Are you Ready for Directv's new HD Channels in September?

Are you ready for Directv's new HD Channels launching in September?

• Yes. I have a 5 LNB dish, B-Band Converters, and MPEG4 receiver (H20, HR20)

Votes: 664 81.9%
  • I plan on upgrading my Dish and/or Receiver in the next month or two

Votes: 66 8.1%
  • I am keeping my existing HD equipment and no plans to upgrade

Votes: 25 3.1%
  • I might upgrade next year

Votes: 26 3.2%
  • Do not subscribe to HD and/or no plans

Votes: 30 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Damn, I've been waiting since a dealer told me in mid-2004 that we'd see 70+ HD nationals later THAT year.

My bet is that the mpeg2's remain mpeg2. There are too many folks who still have HD-TiVO's, plus the recent agreement w/TiVO in support of those units. Also, taking channels away from some people is a great way to attract a class-action suit or action by Congress.

I highly doubt they would expend extra bandwidth by mirroring mpeg2-available channels in mpeg4.

Couple of things - first, if you didn't know - DISH just did this same thing with VOOM - they moved it on to MPEG4 and notified the subs that were getting it that they had to change to new receivers - so do't be sup[rised if DirecTV does it also, because it makes sense.

Second - they most likely WILL put all of the current HD offering onto MPEG4 right away (and mirror the MPEG2 channel). They are in fact going to migrate the remaining MPEG2 HD subs over to tyhe new platform.

Second - they most likely WILL put all of the current HD offering onto MPEG4 right away (and mirror the MPEG2 channel). They are in fact going to migrate the remaining MPEG2 HD subs over to tyhe new platform.

Got a PayPal account so we can make a friendly wager on that? They may do that eventually but I say they don't, at least not right away.

Last edited:
I cannot wait. Thanks to the retention dept I just received and had installed my HR20! I was actually shocked I only got 8 channels plus the Showtime they generously added on. I was expecting NFL Network in HD, although I am please that 94 replays the games in HD. All I have heard the past six months or more was the 100+ channels. Guess I should have looked into the programming more :D.

I am happy this is getting done soon. I think I may have to get an OTA for my locals, because they do broadcast HD, but D* doesn't offer them yet, and I am unsure they will be in the new package.

Does anyone know if our rates will increase, btw?

Oh, and HI!! Noob here!!

There were some live NFL network games in HD today.

Directv has said they won't increase rates when the additional channels are available. Increases usually occur around March, so we will see in six months or so.

There were some live NFL network games in HD today.
But those were on local/OTA feeds, weren't they? Is NFL Network doing preseason games in HD? I haven't checked, but I do mainly search my guide with the HD filter on, so if it was on NFL Network in HD, it didn't show up in my guide. :confused:

Couple of things - first, if you didn't know - DISH just did this same thing with VOOM - they moved it on to MPEG4 and notified the subs that were getting it that they had to change to new receivers - so do't be sup[rised if DirecTV does it also, because it makes sense.

I guess from a migration-perspective there's a decent argument for it. I just don't understand why it wouldn't be strictly MPEG2 for those channels, up to some final date when a final cutover happens.

I guess from a migration-perspective there's a decent argument for it. I just don't understand why it wouldn't be strictly MPEG2 for those channels, up to some final date when a final cutover happens.

Why would they? No reason to not put them in MPEG4 as well. It's not like they need to "save" the bandwidth. They need to put them up eventually anyway.

I personally hope they all get simulcast in MPEG4 for one reason: My HR20 will record 50 hours MPEG4 HD, only 20 hours MPEG2 HD. Thus going all MPEG4 more then doubles my HD recording capacity and I don't even need to add a hard drive to do it. ;)

Why would they? No reason to not put them in MPEG4 as well. It's not like they need to "save" the bandwidth. They need to put them up eventually anyway.

I personally hope they all get simulcast in MPEG4 for one reason: My HR20 will record 50 hours MPEG4 HD, only 20 hours MPEG2 HD. Thus going all MPEG4 more then doubles my HD recording capacity and I don't even need to add a hard drive to do it. ;)

Thats actually a good point that folks dont talk about much. MPEG2 is a big hard drive hog. With promises of better picture quality and smaller disk space, I want everything in MPEG4 on day 1. I will still do some OTA recordings but a good deal of my locals will be off Directv. I trust Directv's ABC then my crappy local LIN OTA version.

I got a cal from directv telling me I needed to upgrade my dish for the new channels (I already knew this), so i called to schedule an apt.. Seemed to be very easy and it was scheduled for tomorrow afternoon.. Then I get a call last night that I had not yet set an appointment time.. I went to directv.com and rescheduled for about 2 weeks from now.. Be interested to see if anybody shows up tomorrow.. I am doubtful they will do the install any way as my current dish is mounted on the side of my house and the mount will not take a 2" pole.. If they won't install it, I will just have them leave the dish and I have a local installer (not D*) that does great work for very reasonable $$.. I will just have to find a new wall mount.. I was thinking of getting one of those adapters that changes the pole size to 2", anybody have any experience with them..

Directv will install a pole if there is a problem with putting it on the house, but you have to let them know there could be a problem so the installer brings one.

Even thought all my MPEG4 STB's passed the ch 499 test and BBC's were all installed, I decided to order one from D* just as a spare. Today 8 BBC's show up, guess they just want to make sure that I'm covered.

Even thought all my MPEG4 STB's passed the ch 499 test and BBC's were all installed, I decided to order one from D* just as a spare. Today 8 BBC's show up, guess they just want to make sure that I'm covered.

I've had mixed results on my tests. Sometimes they search and other times comes with the splash screen so I ordered spares a few weeks back. No arrival yet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts