Artifacts and bad quality HD

killermiller

Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
Texas
We have had DISH HD for a couple of years now and have been somewhat satisfied.

A few months ago I decided to hook up my TV with the HDMI cables instead of the component. We have the 722 duo HD receiver. Well, the picture ended up looking better in my opinion, as well as the sound.

I then noticed a blur along the bottom of the screen with fast moving objects on scrollers. I'm sure this was due to the LCD tv we had. As I continued watching, I noticed weird artifacts, as if the signal would almost move within itself. I again decided this was due to my LCD tv, it was a few years old. I decided to switch back to component, because it didn't do this with that.

I then use Dish On demand and rented an HD movie, the artifacts came back with component and the HDMI cables. It was rather annoying so I stopped watching those and decided I needed to upgrade my television.

I just recently upgraded my television. It is a very high end plasma television. Low and behold... the artifacts are back. I don't believe there is ANY reason for this to be happening and now I know that its NOT the television. Blu Rays look perfectly fine, but the quality of DISH HD has been hit and miss. I have recently had skipping on some of the shows that requires me to restart the receiver for it to go back to normal. The artifacts look even worse on this TV since it is bigger, and its pretty annoying. They are really bad during Dish on demand movies and sports (the ticker doesn't blur anymore which was definitely the LCD)... and not as bad on any of the premium channels.

I looked at my signal and its 72, I don't know if this could be the problem and I'm not too adept at changing any of these settings, because I have no clue what I'm doing.

Any help would be appreciated!

THANKS!
Mills

It's Dish's fault. My Hd channels have a "pulsing" effect. The picture looks clear for a second, then gets blurry, then gets clear, back to blurry. Over and over again. Thinking of switching to Direct. My parents have Direct, and their Hd channels don't do have this problem.

I'm seeing the same "blurry" problem as well as artifacts for fast moving scenes on Dish. For example, at the beginning of NBC Nightly News. After they introduce the stories, they have some fast moving graphics while the intro music gets louder before Brian Williams starts the show. I see a lot of pixelation.

I've seen some annoying compression artifacts since (very recently) switching to Dish--but overall I'm seeing much less than we had with Uverse.

Is DirecTV supposed to be better in this regard?

:tux:Have seen none of this on hi def from eastern arc sats. Hi def Tv picture has been as good as I have ever seen. Try new hdmi cable or switch to component (3 plug) cable for video and rca red/white cable for audio. HDMI cable could be unshielded and allowing interference:eek:

sorry about suggesting component cable...I see you already did...maybe a receiver problem???

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts