Are we going to be seeing a bigger dish in the future?

I think compression technology is the key.

Look at 12 years ago it used to be something like 10 standard definition channels per transponder. When you go to 8 PSK MPEG4 encoding, we are now at 30 or so SD channels per transponder.

The same amount of standard definition channels we had per transponder 12 years ago are now available in HD with the same bandwith.

3-5 years we will see all the standard definition feeds go away from the program providers, followed by Dish and Directv swapping SD equipment for HD equipment.

Only thing Dish and Directv are waiting for is customers with older SD Equipment to churn off, or upgrade on their own.

What good is a hd receiver without an hdtv? As others have stated, there are many people out there who still have sd tv's.
Yes, but hd receivers do have composite and rf outputs, so they will work on sd sets. Like has already been said, Dish and Direct are probably waiting for all those old sd boxes to die off. It really does make sense to have a smaller line-up of equipment to service. Then they can get rid of the duplicate sd feeds and just allow the boxes to down-rez if needed.

What good is a hd receiver without an hdtv? As others have stated, there are many people out there who still have sd tv's.

God help me, I'm siding with coinmaster! :) HD receivers work just fine on SD TVs..... I've got one in my bedroom, a 32" Toshiba CRT, that is powered by Joey and it works, and looks, just fine....

This is the funniest thread I have seen in awhile...

Are we going to need a bigger dish for bigger 4K pictures? HAHAHAHA!

The answer is no...

In fact there is new technology which I think was something like MPEG5? that could fit a 4K stream into what a HD stream takes now. (And you could fit 4 or 5 HD streams into what one HD stream takes now.)

The DISH will stay the same size, its just the technology and receivers that will change to handle things.

Thanks for the laugh. :D

I you referring to the tech from Broadcom? Yes, it seems Broadcom is out in front regarding their proprietary version of MPEG. That same tech can be used to encode any data including current HD. The big pressure for efficient encoding for 4K isn't from any of the MVPD's but for internet transport. Broadcom seems to be targeting internet for its tech, not legacy sat or cable who have invested heavily into MPEG4 and have tons of boxes out there now that would need to be changed out.

The point of 4K is addressing the declining costs of truly big screens like 65" to 100." At that size and fairly close distance, the current 1080x1920 just doesn't look so HD. However, with 4K up-conversion and true 4K content, those 70"+ TV's start to look as good as they should. Even the projectors are starting to move more, but most folks are looking for a traditional flat screen TV, and for them no screen is too large. OLED with its manufacturing challenges and high cost, seems to abandoned by the major CE companies because they can just manufacture bigger current flat panel technology with costs going down to do so. With such super size TV's to come with dropping prices, 4K is what is going to make the PQ look as good as we expect. I can tell you that even OTA directly into the TV is not looking as good as it used to as broadcasters use less of the bandwidth for main HD service and more for the SD mux channels. But, in our modern market, we can have something else come along and take us in another direction.

Also, if you think 4k looks good, wait until you see 8k. I'm not BSing you, sharp is already working on one.

If dish gave everyone an HD receiver (I'm sure at least 60% of people already have one), then they could just remove all the SD dupes and let the box reformat.

I would be willing to bet that it's nowhere near 60% penetration for current MPEG4 HD boxes currently.

This is the funniest thread I have seen in awhile...

Are we going to need a bigger dish for bigger 4K pictures? HAHAHAHA!

The answer is no...

In fact there is new technology which I think was something like MPEG5? that could fit a 4K stream into what a HD stream takes now. (And you could fit 4 or 5 HD streams into what one HD stream takes now.)

The DISH will stay the same size, its just the technology and receivers that will change to handle things.

Thanks for the laugh. :D

Considering that there are still MPEG2 SD receivers (and tons of them) out in the wild, I doubt that we'll see any MPEG5 receivers anytime soon. Hell MPEG4 is just now getting wide adoption, and that standard is about 13 years old by now. H.264 is about 10 years old. Perhaps you are right, the dish won't get any bigger, so that probably means that 4K is a long ways away.

Didn't know that! Getting more proactive. Maybe Dish is getting impatient as well? Seems like I recall my locals getting switched to 8PSK a little while ago though... Didn't pay much attention since hell even my old DVR 625 had no issues with that, lol.

I think compression technology is the key.

Look at 12 years ago it used to be something like 10 standard definition channels per transponder. When you go to 8 PSK MPEG4 encoding, we are now at 30 or so SD channels per transponder.

The same amount of standard definition channels we had per transponder 12 years ago are now available in HD with the same bandwith.

3-5 years we will see all the standard definition feeds go away from the program providers, followed by Dish and Directv swapping SD equipment for HD equipment.

Only thing Dish and Directv are waiting for is customers with older SD Equipment to churn off, or upgrade on their own.
I know this is about Directv , But its good information.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2401711,00.asp

Uncompressed, the video would require massive bandwidth and storage space; in 2006, however, NHK demonstrated a compressed version, using an NHK codec that compressed the video signal from approximately 24 Gbits/s down to 180-600 Mbits/s and the audio from 28 Mbit/s to 7-28 Mbits/s. Prototype TVs from LG (pictured) have also been shown.

To enable the transition, DirecTV sees itself migrating from Ku-band to Ka-band satellites. Ka-band satellites offer higher bandwidth than Ku-band satellites, but reportedly are more susceptible to so-called "rain fade," or a degradation of performance during rainy conditions.

"At DirecTV we see a couple of things happening," Goswitz said. "First, our subscribers are migrating away from Ku-band, and upgrading themselves to Ka-band and its HDTV services. In four or five years, our Ku-band [transmissions] could end. We are also developing the so-called Reverse Band for DBS services, and these are on our Road Map for future international services. 4000-line is exciting to us because of its image quality, and the potential for glasses-free 3D."

Just wondering how Coinmaster thinks Dish is going to have 4 and 8K service in 5 Years , When Directv isn't even doing anything for 5-7 years and they have an entire fleet of KA satellites.
Look Directv is already talking about Compressing the heck out of it! So again why bother

Why not just improve what HD we have on Dish and Directv. Is Dish even 1920 x1080? last I heard no!

I think Coinmaster is right, You will need a Bigger dish cause you'll need a lot more satellites using KU

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts