Titanium Satellite ASC1 sat positions

LocutusOfBorg

I have better things to do
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
Why does the ASC1 show satellite position numbers when the file that I uploaded to it did not have any satellite positions set? Also, I noticed that if you try to manually change the satellite position it scrolls through the satellite names also.

EDIT: Never mind. I figured it out. I had to edit the file and reorder the sats. But now, I have to disconnect the wires to the ASC so that I can bring it in to where my desktop is. If I had a much longer serial port cable I wouldn't have to do that. The long serial port cable I do have won't communicate with the ASC1 but it works with other RS232 devices (including the HF rig). Anyway, it's too bad that it's risky to use a USB serial port cable - otherwise I'd take the laptop in there. But, my FTDI USB serial port cable should work but I'm not going to take the chance.

Recommendation for a longer serial port cable? About 25 feet?

While I'm being "difficult", the power cord is too short. I do have a longer one from my "collection".

Last edited:
Why is it risky to use a usb serial cable ?

From the ASC1 manual:
We do not recommend using generic USB to Serial
RS-232 convertors as they may corrupt and disable the ASC1.

I'm sure that my FTDI cable is genuine since it works in Windows 10 while my PL2303 does not and is obviously a "knock off". Anyway, it's best not to risk it. I won't be able to get an appropriate cable or null modem adapter until Monday, if any one around here has what I need. I'll probably have to order what I need - oh the joys of living in a small town.

And I forgot to mention that I can't get the editing software to work in Windows 10 due to a missing qt5serialport.dll file. A search shows it's not installed. Why isn't this stuff installed with the OS? I tried installing Qt5 but it still doesn't get it working. There was some kind of redistributable software that was suppose to fix the problem but no-go on that also. I got the software working in Windows 7 though.

The USB TO RS-232 convertor currently shipped with the ASC1 is genuine and will not corrupt the data transfers.

qt5serislport.dll was distributed with my desktop Windows 10 OS, but was not installed on one of the laptops. Not sure why some builds don't include. One of those Microsoft mysteries...

The USB TO RS-232 convertor currently shipped with the ASC1 is genuine and will not corrupt the data transfers.

qt5serislport.dll was distributed with my desktop Windows 10 OS, but was not installed on one of the laptops. Not sure why some builds don't include. One of those Microsoft mysteries...

I'd tell you what I think of Windows 10 but I might get banned from here. I have other software that doesn't run properly on 10 also - N1MM+ software.

Out of curiosity what does not work properly with N1MM?

It's strange. It'll work for a few start ups and then it loses the config. It's really irritating having to reconfig everything. I was told that N1MM+ needs to be installed as Administrator on Win10 and I did that and it still loses the config. So I gave up and reinstalled Win7 and I didn't have to install N1MM+ as admin and it's been working OK every since. And I still haven't got the ASC1 editing software to run in Win10. By the way, the manual for the ASC1 has a filename of ACS1 instead of ASC1 (including the zip file).

I was wondering why the ASC1 is supplying LNB power instead of the receiver. It doesn't look like the LNB power from the ASC1 can be disabled.

Correct. The ASC1 can be set with 4 ways to power a LNB.

Mirror the STB with H:18Vdc/V:13Vdc
Reverse V:18Vdc/H:13Vdc
Fixed 18Vdc
Fixed 13Vdc.

What is the reason to LNB loop-through power from the STB?

Why would I need the ASC1 to provide LNBF power when I can get it from the STB? Does mirroring the STB mean that the ASC1 won't be supplying power to the LNBF when the STB is turned off?

The ASC1 could be used as a stand alone controller of an actuator/servo motor/LNB or to be paired with a receiver for automatic function. The ASC1 is designed to replace the functions of either a legacy IRD or translating a DVBS /S2 STB voltage and DiSEqC 1.2 commands for automatic control. An example: the ASC1 LNBs powered with the 18Vdc that they require and the receiver controls and sorts polarity tps / services either by signaling a voltage switch or a servo.

There is no LNB Power OFF setting on the ASC1 as this would prevent the passing of 22KHz/DiSEqC commands.

The ASC1 could be used as a stand alone controller of an actuator/servo motor/LNB or to be paired with a receiver for automatic function. The ASC1 is designed to replace the functions of either a legacy IRD or translating a DVBS /S2 STB voltage and DiSEqC 1.2 commands for automatic control. An example: the ASC1 LNBs powered with the 18Vdc that they require and the receiver controls and sorts polarity tps / services either by signaling a voltage switch or a servo.

There is no LNB Power OFF setting on the ASC1 as this would prevent the passing of 22KHz/DiSEqC commands.

Alright. I'll just have to remember to power off the ASC1 before connecting/disconnecting the LNBF cable. I don't want to risk "blowing up" an LNBF (especially since I don't have a spare). Anyway, the ASC1 seems to be working OK.

I have an ASC1 and it has worked flawlessly for years using a pc dvb card (tbs6982) and fta. I have the opportunity to get a motorola dsr 6000. It does not power the lnb. I would love to be able to add it to my current setup and get the best of both worlds.

1 Does the ASC1 power lnb entirely by itself?
2 Does anyone know how to (if possible) connect the tbs6982 and dsr 6000 at the same time so that the lnb gets powered when needed and signal gets back to the dsr 6000 and not damage it?

1. Yes, the ASC1 provides LNB power either in fixed voltage or polarity 13/18Vdc switching.

2. Use a 3Ghz 2x1 all port power passing splitter on the ASC1 Receiver port and only power one tuner at a time. Powering both at the same time will not damage anything, but if one of the tuners is on a horizontal transponder, the polarity would not be able to be switched between horizontal and vertical with the other tuner.

Might be easier to use a 2 output LNBF with one LNBF output connected to the ASC1/PCI card and the other port directly connected to the IRD. This way both tuners would have polarity control for the target satellite and both could be powered on without polarity conflicts.

1. Yes, the ASC1 provides LNB power either in fixed voltage or polarity 13/18Vdc switching.

2. Use a 3Ghz 2x1 all port power passing splitter on the ASC1 Receiver port and only power one tuner at a time. Powering both at the same time will not damage anything, but if one of the tuners is on a horizontal transponder, the polarity would not be able to be switched between horizontal and vertical with the other tuner.

Might be easier to use a 2 output LNBF with one LNBF output connected to the ASC1/PCI card and the other port directly connected to the IRD. This way both tuners would have polarity control for the target satellite and both could be powered on without polarity conflicts.
So if understand, get a dual output lnb, run another coax from dish to house and let the pc card power the lnb as it currently does. The 2nd coax run to the dsr6000 directly and 2nd output on lnb. The dsr 6000 does not power lnb so would 2nd output have power because pc card powers lnb output 1? If drs 6000 has no power to lnb, the does it not have polarity control either? If I set pc card to sat/transponder/SR , then I should be able to tune it on dsr 6000?

To connect yo a dual output LNBF, each tuner would be need to be powered and set for voltage polarity control of the dedicated LNBF port.

Been a while since I have worked with a DSR6000. That model may only have a fixed LNB voltage and not support voltage polarity switching. If that is the case, use a single polarity LNBF and slave the DSR6000 to the PC card using a 3ghz splitter and dc block the DSR6000.

The PC card will select the satellite and the polarity. The PC card transponder selection only sets the polarity for the DSR6000 to tune.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)