Are VOOM channels cropped?

cmm0325

Original poster
May 5, 2005
I'm noticing at least on the HD News channel that the picture is cropped. By that I mean as an example when they show the weather forecast the day is displayed at the top of the screen but only partly. The rest is outside of my display viewing area.

Am I making sense?

I have noticed this on both my 6000 and 811 receiver units on different plasma displays.

Channels??

I have a super dish with 811 receiver. can i receive the voom channels? or at least see them in red? what channels do i see these voom channels on? will i lose my locals like the lovely dish CSR stated? please help. Thanks. :confused:

Telecom1 said:
I have a super dish with 811 receiver. can i receive the voom channels? or at least see them in red? what channels do i see these voom channels on? will i lose my locals like the lovely dish CSR stated? please help. Thanks. :confused:
I think this is a topic for a different thread but to answer your question...If you have a superdish, you are receiving signal from satellites positioned @ 119, 110, and locals are coming in on 105 or 121. The new Voom10 channels are currently being received from the 61.5 position. In order to get these you would need a second dish pointed at 61.5 as well as a DishPro 44 switch. you probably have a DP 34 or DP34+ switch. Dish will set you up with all this and standard pro. install for $100

Thanks

Thank you, already dealed with dish trying to get them installed, but they said i would lose locals. Thats how i ended up in this thread. Would you know if an old Direct tv dish would recieve that sat?

You could use an 18" directv dish but you would still have to have a Dish Pro dual or twin LNB. The Dish Net receiver will not recognize a Directv Lnb

Telecom1 said:
Thank you, already dealed with dish trying to get them installed, but they said i would lose locals. Thats how i ended up in this thread. Would you know if an old Direct tv dish would recieve that sat?
Did you only call dish once? If so I would try calling back again and you'll get someone different on the line. They should supply the DP 44 switch with the dish upgrade. That will allow you to utilize four 4 sat signals instead of the 3 your DP 34 switch allows. The switches name coinsides with the switches capability (34= 3 sat input signals and 4 receiver outputs, 44= 4 sat inputs and 4 receiver outputs).

cmm0325 said:
I'm noticing at least on the HD News channel that the picture is cropped. By that I mean as an example when they show the weather forecast the day is displayed at the top of the screen but only partly. The rest is outside of my display viewing area.

Am I making sense?

I have noticed this on both my 6000 and 811 receiver units on different plasma displays.

I think what you are seeing has to do with the overscan setting of your TV. I got the same thing when I was on Voom, part of the text would be off the screen. I think the full thing is being sent out, but part of it gets cut off by the TVs overscan. It is possible to change the overscan setting on TVs, but usually requires going into the service menu area which isn't user friendly, and you can really mess things up there.

Thanks for the reply, Sean. I think you're right. However for now I'm going to avoid the service menu to make the overscan adjustment. Last time I went into a rptv service menu I made the picture worse. So far the overscan is not bothering me terribly. Yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)