking for a standalone box that does both ATSC + QAM. Had really high hopes for the SONY DHG-HDD250/500.

It's the only box that is like a TIVO without the need for a monthly subsciption. However, this box still commands top dollar and it is risky to invest so much money on such an old unit.

The HDHomerun and SlingBox PRO-HD are both great units.

...It's the only box that is like a TIVO without the need for a monthly subsciption...

You might wanna check out the Channel Master CM7400. It looks like a real nice dual tuner unit. I personally prefer my HTPC with all the options it has (including HDMI to my 55" LCD). But it looks like this unit from CM would be a good option for set top folks. It's not just real cheap though.

Cheers

You might wanna check out the Channel Master CM7400. It looks like a real nice dual tuner unit. I personally prefer my HTPC with all the options it has (including HDMI to my 55" LCD). But it looks like this unit from CM would be a good option for set top folks. It's not just real cheap though.

Cheers

That unit only has 1 input

but can record two channels. The DTVPalDVR I had only had one input and could record two shows while watching a 3rd that was pre-recorded

I looked this up and it looks like an interesting unit.
But it brings up a question: Why would you want to look at TV on a small computer screen instead of, in my case, the 65 inch TV in the home theater?
Exactly ! ;)

Here's my setup . . .

In the bedroom I have:
- dedicated laptop running Vista Media Center
- 22" HD TV is plugged via HDMI to laptop for bedroom viewing (get a bigger one) - ;)
- MCE remote with USB receiver controls computer: $15 on Amazon
- Silicon Dust dual tuner is located in another room on the (wired) LAN
This makes for a fully functional HD PVR with all trick play options you expect.

For downloads (torrents) there is:
- dedicated old laptop with small hard drive
- internal hard drive is available on the wired LAN for all in-house computers to see

Then, I have a server:
- three 2tb hard drives hold the bulk of my video library

Now, in the living room, I have:
- a 42" LCD for viewing
- Western Digital TV Plus (?) media player box hooked to TV via HDMI
- the WD uses wired LAN (and optionally up to two local USB drives)
- with the WD remote, I can select any of the computers and play their contents, be it HD MPEG from the OTA tuners, DVD or blu ray rips, SD or HD downloads in .AVI/.mp4/.MKV format, YouTube, Netflix, et al.

The WD player and Silicon Dust dual tuner were both bought off the internet for under $80 each, and were refurbs.
I think both have been in service about two years now, without failures nor need for upgrades.

Thanks to Linuxman for recommending and testing both the tuner and the media player! ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts