Asking for a friend

fishman316

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
michigan
Since I am a former dish customer, a friend was asking me about dish. He said he had contacted dish about getting two hopper duos. They said you can only have one hopper per account. They suggested a hopper 3 and 4k joey for $100 upgrade fee. He doesnt need 16 tuners but thinks 2 tuners is too little. Thought 4 tuners(2 duos) would be perfect for a 2 room setup. Is this something new with the one hopper per account? I use to have two hopper 2s with no Joeys when I had dish. Thanks for any info

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Since I am a former dish customer, a friend was asking me about dish. He said he had contacted dish about getting two hopper duos. They said you can only have one hopper per account. They suggested a hopper 3 and 4k joey for $100 upgrade fee. He doesnt need 16 tuners but thinks 2 tuners is too little. Thought 4 tuners(2 duos) would be perfect for a 2 room setup. Is this something new with the one hopper per account? I use to have two hopper 2s with no Joeys when I had dish. Thanks for any info

They only allow one Hopper Duo per account. You can have two Hoppers of any other model.

Reactions: charlesrshell
They only allow one Hopper Duo per account. You can have two Hoppers of any other model.
Thanks. So he could have a hopper 3 and a hopper 2? I don't think he wants all that but just curious. Is there a reason for not allowing more then one hopper duo or is it just because they can? Does the upgrade fee sound right? I just know that all the years I had dish I never paid any upgrade fees.

Thanks. So he could have a hopper 3 and a hopper 2? I don't think he wants all that but just curious. Is there a reason for not allowing more then one hopper duo or is it just because they can? Does the upgrade fee sound right? I just know that all the years I had dish I never paid any upgrade fees.

A Hopper 3 and a Hopper 2 together on the same account is not allowed. Two Hopper 3's are but I think the only ones you can mix is a Hopper 1 and a Hopper 2. We've never mixed them and when a customer wants two Hoppers it's usually two Hopper 2's or two Hopper 3's.

I don't know why they make the rules that they make but I'm sure they have a reason. :)

Yes, the upgrade fee sounds right for a Hopper 3. It's usually anywhere from $50 to $150 depending on the account. A Hopper 2 upgrade would probably be free, maybe even a two Hopper 2 upgrade.

A Hopper 3 and a Hopper 2 together on the same account is not allowed. Two Hopper 3's are but I think the only ones you can mix is a Hopper 1 and a Hopper 2. We've never mixed them and when a customer wants two Hoppers it's usually two Hopper 2's or two Hopper 3's.

I don't know why they make the rules that they make but I'm sure they have a reason. :)

Yes, the upgrade fee sounds right for a Hopper 3. It's usually anywhere from $50 to $150 depending on the account. A Hopper 2 upgrade would probably be free, maybe even a two Hopper 2 upgrade.

Other than cost, I don’t understand where the tuner limitation comes into play. If you have 5 tuners and only use 2-3 or if you have 16 tuners and only use 2-3, it seems the same to me. Like I said, other than the cost of different models, tuners are use them or not type things.

I agree. I texted him all this info. I guess he was concerned about if one receiver went bad then still having tv on the other. Also the rep never mentioned about the other options. He asked about 2 hopper duos. They said no go but we can give you a hopper 3 with a 4k Joey. Then at the end after they did credit check and setup install date, the rep says "there will be just a one time upgrade fee of $100".
Other than cost, I don’t understand where the tuner limitation comes into play. If you have 5 tuners and only use 2-3 or if you have 16 tuners and only use 2-3, it seems the same to me. Like I said, other than the cost of different models, tuners are use them or not type things.

The H3 uses Hybrid band stacking technology, but the H1 and H2 use an older band stacking technology and the two are not compatible, so it is a more difficult install if it is even possible.

Reactions: TheKrell
Rereading some of this thread, if he’s concerned about one going out and the other still doing everything just like the other...well, the Joey depends on the Hopper. Joey is not a stand-alone device. If the Hopper goes caput, the Joey will not receive like the Hopper. Others can correct me if wrong, but if the Hopper’s out, then the Joey’s out.

Rereading some of this thread, if he’s concerned about one going out and the other still doing everything just like the other...well, the Joey depends on the Hopper. Joey is not a stand-alone device. If the Hopper goes caput, the Joey will not receive like the Hopper. Others can correct me if wrong, but if the Hopper’s out, then the Joey’s out.

No correction necessary, when the Hopper's not working then the Joey's not working. :)

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts