Titanium Satellite ASC1 going to sleep

LocutusOfBorg

I have better things to do
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
For some reason, this device goes to sleep which means the dish won't move when commanded. Turning it off and back on makes it work again. Looks like I have the latest firmware.

The ASC1 does not have a sleep function. It is always listening when placed in operate mode. If powering cycling the ASC1 causes the ASC1 to respond to a motor command, I would check if the sending device is initially issuing the DiSEqC command and if the signal path is correct with no pinches/kinks in the coax, corroded fittings, failing switches/splitters, and proper voltage levels. Deaf DiSEqC slaves are usually due to insufficient amplitude or missing 22KHz/DiSEqC signals. Power cycling the ASC1 will interrupt the satellite signal presented to the attached tuner and most tuner devices will reissue switch and motor commands to re-establish a signal path when it is interrupted.

A few months ago I experienced a similar problem with intermittent controller communication. It stumped me until I discovered that the coax had been kinked when I fished cables behind the test bench. Replaced the coax jumper between the receiver and the controller and the system started working again.

What tuner is connected to the ASC1? A STB, PCIE/USB tuner?
Do you have a meter or scope to verify the device is issuing 22/KHz DiSEqC commands?
Are there any splitters or switches (22KHz or DiSEqC) inline between the tuner and the ASC1? If so, does the problem occur if removed?
Does this happen on both vertical and horizontal transponders or only when tuned to one polarity? If one polarity, which polarity?

The ASC1 does not have a sleep function. It is always listening when placed in operate mode. If powering cycling the ASC1 causes the ASC1 to respond to a motor command, I would check if the sending device is initially issuing the DiSEqC command and if the signal path is correct with no pinches/kinks in the coax, corroded fittings, failing switches/splitters, and proper voltage levels. Deaf DiSEqC slaves are usually due to insufficient amplitude or missing 22KHz/DiSEqC signals. Power cycling the ASC1 will interrupt the satellite signal presented to the attached tuner and most tuner devices will reissue switch and motor commands to re-establish a signal path when it is interrupted.

A few months ago I experienced a similar problem with intermittent controller communication. It stumped me until I discovered that the coax had been kinked when I fished cables behind the test bench. Replaced the coax jumper between the receiver and the controller and the system started working again.

What tuner is connected to the ASC1? A STB, PCIE/USB tuner?
Do you have a meter or scope to verify the device is issuing 22/KHz DiSEqC commands?
Are there any splitters or switches (22KHz or DiSEqC) inline between the tuner and the ASC1? If so, does the problem occur if removed?
Does this happen on both vertical and horizontal transponders or only when tuned to one polarity? If one polarity, which polarity?

It's a TBS6922SE - the latest Linux firmware is being used. I don't have anything to check what commands are being sent, if any. There are no switches or splitters. I don't know if it affects both polarities but I'll try to remember to check next time it happens. Also, the cable run between the ASC1 and the TBS6922SE is less than 20 feet and I don't see an issue with the cables or connectors.

PCIE cards are notorious for LNB control and DiSEqC issues as they often present the user with options for incompatible settings and often output low amplitude 22KHz/DiSEqC commands. Too bad you do not have a way to confirm the card operation. Try returning the DiSEqC user settings to the default if they have been previously adjusted. Might also try changing the repeat settings and share what parameters the software presents.

What software is used for switch and motor control? Do you have a STB to compare operation? Try swapping the tuner to controller cable.

It happened again and I noted that I couldn't move the dish with the ASC-1 front panel controls until I power reset the ASC-1.

What PC software is used for switch and motor control?

Did you reset the DiSEqC user settings to the software defaults? Try changing the repeat settings to different values? What 22KHz/DiSEqC command parameters does the software provide?

Do you have a STB to swap and compare operation?

Reactions: KE4EST
Check the firmware version again to make sure it is the latest. This sounds like a glitch that was discovered and fixed with a late firmware update. The problem was if you used the power button on the unit or the remote to turn it off then the other buttons would not function when you turned it back on. You would need to power cycle the unit (switch on the back) to get the buttons on the front panel or remote to function again. However when the unit would not respond to the manual buttons it would still respond to DiSEqC calls.

Check the firmware version again to make sure it is the latest. This sounds like a glitch that was discovered and fixed with a late firmware update. The problem was if you used the power button on the unit or the remote to turn it off then the other buttons would not function when you turned it back on. You would need to power cycle the unit (switch on the back) to get the buttons on the front panel or remote to function again. However when the unit would not respond to the manual buttons it would still respond to DiSEqC calls.

The firmware is the latest.

What PC software is used for switch and motor control?

Did you reset the DiSEqC user settings to the software defaults? Try changing the repeat settings to different values? What 22KHz/DiSEqC command parameters does the software provide?

Do you have a STB to swap and compare operation?

I do have a STB to try. But why should I go to it when the ASC1 won't move the dish when using the ASC1 front panel controls? Since the ASC1 front panel controls won't move the dish then it doesn't strike me as a computer software (Kaffeine) issue. I guess I could try a factory reset again on the ASC1 and see if that corrects the problem.

Because, what if the software, tuner card, or combo of both are throwing trashy DiSEqC commands or trash all together; thus causing the ASC1 to get confused.
....or
It could also be that one of the above or combo is sending incomplete packets or throwing packets too fast for some reason. This could cause the MCU to get confused and lock up.

The most basic test would be to swap the STB in place of the tuner card / Kaffeine to see if the problem continues. If so, we focus on the ASC1 and connections. If not, we focus on the tuner and software.

Last edited:
I'm still working on this. I tried my Azbox Ultra but it kept setting the east/west limits on its own so I couldn't move the dish - even after a factory reset. So, I'm trying the Azbox Elite now. It was interesting that while scanning a satellite with the Elite, the east limit kept getting set without my help. I guess I have a bunch of junk STB's and PCIe card. I should've bought a new receiver instead of spending $800 on the XR-3 and module. But, from what I've read in these forums, none of the available STB's and PCI(e) cards are without problems.

I noticed that the Elite was setting east/west limits, also, without any action from me. It's hard to believe that all these receivers are causing problems. But, I'm going to try a different cable between the receiver and the ASC1 even though the cable has no obvious physical problems. So far, I've tried 3 different receivers, software re-installs for the PCIe card, and factory resets on the STB's. I'm considering re-installing the Gbox, also.

Feel free to send the ASC! in for bench testing. We have never observed the "sleep" issue that you that you are experiencing, and would be happy to test. Have dozens of STBs, cards and software to test, but no Linux and Kaffeine. Unfortunately, not many use that solution, so not much documentation or discussion on the NA satellite forums.

Yes, It is a known issue that the AZboxes incorrectly issue commands to set limits on motors and controllers. Nothing unique to the ASC1.

As mentioned in previous posts, check the Kaffeine software DiSEqC control interface settings. I understand that Kaffeine has presented users set-up and configuration challenges. Have you checked with a Kaffeine user group for input on the DiSEqC command structure and settings?

Reactions: bigg t and KE4EST
Feel free to send the ASC! in for bench testing. We have never observed the "sleep" issue that you that you are experiencing, and would be happy to test. Have dozens of STBs, cards and software to test, but no Linux and Kaffeine. Unfortunately, not many use that solution, so not much documentation or discussion on the NA satellite forums.

Yes, It is a known issue that the AZboxes incorrectly issue commands to set limits on motors and controllers. Nothing unique to the ASC1.

As mentioned in previous posts, check the Kaffeine software DiSEqC control interface settings. I understand that Kaffeine has presented users set-up and configuration challenges. Have you checked with a Kaffeine user group for input on the DiSEqC command structure and settings?

I'm not going to pay to send it back and I'm not going to spend a lot of time or money to resolve this issue. I can't keep buying stuff to try to eliminate a problem that I feel should never happen. So, I'm just going to live with what I have. Might as well close the thread.

Simple troubleshooting is needed if you are interested in resolving. Otherwise, yes this is a useless thread...

Try using the AZbox STBs without performing a blindscan. The AZboxes only set the software limit in the blindscan mode. Seems the problem was finally fixed with the ME and miniME models.

I don't know what's wrong with my ASC1. I sent it in to be checked out and they found nothing wrong. But, I'm continuing to have problems with moving the dish and now the serial port no longer works. I had much less trouble using a Gbox so that's what I'm going to put back in and put my ASC1 up for sale at ebay.

Tested the RMA unit for multiple days and was unable to duplicate the reported "sleep" issue. As a courtesy, we replaced the main PCB in case there was a problem that wasn't caught during testing. I placed the original PCB on the bench and it has been operating without error.

Loaded latest firmware and tested all functions and ports (including overnight) prior to shipping and covered the return shipping cost. Not sure what to say... :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)