Are you ready for some football? ESPN says...no

Status
Not open for further replies.
cosmo_kramer said:
ESPN has suspended many an employee in the past for a lot worse than this and guess what?? They'll be OK. This will be nothing but a blip on the radar. The NFL is ratings gold...

Excellent post.

Thank goodness...I really disliked that stupid song! Now, if we just get Monday Night Football off of ESPN.
That intro has been stale for a long time. I assume ESPN hung with it an attempt to keep the MNF audience intact. I usually pass on MNF, unless I'm a fan of a team playing in it...I get enough of football, both college and pro, over the weekend. I was surprised to see that intro still being used the last time I watched. I'd much prefer some hot little female pop star up there myself. ;)

all this PC stuff just makes me sick...... having said that, i've been sick of that song for years now. won't miss it!

I have never even heard of this comment by Hank Jr. until ESPN made headlines for banning the song because of his past remarks.

worse case, Hank could always take the song to Fox, CBS, or NBC. Afterall, he owns the copywrite on the song and can take it anywhere.

I'm sure the NFL won't be hardpressed to find another intro-song for MNF. Pink and now Faith Hill have successfully done a great job with the Sunday Night Football on NBC song. Plus, I'd much rather look at Faith Hill dance around and sing than some old hillbilly with a mouth full of chew and Strangler jeans. Groussssseeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) :eek: :D

worse case, Hank could always take the song to Fox, CBS, or NBC. Afterall, he owns the copywrite on the song and can take it anywhere.
That really would be worst case. It was a great intro when the song came back for its second life back in the 90s. It was actually a popular song in 1984. I don't like seeing it taken down because ESPN wants to appear to be taking the high ground, but it really is time to let the song go into a time capsule for a decade or three.

Good luck with that. Those networks aren't any different than ESPN in that regard. Anyone remember Jimmy the Greek??

It was an old tired song. Ratings are awful on MNF now that it is no longer on ABC. A new song is really needed.
Poor excuse to pull it because of what he said even if it sounded ignorant. Anytime anyone is compared to a Nazi or Hitler the conversation goes downhill. Better to have just dumped it and not you use an excuse.

Since Smithy dropped this on us at Sonic I'll return the favor.
MNF, and Hank. Freedom of speech issue?

Why are you dragging a Sports thread into a political forum??
laughing-smiley-014.gif

Its not even a free speech issue if one looks at the statement in context let alone like Todd said. Its a private corporation decision not the government's. Well unless Obama had something to do with the decision like the Ford Commercial.. .Ohhh You guys didn't hear about that?? Lemme bring you up to speed.. ford commercial pulled or http://www.nonsensibleshoes.com/2011...led-buyer.html

Get it quick the internet is being scrubbed of this as we speak..

Williams never even said anything inappropriate but ESPN had a knee jerk reaction to kiss Obama's butt. What Williams used was an ANALOGY, not a accusation or derogative association. Besides, the liberals are free to think Williams meant Bohnier was the inferred Hitler but the whiny Libs prefer to be their usual victims.

Bear! ......????? ???? !!
On Utopia
"I'm interested in keeping other people from building Utopia, because the more you believe you can create heaven on earth, the more likely you are to set up guillotines in the public square to hasten the process. "-- James Lileks
http://www.sonicbabble.com/forums/s...nk.-Freedom-of-speech-issue&p=98250#post98250

Status
Not open for further replies.