AZBOX New firmware version 0.9.5402 for AzBox Elite, Ultra, Premium and Premium Plus models

pwrsurge

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 7, 2007
Canada
We have just released firmware version 0.9.5402 for Elite HD, Premium HD, Ultra HD and Premium HD Plus models.

It features the following improvements since 0.9.5400:

- YOUTUBE FIXED! :D
- Atlantic satellites and transponders updated
- European satellites updated

If you already have installed 0.9.5400, you may update to this new version simply by selecting Firmware upgrade <- Internet -> in System information. You may also update manually by downloading the firmware file from http://fw.azbox.ca using your computer and saving the new firmware version on the root level folder of your USB drive named as "patch.bin" and rebooting your AzBox with the drive plugged in.

Hope you all love this new firmware and please do post some feedback of how it's working out for you.

Best regards,

PwrSurge
AzBox Canada

Please note that although most Youtube videos work fine, certain specific ones will cause the application to lockup. When this happens, the only way to start using the unit again is to reboot the AzBox by pressing the power button on the remote control and selecting "reboot". We are aware of this and are working in collaboration with Opensat in resolving this issue with a future firmware update.

Best regards,

PwrSurge
AzBox Canada

Last edited:
We have just released firmware version 0.9.5402 for Elite HD, Premium HD, Ultra HD and Premium HD Plus models.

It features the following improvements since 0.9.5400:

- YOUTUBE FIXED! :D
- Atlantic satellites and transponders updated
- European satellites updated

If you already have installed 0.9.5400, you may update to this new version simply by selecting Firmware upgrade <- Internet -> in System information. You may also update manually by downloading the firmware file from http://fw.azbox.ca using your computer and saving the new firmware version on the root level folder of your USB drive named as "patch.bin" and rebooting your AzBox with the drive plugged in.

Hope you all love this new firmware and please do post some feedback of how it's working out for you.

Best regards,

PwrSurge
AzBox Canada

Great ugrade PwrSurge, You Tube working well and seems like many of their their Videos are now in HD. Nice new AzBox HD 1080p Logo on Bootup. Boy if they could ever address the Slow Blindscan and DisEqC 1.2 Motor Lockup issues we would have a wonderful AzBox Satellite Receiver. Also was wondering if anyone can tell me why I had trouble loading the new FW on my new Fat 32 Formatted 4.0 GB Sony Microvault USB 2.0 USB Stick, yet when I loaded the new FW onto my 2.0GHz Sandisk Cruser Stick I had no problems at all?

Last edited:
Great ugrade PwrSurge, You Tube working well and seems like many of their their Videos are now in HD. Nice new AzBox HD 1080p Logo on Bootup. Boy if they could ever address the Slow Blindscan and DisEqC 1.2 Motor Lockup issues we would have a wonderful AzBox Satellite Receiver. Also was wondering if anyone can tell me why I had trouble loading the new FW on my new Fat 32 Formatted 4.0 GB Sony Microvault USB 2.0 USB Stick, yet when I loaded the new FW onto my 2.0GHz Sandisk Cruser Stick I had no problems at all?

Sometimes, AzBox has issues reading larger capacity USB memory sticks when doing firmware updates. It is best to use a 1.0GB or lower stick although it should work with some 2.0GB sticks as well. An alternative to using a USB memory stick is to select Firmware upgrade <-- Internet --> with the receiver connected to the Internet and it will update itself automatically.

Blindscan should not be so slow if you increase the minimum SR rate in Blindscan parameters from 1000 to 1500 or even 2000. This is assuming you are not looking for low SR rate transponders of course. With the updated satellite list, we also deleted a lot of feed and DCII transponders in order to make satellite scans faster. However, you may do this yourself with an existing list for satellites often used for wild feeds such as 91W for example where you can delete all transponders except 12010 which is always active. Just make sure to ALWAYS leave AT LEAST 1 transponder on each satellite as the list will become corrupted if you don't do so.

Regards,

PwrSurge
AzBox Canada

Last edited:
tried updating from the web site showed me the available versions , pressed 0.9.5402 started to download then a message always comes up
Error
failed to download.
used
hxxp://fw.azbox.ca in the system firmware upgrade by internet.
xx = tt

Hi PwrSurge !

My friends have tested version 5400 and 5402 and found that the summaries are not working.

Example, this image is from 5309, is broken (incomplete), old error:
tela_erro.png

But in 5400 and 5402 is empty.

tnks.

Can i use this Firmware in Europe ?
Also my channels list got often corrupted and I need to reload with ACC.
Will my channels list still be corrupted by this new firmware ?

Could it be that you have some installed plugins that take up space, so when downloading, the Azbox runs out of storage?

No plugins here on this azbox.
Even reformatted application area when installing the firmware from opensat 0.9.5310.
That firmware went fine but not the one from Canada.
maybe they might be having a problem with their download site or something.

No plugins here on this azbox.
Even reformatted application area when installing the firmware from opensat 0.9.5310.
That firmware went fine but not the one from Canada.
maybe they might be having a problem with their download site or something.

We are keeping a close eye on our firmware server right now as we currently have anywhere from 50 to 100 people simultaneously downloading this firmware since yesterday. :eek: So far, our server is holding up nicely thanks to recent bandwidth upgrades. You may want to try again but if you continue experiencing issues, try downloading the update using your computer instead and save it as patch.bin on a USB stick.

Regards,

PwrSurge
AzBox Canada

Ok, I did a few things which should hopefully speed up downloads. However, please be patient as there's currently about 75 people downloading right now so our bandwidth is near saturated :eek:

Regards,

PwrSurge

It took almost an hour to download. It was going faster on the AZBox. But no matter how you do it, I'm very pleased with this new FW update. I've put the unit through several events that would have frozen it before. I've used the media player and youtube, back to TV and then photo viewer back to TV, no freezeups like before and Youtube works very well :).

Ok, I did a few things which should hopefully speed up downloads. However, please be patient as there's currently about 75 people downloading right now so our bandwidth is near saturated :eek:

Regards,

PwrSurge

Thanks for looking into this.
Last night it took over an hour and I finally quit after it was still not finished downloading.
This morning it took less then 2 minutes to download the file.
Quite an improvement! :)

Update:
Since it took just a couple of minutes to download the firmware to the pc I once again attempted to use the Azbox and download the firmware from the website posted by PwrSurge earlier.

Yesterday it would not download it properly from the internet and I had reformatted the Azbox more than once just in case it was a problem on my end.

Today it took only a few minutes to download using the Azbox and install properly.
doing it this way I did not have to change any of my settings.
Thanks for fixing this issue.

I did notice yesterday that my hardware acceleration was on and that may have been from the reformatting process as I do not remember ever turning on that feature, so make sure it is off before upgrading the firmware just in case this causes a problem.

I checked out Galaxy 16 and saw that the lower SR Televisa channels came in much quicker. eScapes still has a jerky motion to the picture when it moves on the screen but this may be more of a hardware related issue and not a software issue.
(too bad as I have seen other lower quality receivers show this channel with the proper movement).

I noticed the GDMX channels came in much quicker and you no longer hear the tone form the color bars and wait for the picture to come in. Now you see the picture right away!
Same with the CWD channels on Galaxy 19.

Since my Azbox is slaved and I have my own sat/channel list in it I also have a spare sat listed at Galaxy 19 with only 1 fake TP in it, so I decided to do a blind-scan of the vertical polarity.
2 minutes and 55 seconds from start to finish with the channels appearing on the screen to scan in one polarity on Galaxy 19.

The channels changing using the remote is much more responsive and quicker then before. So fast that when changing from one freq on galaxy 19 to another the picture for a split second actually has a digital breakup before returning to normal. This happens in a split second and I have seen this on Galaxy 16 also.
It is not a problem, just reporting what I saw. I'd rather have this then have the slower response in changing the channels.

Overall, I say this is a nice firmware upgrade and much better then the others from 0.9.5309 and earlier.

Now if there was a way to fix the eScapes channel so it comes in properly that would be fantastic!
(It is better than other earlier firmwares but still not where it should be).

Thanks for the time and effort to keep improving the Azbox !

v 0.9.5402 downloaded and installed ok
Channel zapping definately seems much quicker than v0.9.5309 and I like the new boot logo, however Youtube still not working on my Azbox Ultra - just brings up a series of blank boxes which never finish loading, I have a reasonably fast internet connection and fortunately Youtube is available from my Bravia TV.

For those that are interested, there are some interesting functions that are available in the Priority Manager plugin. Use the "Read Me" and "View Settings" buttons to see what are the defaults and what can be done.

For example, you can set up a Swap File to help CPU and memory. The default setting is off (0), to turn it on (1), use the Toggle Swap File (and then re-boot to have it take effect). The default settings for the Swap File are for an internal HDD (SWAPDEVICE=/DATA/hdb1) and a SWAPSIZE=204800 bytes. (NOTE: You can edit the device and swap file size by downloading to your computer (ftp) the file PriorityManagerSettings.txt found in /DISK2/etc, making the necessary changes and the ftp back to the Azbox.)

For those that are interested, there are some interesting functions that are available in the Priority Manager plugin. Use the "Read Me" and "View Settings" buttons to see what are the defaults and what can be done.

For example, you can set up a Swap File to help CPU and memory. The default setting is off (0), to turn it on (1), use the Toggle Swap File (and then re-boot to have it take effect). The default settings for the Swap File are for an internal HDD (SWAPDEVICE=/DATA/hdb1) and a SWAPSIZE=204800 bytes. (NOTE: You can edit the device and swap file size by downloading to your computer (ftp) the file PriorityManagerSettings.txt found in /DISK2/etc, making the necessary changes and the ftp back to the Azbox.)

Yes, enabling the swap file will enhance performance even more. However, as you noted, an internal or external properly installed hard disk MUST be connected at all times when using this feature which is why it is not enabled by default.

Regards,

PwrSurge

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 8, Members: 0, Guests: 8)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)