Are you Ready for Directv's new HD Channels in September?

Are you ready for Directv's new HD Channels launching in September?

• Yes. I have a 5 LNB dish, B-Band Converters, and MPEG4 receiver (H20, HR20)

Votes: 664 81.9%
  • I plan on upgrading my Dish and/or Receiver in the next month or two

Votes: 66 8.1%
  • I am keeping my existing HD equipment and no plans to upgrade

Votes: 25 3.1%
  • I might upgrade next year

Votes: 26 3.2%
  • Do not subscribe to HD and/or no plans

Votes: 30 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Got me to, guess they just REALLY love DLB. IMHO, just say bye to the folks and let it go, not worth going into it anymore.

I dont knock anyone who really loves a feature and feels left out when its left out. But there are workarounds to it and there were serious flaws and lacking things in the HR10-250 too. I loved that unit but there were definite things I wanted to change or fix in it. But it didnt stop me from enjoying all the benefits of the unit or with some of the new ones in the HR20. To each their own.

yawn!

I have had Natl. Geo HD, StarzHD, Food HD, HGTV-HD since I switched from cable to DISH in Jan. We're getting a bunch of HD channels on Wednesday Aug. 15th, with no upgrades. Hope DISH gets Comcast SportsNet Chicago by next baseball season. Oh yeah, and No Contract :D and no $300 to Lease a NON-award-winning DVR and no Motorola:D.

However, I wish D* well as competition gets everyone off their @ss. :hungry:

Can you please help me? What channels are MLB-EI on? Or NFL ST?

They are just small devices at the end of the coax line right before they go into the receiver. They come with the receiver so nothing for you to worry about. All they do is allow the new satellite D10 and future D11 to work with the receiver. The installer will put it on.

Thanks for the info. One more question; I didn't know which multiswitch to request so I didn't mention it. Which multiswitch will they give me (1-room HD)? I plan on upgrading to an HD/DVR and maybe a standard receiver in a second room in a few months. Should I mention this to the installer?

Thanks for the info. One more question; I didn't know which multiswitch to request so I didn't mention it. Which multiswitch will they give me (1-room HD)? I plan on upgrading to an HD/DVR and maybe a standard receiver in a second room in a few months. Should I mention this to the installer?

If you are only going to have 2 receivers you would not need a multiswitch.

As Jag mentioned if you are 4 or under lines, you wont need a multiswitch. If you are going to more lines later, you better call Directv and have them put a multiswitch into the work order. If you do not, the installer will not put one. It takes money out their bottom line as Directv will not compensate for it. I've seen folks get one installed and not have more then 4 lines but again you have to negotiate that with Directv ahead of time.

I got my 5 LNB and HR20 in June for the F38310 and moved the HR10-250 downstairs to take care of the Panny 900. But my F38310 went up in smoke last week. NNNNOoooooo! After all this time waiting for D*. Since college tuition bills are due next week for the 2 youngest ones, I'm resorting to trying to replace the fried diode(s) in the RCA. Wish me luck. The HR20 may have to migrate downstairs.

Don

Called for my upgrade today, To my surprise they are installing on Monday morning. Replacing my HD-Tivo with the new HD-DVR (actually moving the HD-Tivo to another room) and also getting a regular HD box to replace another old Samsung HD box. New slimline dish is also going up on Monday.

...Now before anyone says anything like "it's been on here forever", I know this. I read this forum as well as DBSTalk almost every day (at least every work day ;) )

I guess my question here is, when is D* going to upgrade me? Or maybe I should say, when is D* going to let me know, as a current HD subscriber, that I need to upgrade my service/hardware in order to take advantage of new HD offerings?

Stunner,

I know you already answered this issue (happy wife=happy home :D ) but to me the issue is if you see that your house is on fire and can smell the smoke, do you a) get the hell out of the house, or b) wait until the fire department is knocking your front door down saying "Get the F*ck out!"?

For anyone who takes the time to be informed (by reading this or any other sat forum), you shouldn't have to wait until D* calls/emails you. As a regular reader, you have known about things days/weeks/months before they are announced in a press release or mentioned on any advertising/commercial. Not everyone who comes to these sites participates in every conversation, but may simply be here for the information.

So whether it's this new MPEG4 HD rollout or something else, take the knowledge that is shared here and elsewhere and act on it...don't wait for someone to call you. As ScoBuck mentioned a few posts ago, he got all sorts of discounts/freebies because he was willing to essentially be an early adopter. Now it can cost upwards of $300 to get the new equipment, unless you are willing to fight the CSR's for something else.

To everyone else who is waiting for D* to contact them, don't hold your breath. Get on board now and enjoy the ride. ;)

and to add to that...

Although I do remember reading that DirecTV was initially going to call users in some particular order to upgrade; once word got out to the public that they subsequently announced via press that due circumstances, they would just field calls by interested parties rather than to make outgoing calls. At least thats how I read it many moons ago. Hell, that's they way I would prefer it anyhow.

The fact that D* is not notifying customers means that the equipment rollout is somewhat staggered, based upon the speed with which customers discover the necessity.

Local installers here are already bogged down and installs are scheduled three weeks away.

I think at some point D* will notify those who have not heard the news, at least by a bill insert.

Just remember that the majority of the HD base is now on the MPEG4 platform.

While they haven't announced future swap-out plans, you can be assured theat they are in place already.

I have the H20 reciever and slimline dish. But what is the B-band converter that is supposed to be on the back??? I can not remember if my installer put anything on the back of the receiver or not.

I have the H20 reciever and slimline dish. But what is the B-band converter that is supposed to be on the back??? I can not remember if my installer put anything on the back of the receiver or not.

Just take a look to see if you have it - it would be attached directly to the IRD, The coax in from the switch goes into the BBC.

First off, D* isn't notifiying customers because there is nothing to notify them about until after the go live date. After that date you can expect a marketing blitz which will include "to get these new channels you need an MPEG4 capable HD receiver, call us today to find out if you have one or to upgrade". All this time they aren't going to push upgrades for something that doesn't exist yet. They've been busy upgrading people in the markets where HD locals are available. And since this already covers 75% of the population, I think it's safe to say the vast majority of HD customers already have an MPEG4 receiver outside those Tivo Forum folks who think by "holding out" they will get D* to offer an MPEG4 Tivo. Their loss I guess.

First off, D* isn't notifiying customers because there is nothing to notify them about until after the go live date. After that date you can expect a marketing blitz which will include "to get these new channels you need an MPEG4 capable HD receiver, call us today to find out if you have one or to upgrade". All this time they aren't going to push upgrades for something that doesn't exist yet. They've been busy upgrading people in the markets where HD locals are available. And since this already covers 75% of the population, I think it's safe to say the vast majority of HD customers already have an MPEG4 receiver outside those Tivo Forum folks who think by "holding out" they will get D* to offer an MPEG4 Tivo. Their loss I guess.

I think this is the response I was looking for.

Also, I don't think the analogy to a burning house is accurate. In this case with D* I don't have to do anything. Everything that I currently have works fine. I'm very happy with all the services I get. I'm just asking "at what point does D* look at me as a customer and think they should be getting more money out of me and get me moved to the new equipment"?

I think Bon provide the answer, although I will say that I think that's a lowsy way to do business, because what will most likely happen is (for those that are not as informed as me) people who do not have the new equipment will call and complain that they can't get the new HD channels.

Thanks for all the comments.

Upgraded to HR-20 2 months ago.:D Installed my Slimline Dish 2 weeks ago.:) Signal is locked in.:up Now I just hope Dean doesn't rip through S. Florida and relocate my dish to a neighbors back yard a week before football season starts:mad:.

GEAUX SAINTS

I'm just asking "at what point does D* look at me as a customer and think they should be getting more money out of me and get me moved to the new equipment"?

But didn't you say your monthly bill exceeds $100? How low should the threshold be set? I think it's reasonable to think that D* probably automates a process, checking whether bills include HD service, and how high the monthly bill is, to decide whether to include a notice on or along-with your bill.

Whether they call you is subject to your opt-out privacy selections.

Don't forget: there D* are info channels and commercials, telling of the new equipment and content, that almost everybody ignores as "background-noise".

I think Bon provide the answer, although I will say that I think that's a lowsy way to do business, because what will most likely happen is (for those that are not as informed as me) people who do not have the new equipment will call and complain that they can't get the new HD channels.

Why do you say that? The vast majority of current HD subscribers are folks who consider themselves early-adopters and always want the latest/greatest equipment. To-date each newly-introduced IRD has had initial supply issues.

Why start a blitz of irate customers looking for equipment when supply can't meet demand, for channels that have yet-to-be released? Seems to me that's a worse way to do business.

Why start a blitz of irate customers looking for equipment when supply can't meet demand, for channels that have yet-to-be released? Seems to me that's a worse way to do business.

And why blitz to upgrade customers when the channels may not happen. First hurdle is done, the sat is up and in orbit. Now comes all the testing. While the big things that could go wrong are probably past, you just never know what might happen. They have already stuck their neck out advertising that "it's coming". No need to really stick your neck out before anything actually happens.

And why blitz to upgrade customers when the channels may not happen. First hurdle is done, the sat is up and in orbit. Now comes all the testing. While the big things that could go wrong are probably past, you just never know what might happen. They have already stuck their neck out advertising that "it's coming". No need to really stick your neck out before anything actually happens.

I think we can safely say it's past questioning whether it will happen. The birds in the sky, the transponders are available, and the deals have been struck to carry content. Things can still happen, but it's past the stage where D* could backtrack or choose an alternate route.

HOWEVER: D* has always been conservative in the sense that they don't make announcements until they are committed beyond a doubt. It makes sense, esp. in a case like this, to remain conservative. Whip-up a frenzy, and if you have any problems at all, it's going to hit the stock price big-time.

OTOH, if you're conservative, you give the more subscribers a better upgrade experience.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)