Are you using a Laptop or Desktop Computer? Do you think the desktop pc is dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cinnabun93

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
United States
I am using a desktop that I have built for gaming. I here all the time that desktops are dead and I know many people that don't have one anymore.

At home I have no more desktops. And use a laptop whereever I am.

Sometimes I just carry an iPad with me and that does most of what I need it to do no matter where I am at.

I use several of both. Especially at work, the desktop will remain king, with better bang for the buck, greater reliability, easier repair and expansion, and less likely to "disappear."

Even at home, I prefer the desktop. MUCH easier to write these long missives on SatelliteGuys with a regular keyboard in front of a large screen. ;)

At work, or home?

I use a laptop at work for general computing, email and requirements use. I can carry it into meetings.
I use desktops when I need to interface with equipment. More flexible I/O and desktops don't tend to walk away from the test stations.

At home I use an iMac. Like the bright, large screen and the OSX stability. However, the re are several laptops in use by the family.

As usual, it depends.

At home we use laptops for general surfing and working on non-sensitive documents from the house...and I reimage them all the time. I keep two desktops behind an internal firewall, which is limited to accessing only a a few dozen trusted banking/financial/patch/AV sites. The desktops store all our sensitive documents (using AES256 filesystem encryption) and are the only computers that can access our online accounts (outer-router/FW only permits access to these sites from the inner-FW). Anyway, I still use the desktops for video editing, but this may change after I recently purchased an i7 laptop.

I use desktop computers at the office and at client sites, but I also use a company laptop to access the Internet and company VPN since the client sites are locked-down pretty tight. I don't think the desktops are dead, but I do think we'll see even more thin-clients deployed in the corporate enterprise.

I use a mac mini in my home office and an iPad in the living room or when i am on the road....

Primarily I use my desktop. Just prefer it because it is faster, has better graphics, larger screen, no battery to worry about etc. I am using my iPad more than my laptop now. I just use the laptop for typing long documents, emails, and such.

I now use only laptops (and also servers!) both at work and at home. Haven't used a desktop in the past 3-4 years!
I don't think desktops are dead, especially in the office environment, but personally I prefer portability.
In the past, laptops were just too heavy, too expensive and not powerfull enough for heavy tasks (e.g. video processing).
Today, laptops offer enough horsepower to handle pretty much anything I need, while being light enough to carry around and costing just a fraction of what I paid for a laptop a few years ago.

I own a desktop, but pretty much exclusively use my laptop (mbp); the desktop is not dead, but the way I work at home, the laptop is far more convenient, and the mbp is so powerful, it is does everything I need.

I've been using laptops since 2003 now. They take up less room and easy to move around and just a lot better looking in a room. Also flexible for someone that may want to take it places. I have not taken the current one I have many places since I have owned it this past year as it has been mainly used like a desktop would be used just sitting there.

I hate disconnecting everything from my laptop and use a wireless keyboard and mouse with it. Almost defeats the purpose of a laptop by some people's standards.

Thanks for your posts everyone. I for one use my desktop 99 percent of the time and use my touchpad for browsing and stuff around the house. I am the sucker who paid retail for the HP Touchpad earlier last month when it came out because I saw a future for web os. Now look what has happened Lol.

...I am the sucker who paid retail for the HP Touchpad earlier last month when it came out because I saw a future for web os. Now look what has happened Lol.

There are three reasons why I buy our laptops at Costco: good price, 2-year warranty (perfect since I get a new one every 2-years), and 90-day return policy. Hopefully you bought it as Costco. :)

I use a desktop and my daughter has a laptop. When I use her laptop I just don't like it, I need a mouse for scrolling I don't like using the arrow keys.

I use a laptop twice a month for bill paying/online banking. Then it gets put away until the next time.

Desktop gets 99+% of the use.

Laptop = Less durable, no upgrade on the screen size. More expensive to repair and slower than same dollar$ desktop.

Spill some water in the desktop keyboard, $10+ fixed, spill the same water in a laptop, just as likely need a new laptop.

I see it all the time in our computer repair shop. People using a laptop as a desktop and living with the limitations. 15.6" screens... I thought the 15.4" screens were bad....

Plus a ridiculous cost for a good gaming laptop.

but a desktop doesn't have the wow factor.....

I use a laptop twice a month for bill paying/online banking. Then it gets put away until the next time.

Laptop = Less durable, no upgrade on the screen size. More expensive to repair and slower than same dollar$ desktop.

Spill some water in the desktop keyboard, $10+ fixed, spill the same water in a laptop, just as likely need a new laptop.

I see it all the time in our computer repair shop. People using a laptop as a desktop and living with the limitations. 15.6" screens... I thought the 15.4" screens were bad....

My work and home laptops both have a docking solution. When I am at my desk, the laptop is elevated so that the top of the screen is at eye level. I have a standard keyboard and mouse connected. The display workspace is extended onto a 24" monitor to the left of the laptop screen. All my engineering tools get placed in the larger real estate, with the laptop screen reserved for housekeeping, mail, and short term overflow viewing.

I would have a second display on a desktop as well these days. My home machine has 2 large external disks. The work one is hooked up to the project networked drives. The nice thing is that I don't have to plan ahead to take my laptop to a meeting. Just disconnect. The windows default back to the main display and the networked drives still connect over the wireless lan.

The laptop keyboard IS terrible, but I only use it when mobile. In summary, using a laptop allows me to be more flexible, with no compromise in usability or capability.

Totally agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)