As expected, Cubs beat the White Sox to the punch to talk to Theo Epstein

Why do you think that?
Theo didn't really do all the work in Boston. He was just a part of what helped the Red Sox win a World Series. And now that he's in Chicago you well see how overrated he was. He made many mistakes. The last one was Carl Crawford. John Henry didn't want him. The Cubs need a new Stadium. Wrigley is a mess.

Last edited:
televisionarchives said:
Theo didn't really do all the work in Boston. He was just a part of what helped the Red Sox win a World Series. And now that he's in Chicago you well see how overrated he was. He made many mistakes. The last one was Carl Crawford. John Henry didn't want him. The Cubs need a new Stadium. Wrigley is a mess.

Well...this goes back to what I have said before when I said as fans, we are very much into the ole saying, "what have you done for me lately". Theo was not overrated when they were winning....only when they were unsucessful. Should he not be open to criticism? Of course he should. John Henry, to me, should be more at fault because he IS the owner and he DOES have final say.

As far as a new stadium, it is no worse shape than Fenway Park as I see. There has been talks of a new stadium, but it has been done more by the media than ownership and/or fans...from what I have seen.

Well...this goes back to what I have said before when I said as fans, we are very much into the ole saying, "what have you done for me lately". Theo was not overrated when they were winning....only when they were unsucessful. Should he not be open to criticism? Of course he should. John Henry, to me, should be more at fault because he IS the owner and he DOES have final say.

As far as a new stadium, it is no worse shape than Fenway Park as I see. There has been talks of a new stadium, but it has been done more by the media than ownership and/or fans...from what I have seen.

Fenway was a mess. It's not anymore. I was at Wrigley 3 years ago. Television shows the good side of Wrigley. But the owner of the Cubs won't spend the money, that's the problem. Theo had the luxury of being with a team that had an owner that spent money . John Henry didn't have the final say on Carl Crawford. He left that to Theo.

televisionarchives said:
Fenway was a mess. It's not anymore. I was at Wrigley 3 years ago. Television shows the good side of Wrigley. But the owner of the Cubs won't spend the money, that's the problem. Theo had the luxury of being with a team that had an owner that spent money . John Henry didn't have the final say on Carl Crawford. He left that to Theo.

How can you say he does not have the final say so when he is the owner? His final say so was to leave it up to Theo. That is on John. Believe me, we had our issues down here with Mr. Henry and his sometimes wishy-washy way of how to handle local goverment when he tried to get a stadium for the Marlins.

Do the Yankees think Granderson was a mistake ?
No, but the year he came over, he was terrible.

Crawford will bounce back next year.

I still can't believe John Henry could publicly dump on Crawford when he is on the hook for about another $120 million to him and can't get rid of him without eating half of that.

Epstein made a lot of high stakes gambles. Sure, the J.D. Drew contract was a bad joke, but the rest were reasonable gambles for a big market team, some of which didn't pay off. As I pointed out in another thread, someone at ESPN.com had calculated the market value of first year performance of players who got blockbuster contracts, and Lackey's first season with the Red Sox was worth the $16 million he got paid that year, and the Red Sox can now still hope to get two plus more such years after he recovers from his surgery.

In fairness to Epstein, I thought Dunn was a better deal for the price than was Crawford, and not keeping Garciaparra was good business also.

I still can't believe John Henry could publicly dump on Crawford when he is on the hook for about another $120 million to him and can't get rid of him without eating half of that.

Epstein made a lot of high stakes gambles. Sure, the J.D. Drew contract was a bad joke, but the rest were reasonable gambles for a big market team, some of which didn't pay off. As I pointed out in another thread, someone at ESPN.com had calculated the market value of first year performance of players who got blockbuster contracts, and Lackey's first season with the Red Sox was worth the $16 million he got paid that year, and the Red Sox can now still hope to get two plus more such years after he recovers from his surgery.

In fairness to Epstein, I thought Dunn was a better deal for the price than was Crawford, and not keeping Garciaparra was good business also.

He was being honest but I don't remember if the the other owners were part of that interview . They always try to shut him up before he does that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)