Are you Ready for Directv's new HD Channels in September?

Are you ready for Directv's new HD Channels launching in September?

• Yes. I have a 5 LNB dish, B-Band Converters, and MPEG4 receiver (H20, HR20)

Votes: 664 81.9%
  • I plan on upgrading my Dish and/or Receiver in the next month or two

Votes: 66 8.1%
  • I am keeping my existing HD equipment and no plans to upgrade

Votes: 25 3.1%
  • I might upgrade next year

Votes: 26 3.2%
  • Do not subscribe to HD and/or no plans

Votes: 30 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.
So, back to the original topic of this thread, I think there is an option missing from the poll choices..... "Waiting for D* to let me know I need to upgrade", because that is me.

Lastly, I did call when I received the Sunday Ticket mailer because it mentioned on it, in the fine print, something about an H20 receiver. I called and asked if I was going to need an H20 receiver in order to get the Sunday Ticket games in HD. I was told no, that I would be fine with the Samsung receiver that I currently have.

I guess my question here is, when is D* going to upgrade me? Or maybe I should say, when is D* going to let me know, as a current HD subscriber, that I need to upgrade my service/hardware in order to take advantage of new HD offerings?

You are definately right. They have not directly done a good job of communicating or force upgrading folks. Maybe their strategy is get it out there, then start to officially communicate and/or persuade upgrade.

I would have put your choice but that one would be hard since if you are here, that pretty much negates everyone. If this was out in a clean area then it would be viable. But I do agree, its been odd that most of this upgrade transition has been on the consumer side and not driven by Directv.

Good Question Stunner. You'd think they would have called by now.

I'm a dish subscriber since about '97, so I'm loyal to them and love their service. I love that channel listing up there, good post. So SciFi, USA, and FX are definitely being turned on by those respective networks this fall and when they are, D* will have them? That's awesome.

When I called E* last week about getting another HD receiver, every rep told me the same thing like you described Stunner, "Whoa, you're a really good customer, 10 years!" So I have my 2nd HD receiver coming this Saturday hopefully. If I was you, I'd call them and tell them that yeah, you are a good and loyal customer, and now you want FREE stuff! lol

I like both services though, If I was rich, I'd have both. Just because I'm techno greedy. But I'm with another post up there, if I had FIOS in my future, my loyalty would certainly be tested. But I'm right north of New Orleans. I don't think FIOS is in our future....maybe in 10 years or more lol.

But if you D*ers get those channels, that's awesome. That's a pretty good roll out. I hope E* can keep up once you guys have all that. I guess I never wanted to go there because I live where I can get all my Saints games without the NFL pack, and I hate baseball...snoorree. Peace Out Fellow Satellite Addicts!

They have had a 'soft' rollout model so far. People that inquire for the new stuff, those getting new HD sets and all new subs are getting the new platform.

They did some forced upgrades to the H20 back a year ago as well.

I believe that they will again begin contacting people to offer the new dish/receivers in the very near future.

They have managed to migrate a substantial portion of their HD base (and new subs) already. All new HD upgrades in the past year or so have been 5lnb. As existing subs called them for HD boxes for their new TV's, they were installed.

If you listened to the recent conference calls they continue to talk about HD and DVR growth the past year or so. Those subs are now on the MPEG4 platform.

I got to believe they have it figured out how to handle the reminaing legacy HD base. The legacy MPEG2 HD base is now the minority of their total HD population.

I got to believe they have it figured out how to handle the reminaing legacy HD base. The legacy MPEG2 HD base is now the minority of their total HD population.

Sure, all I'm saying is that you'd think they'd send me an e-mail or a flyer saying something like "You're such a good customer and have had our HD service for 5 years......you know all that new HD we've been saying is coming, well, you're going to need to upgrade your equipment to get it."

That's all I'm looking for.

It just strikes me odd that they'd choose to wait for the channels to be available and have me call them and complain that I have HD service but yet can't get the new channels.....see what I'm saying?

Sure, all I'm saying is that you'd think they'd send me an e-mail or a flyer saying something like "You're such a good customer and have had our HD service for 5 years......you know all that new HD we've been saying is coming, well, you're going to need to upgrade your equipment to get it."

It just strikes me odd that they'd choose to wait for the channels to be available and have me call them and complain that I have HD service but yet can't get the new channels.....see what I'm saying?

I certainly do. I wonder how it will play out, and when they will go after the legacy base full bore.

Question though - since you DO know abut all of this stuff - why HAVEN'T you upgraded yet?

I think we definately get it and agree its odd to the consumer and shouldn't be this way. But there must be reasons and a timeline and cost factored in. So their strategy may have been more pull then push and through natural transition, move everyone over. If those that got smart, they could negotiate a deal and the rest do as anything gets upgraded and handle all new customers. So that communication you are looking for, might be planned and come much later maybe even 2008. Spread your transition costs over multiple quarters and fiscal years. Still no reason for you not to trump that communication and negotiate a good deal.

Obviously some different schools of thought here for sure.

As soon as I became aware of the new H20 receivers in 2005 (and the need for a new 5 lnb dish) I decided to become an 'early adopter'.

I was told that I couldn't schedule a AT9 install untiil HD-lils came to my DMA, but I WAS ABLE to negotiate my deal for the equipment (2-H20's and the DISH) with retention before they let me order it. I made sure they put into my account notes that we had agreed that I would get my stuff FREE. Totally FREE no s/h or anything.

When I was finally able to order, I had retention look over my account notes, they read this stuff, and they indeed honored my deal. I was among the first in the NY DMA to be installed.

I used the same approach for my 2 HR20's. I got 2 for a total of $99 - and had them waive the 2 year committment.

If you remember, Bob Mercer had given a press statement of some sort that existing HD customers would be upgraded for free - I used that info to get my deal.

Today, its is still possible but much more difficult to negotiate a similar deal. But I saw no reason to wait, and had I been forced to have a 2 year committment it would almost be over already.

Another part of this is I have enjoyed watching them work on the MPEG4 signal over the past year and a half. They have made great improvements - its been fun to observe and partake.

Question though - since you DO know abut all of this stuff - why HAVEN'T you upgraded yet?

HA, good question. There are a bunch of reasons.

1. My Samsung receiver is currently hooked up to a Sony 43" 4:3 HD Ready TV. So, I'm not dying for cutting edge HD technology. That being said, it still provides a good vehicle for HD and I'd certainly like to get as many HD channels as possible.

2. One of the early MPEG4 adoption reasons was for HD locals. Well, I can pull in 95% of my local HD (and digital) channels with an off-air antenna (far more then D* provides currently). So there was no reason (and still is no reason) for me to upgrade when those became available.

3. Somebody on here has a signature that reads "when the wife is happy everybody is happy" or something like that. Definitely applies in my home.

So, there really hasn't been a pressing need for me to push this. I just figured they would come to me eventually.

HA, good question. There are a bunch of reasons.

1. My Samsung receiver is currently hooked up to a Sony 43" 4:3 HD Ready TV. So, I'm not dying for cutting edge HD technology. That being said, it still provides a good vehicle for HD and I'd certainly like to get as many HD channels as possible.

2. One of the early MPEG4 adoption reasons was for HD locals. Well, I can pull in 95% of my local HD (and digital) channels with an off-air antenna (far more then D* provides currently). So there was no reason (and still is no reason) for me to upgrade when those became available.

3. Somebody on here has a signature that reads "when the wife is happy everybody is happy" or something like that. Definitely applies in my home.

So, there really hasn't been a pressing need for me to push this. I just figured they would come to me eventually.

I understand the wife thing. I have an HD Tivo that is not going anywhere. 90% of what she watches is HD OTA so the 100 new stuff is mostly no interest. So there is always a compromise. Keep something that makes her happy but get something to handle the new stuff. I cant imagine paying for the HD package and not getting all that I am being charged for. A lot of us have been paying this fee on and off with credit offsets for a long time for not very many channels. Now they are finally expanding it so you should be ready to. Dont sit back and wait, join the fun! :D

Can someone explain the need for B-Band Converters? I just signed up as a new D* customer (installation is in a couple of weeks). I requested the H20, and the Slimline, should I have also requested B-Band Converters? Maybe they're included standard in installation nowadays?

Can someone explain the need for B-Band Converters? I just signed up as a new D* customer (installation is in a couple of weeks). I requested the H20, and the Slimline, should I have also requested B-Band Converters? Maybe they're included standard in installation nowadays?

They are just small devices at the end of the coax line right before they go into the receiver. They come with the receiver so nothing for you to worry about. All they do is allow the new satellite D10 and future D11 to work with the receiver. The installer will put it on.

I have an HR10-250 with 3 LNB dish right now. Just called and got scheduled for Sept 7th upgrade (over-grade?) to the HR20 HD DVR and 5 LNB dish.

second quarter webcast....chase carey is saying almost 70 channels to be launched by end of third quarter.......some of those channels won't come onboard until the actual national hd channel is launched!

I am switching to Dish.I can not see upgrading to a hr20 without the dual live buffers.I love my Directv service but feel like they screwed me by making a dvr sub par to the hr 10 250.

Confirmed on the Earnings call today.

They have signed agreements with 90 HD channels.
There will be 70 channels added between launch and end of 3rd quarter.
They should make it to 100 by the end of the year.

Next sat will launch Dec 07/Jan 08 and will increase their capacity to 150 and greatly increase their HD locals allowing them to add all of them if they so choose.

Promises

yawn!

I have had Natl. Geo HD, StarzHD, Food HD, HGTV-HD since I switched from cable to DISH in Jan. We're getting a bunch of HD channels on Wednesday Aug. 15th, with no upgrades. Hope DISH gets Comcast SportsNet Chicago by next baseball season. Oh yeah, and No Contract :D and no $300 to Lease a NON-award-winning DVR and no Motorola:D.

However, I wish D* well as competition gets everyone off their @ss. :hungry:

I too find it weird for someone to bail right before the biggest HD moment in history when there are ways to get the equipment for free or at a small cost. Just puzzles me. :confused:

Got me to, guess they just REALLY love DLB. IMHO, just say bye to the folks and let it go, not worth going into it anymore.

Status
Please reply by conversation.