Are you Ready for Directv's new HD Channels in September?

Are you ready for Directv's new HD Channels launching in September?

• Yes. I have a 5 LNB dish, B-Band Converters, and MPEG4 receiver (H20, HR20)

Votes: 664 81.9%
  • I plan on upgrading my Dish and/or Receiver in the next month or two

Votes: 66 8.1%
  • I am keeping my existing HD equipment and no plans to upgrade

Votes: 25 3.1%
  • I might upgrade next year

Votes: 26 3.2%
  • Do not subscribe to HD and/or no plans

Votes: 30 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well said!

But seriously, I would wait and see what Directv is going to do before I run out and buy any Directv equipment and consider subscribing.

And then the question is what HD channels is DISH Network going to add to match what Directv is offering, if for some reason they happen to have more HD channels than Dish on September 15th.

But its been what, 3 years Directv has been talking about adding 100 HD channels, where as Dish just continues to add them!

Not trying to say that Dish is better, but I wish they would just add these HD channels so we get this over with and cut all the hype!

Coming from someone who is in the industry, your posts seem a bit off from reality IMO.

While it hs been 3 years since DirecTV started talking about their HD plans, IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN TARGETED TO the end of 2007 - which BTW is NOW. they have NEVER talked about adding those channels BEFORE the new sats were launched - so stop the SPIN.

And in those 3 years that you mention, it took an unlucky break from Dolan (the TOTAL FAILURE OF VOOM) for DISH to gain ANY lead in the HD race. Great planning - hope that your competitor goes out of business.

And DirecTV HAS been adding HD channels much faster than DISH - but they have been HD locals - which FAR AND AWAY are the most desired channels for most of us. They have a huge edge there, and beginning again next month will only increase that lead further.

Let's not even mention the huge HD sports programming edge that DirecTV has had for MORE THAN 3 years.

And DirecTV HAS been adding HD channels much faster than DISH - but they have been HD locals - which FAR AND AWAY are the most desired channels for most of us. They have a huge edge there, and beginning again next month will only increase that lead further.
Great planning. Order some spotbeam only satellites for space based internet, and wait for that plan to fall apart. What can we do with those satellites? Oh, oh, how about HD locals!

Great planning. Order some spotbeam only satellites for space based internet, and wait for that plan to fall apart. What can we do with those satellites? Oh, oh, how about HD locals!

That was GM/Hughes. Its a funny post though. Got a good chuckle. :p

But I have to hand it to Directv for figuring a way how to make already purchased satellites into capable albeit underutilized HD spotbeam ones. They could have used them for international stuff. I am quite enjoying my HD locals and NESN HD. Good investment for me and oh, several million folks. Thats 90% of my summer watching.

That was GM/Hughes. Its a funny post though. Got a good chuckle. :p

But I have to hand it to Directv for figuring a way how to make already purchased satellites into capable albeit underutilized HD spotbeam ones. They could have used them for international stuff. I am quite enjoying my HD locals and NESN HD. Good investment for me and oh, several million folks. Thats 90% of my summer watching.
And that's my point. Good management reacts to changing market conditions.

The thread is titled :Are you ready for Directv's new hd Channels in September?

So my questjon is very simple and should probably be answered before voting.

What are the new HD channels coming in September?

Because i have been screwed by a lot of providors in the past and would never sign up again until I know for sure what I will get.
What if D* only adds like 5 channels in September and then you have to wait till March for another 10.

Look around, the list is in here somewhere ... once it's found, maybe it can be "Stickied" seeing it's mentioned often .

Jimbo

When was last time you got a straight answer from D*? Keep your hopes up!
I know E* is not perfect but for now they have the most HD and at least they are adding more HD programing. FOR SURE!. No ifs and when. E* only speaks out when they act. D* has been throwing out lies after lies. D* HD channels line up can be counted on 1 hand. While others wait and hope, I will enjoy my HD channels right now.

D* could easily do as E* has .... Don't say a word about ANYTHING that is happening, then no one would know anything, but when they threw the switch to add HD it would be there ... Just NO ONE would know about it.

I have a feeling after this is done, D* will be more tight lipped about things.

BTW, care to list the pages of D* lies you are talking about ???

Jimbo

D* could easily do as E* has .... Don't say a word about ANYTHING that is happening, then no one would know anything, but when they threw the switch to add HD it would be there ... Just NO ONE would know about it.

I have a feeling after this is done, D* will be more tight lipped about things.

BTW, care to list the pages of D* lies you are talking about ???

Jimbo

I think it would have been a ton of fun if we knew that Boeing was building D10/D11/D12 and didn't say a word about what they would be used for. We'd all have giant headache's trying to figure out what they were going to be used for.

Yes, but I thought that there was one that had the channels according to which month they were expecting it to go live.
Sept vs end of the year vs 1st q of next year.

This one will work fine.

Jimbo

I don't think I've seen one here. AVS has a fine list in the HDTV forum and DBSTalk has one as well.

Yep, and there is a link posted to it here somewhere.

EDIT: Is this it?

Available Now:
NLF Sunday Ticket / Super Fan
MLB Extra Innings / Super Fan
70 HBO East
71 SHO East
72 ESPN2
73 ESPN
74 UHD
75 TNT
76 Discovery HD Theater
78 HDNet Movies
79 HDNet
98 National Geographic Channel Sneak Peek
99 HD PPV
332 MHD Sneek Peek

Also available now depending on service area and equipment:

ABC
CBS
NBC
FOX
CW
MY Network TV
Regional Sports Network(s)

Coming in September:

A&E
Animal Planet
Big Ten Network
CineMax East
CineMax West
CNN
Discovery Channel
Food Network
HBO West
HGTV
History Channel
MHD (MTV)
NFL Network (Full-Time Sched)
Science Channel
Showtime West
Starz! East
Starz! West
Starz! Edge
Starz! Comedy
Starz Kids & Family
The Movie Channel
The National Geographic Channel
TBS
TLC
The Weather Channel
Versus / Golf

November:

RFD TV

Also Fall 2007:

Bravo
Cartoon
Chiller
CNBC
FX
HBO2 East
HBO2 West
HBO Family East
HBO Family West
HBO Latino East
HBO Signature East
MoreMax East
Sci-Fi
Sleuth
Speed
USA

Altitude
Comcast SportsNet Chicago
Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic
FSN Arizona
FSN Bay Area
FSN Detroit
FSN Florida
FSN New England
FSN North
FSN Northwest
FSN Ohio
FSN Prime Ticket
FSN Rocky Mountain
FSN South
FSN Southwest
FSN West
New England Sports Network
SportsNet New York
SportsSouth
Sun Sports
YES

December 2007:

The Tennis Channel

Spring 2008

Disney Channel
Toon Disney
ABC Family
ESPN News
Hallmark Channel
MGM

Announced HD for Fall 2007 but not necessarily for DirecTV:

Trinity Broadcasting Network

Announced HD channel rollouts by Spring 2008:

MAV TV
HBO Comedy East/West
HBO Latino West
HBO Signature West
HBO Zone East/West
@Max East
5 Star Max East
ActionMax East/West
MoreMax West
OuterMax East
ThrillerMax East/West
WMax East

Existing HD with no carriage info for:

Lifetime HD
MOJO
Outdoor 2
Playboy
Wealth

I am not making a move until I see what ch's they have up and running in Sept. I have waited this long, I can wait longer. I hope they offer something to me because I am ready for Fios in November in my area. I am going to weigh the 2 offers and go with the better of the two.

I think it would have been a ton of fun if we knew that Boeing was building D10/D11/D12 and didn't say a word about what they would be used for. We'd all have giant headache's trying to figure out what they were going to be used for.

Not only that, but when they turned them on, no one would be able to receive the offering - who would know to get MPEG4 boxes and 5lnb dishes?

Their HD rollout plan was in fact masterful. They have been migrating subs and new customers to the 5lnb, MPEG4 platform for 2 years now, they have a substantial number of subs READY TO GO - and its in ADVANCE of the launch of service. Sure beats the 'speculations' of - What sats will the MPEG4 service be on? Will I need to re-point my dish gardens to receive channels? Do I need different receivers? What ARE the names of the sats that are going to launch THIS year?

I agree ScoBuck. Just look at the results and the various threads. Not too many folks at this point shocked I need a 5 LNB dish and H20/HR20. Even the venom around the HR10-250 not working has subsided outside a few folks.

Their HD rollout plan was in fact masterful. They have been migrating subs and new customers to the 5lnb, MPEG4 platform for 2 years now, they have a substantial number of subs READY TO GO - and its in ADVANCE of the launch of service.

Ok, couple of things here:

1. I am not new to this forum, been around a while, don't post a lot, read almost every day.

2. I'm a D* sub since 1998, HD since Jan. 2002 (3-lnb & Samsung HD receiver).

3. My bill is regularly $100+ (I get MLB EI + SF and Sunday Ticket + SF every year)

4. On the rare occaision that I do call I am always told "you are one of our best customers".

At no point in this entire ramp-up by D* for HD have they communicated (TO ME as an HD subscriber) that I would need to upgrade my equipment in order to receive the new channels.

Now before anyone says anything like "it's been on here forever", I know this. I read this forum as well as DBSTalk almost every day (at least every work day ;) )

So, back to the original topic of this thread, I think there is an option missing from the poll choices..... "Waiting for D* to let me know I need to upgrade", because that is me.

Lastly, I did call when I received the Sunday Ticket mailer because it mentioned on it, in the fine print, something about an H20 receiver. I called and asked if I was going to need an H20 receiver in order to get the Sunday Ticket games in HD. I was told no, that I would be fine with the Samsung receiver that I currently have.

I guess my question here is, when is D* going to upgrade me? Or maybe I should say, when is D* going to let me know, as a current HD subscriber, that I need to upgrade my service/hardware in order to take advantage of new HD offerings?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)