Are you Ready for Directv's new HD Channels in September?

Are you ready for Directv's new HD Channels launching in September?

• Yes. I have a 5 LNB dish, B-Band Converters, and MPEG4 receiver (H20, HR20)

Votes: 664 81.9%
  • I plan on upgrading my Dish and/or Receiver in the next month or two

Votes: 66 8.1%
  • I am keeping my existing HD equipment and no plans to upgrade

Votes: 25 3.1%
  • I might upgrade next year

Votes: 26 3.2%
  • Do not subscribe to HD and/or no plans

Votes: 30 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.
This is potentially great news, I know a lot of us have been waiting since the day they first announced these plans, seems like so long ago. Now lets all just hope we get some excellent quality HD feeds.

Should we expect all the current HD channels to switch to Mpeg 4 when this new sat goes live? Or will the current stuff stay Mpeg 2 (I know it will still be on in Mpeg 2 for the older boxes) for a while?

Should we expect all the current HD channels to switch to Mpeg 4 when this new sat goes live? Or will the current stuff stay Mpeg 2 (I know it will still be on in Mpeg 2 for the older boxes) for a while?

Thats the big mystery. Most of us are wishing they go MPEG4 from the start mirrored for us with the "RIGHT" equipment. We are assuming but no official word.

This is potentially great news, I know a lot of us have been waiting since the day they first announced these plans, seems like so long ago. Now lets all just hope we get some excellent quality HD feeds.

Damn, I've been waiting since a dealer told me in mid-2004 that we'd see 70+ HD nationals later THAT year.

My bet is that the mpeg2's remain mpeg2. There are too many folks who still have HD-TiVO's, plus the recent agreement w/TiVO in support of those units. Also, taking channels away from some people is a great way to attract a class-action suit or action by Congress.

I highly doubt they would expend extra bandwidth by mirroring mpeg2-available channels in mpeg4.

Thats the big mystery. Most of us are wishing they go MPEG4 from the start mirrored for us with the "RIGHT" equipment. We are assuming but no official word.

Only if all the MPEG 4 equipment works the way it's suppose to.
Then Yes, bring it on !

Jimbo

My bet is that the mpeg2's remain mpeg2. There are too many folks who still have HD-TiVO's, plus the recent agreement w/TiVO in support of those units. Also, taking channels away from some people is a great way to attract a class-action suit or action by Congress.

I highly doubt they would expend extra bandwidth by mirroring mpeg2-available channels in mpeg4.

Well, the will remain MPEG2 for a while, perhaps a year or so, but they will be shutdown as quickly as they can so they can free up the bandwidth on the main birds. This will allow them to increase SD PQ (that'll be the day) or add more SD channels or expand interactive stuff.

There is no wasting of bandwidth on the new sats. ALL HD will be on them.

And there are not that many people with just HD-Tivo's. At their peak there were only 250K of them. The rate that you see people getting MPEG4 equipment (even those with HR10s) is very fast (just check the Tivo forum). Only a very small amount of these people will still not have any MPEG4 receiver come this time next year, most will have at least added an HR20 to their receiver mix.

And there is no extra "agreement" with Tivo. There always has been one. Tivo providing an update next year is simply part of the contract that has always been there since it was signed a couple years ago. Nothing more then that. There are some 4 million SD DirecTivos and those aren't going away any time soon until the hardware dies.

I just got installed 2 days ago. So I think I have the 5-LNB dish and I know I have the H20, but what's a B-band converter?

By the way, I am having a great time on the forums learning about things. Great tips and answers to questions I have. Nice group of knowledgable folks.

I just got installed 2 days ago. So I think I have the 5-LNB dish and I know I have the H20, but what's a B-band converter?

By the way, I am having a great time on the forums learning about things. Great tips and answers to questions I have. Nice group of knowledgable folks.

Good to hear. We try to confuse folks with as much info as we can. :D The B-Band is this little box that came with your H20. It starts out in a gray box. It connects into the H20 where the satellite line goes. It just goes from sat line, to B-Band Converter to receiver. If you didnt get one or lost it, you can order one here.

DIRECTV - HD Online Equipment Check

Never mind about previous question, I found the answer on another thread. Told you this place is great! So, now I can vote cuz i'm ready!

Good to hear. We try to confuse folks with as much info as we can. :D The B-Band is this little box that came with your H20. It starts out in a gray box. It connects into the H20 where the satellite line goes. It just goes from sat line, to B-Band Converter to receiver. If you didnt get one or lost it, you can order one here.

DIRECTV - HD Online Equipment Check

Speedy answer, thanks! Yep, I went at looked at the back and there it is. I am soooo ready!

Speedy answer, thanks! Yep, I went at looked at the back and there it is. I am soooo ready!

Awesome. Make sure to go to channel 499 and see if it says SEARCHING for SAT SIGNAL. If it does, then you are definately ready.

Did you read the good news that the new Sat is progressing nicely and should be on track or earlier then 9/15? I cant wait.

Awesome. Make sure to go to channel 499 and see if it says SEARCHING for SAT SIGNAL. If it does, then you are definately ready.

Did you read the good news that the new Sat is progressing nicely and should be on track or earlier then 9/15? I cant wait.

Yup, 499 says it's the B-Band converter station, and it searches for sat signal.

I've been reading every thread on HD updates, very excited. Now we can finally use this tv we paid the bigs bucks for for what it was intended.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sports Pack Benefits?

HR20 and Ilo tv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts