Aspect Ratio Changes During Playback?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

MrDRC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 29, 2004
Way South via the Northern Lands
Has anyone experienced aspect ratio changes during playback of on-demand content? I've recently noticed it but haven't been able to find the reproducible pattern. When I'm watching some on-demand stuff it sometimes flips the aspect ratio to what looks like a zoom or partial zoom then switches back to original. Kind of odd. Am I the only one seeing this?

Has anyone experienced aspect ratio changes during playback of on-demand content? I've recently noticed it but haven't been able to find the reproducible pattern. When I'm watching some on-demand stuff it sometimes flips the aspect ratio to what looks like a zoom or partial zoom then switches back to original. Kind of odd. Am I the only one seeing this?

It’s due to the internet connection. When the speed isn’t fast enough to support HD streaming this happens. Once it buffers enough or the speed issue resolves, it bounces back to the HD picture. I have 300MB speed and it’s been happening the last week. I think the issue is on Dish’s side, not mine. When I run speed tests when it’s happening my speed is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: TheKrell and MrDRC
It’s due to the internet connection. When the speed isn’t fast enough to support HD streaming this happens. Once it buffers enough or the speed issue resolves, it bounces back to the HD picture. I have 300MB speed and it’s been happening the last week. I think the issue is on Dish’s side, not mine. When I run speed tests when it’s happening my speed is fine.

I've had a new ISP since last August (Fiber Through the Air Technology, FTTA). This aspect-ratio-flipping didn't start for me until the last month or so (so, early 2021). My speed tests have shown no network difference between late 2020 and now, early 2021.

It happens to me on all channels, not just On Demand. But it only happens when viewing via Dish Anywhere. (In other words, only inside a Web browser, not when I watch the TV directly.)

I use DISHAny from 2 Windows notebook computers on my home network, and this flipping happens on both of them, around the same times. It doesn't seem related to buffering, because it happens throughout the program, not just at the start. It happens with both live viewing and DVR playback. It's very annoying.

My internet speed is pathetic compared to you guys. Getting it from a cell tower. only 30-45 mbps. Enough for a HD stream. No issues at all. Through Hopper 3, viewing on tv connected to Joey 2. The only annoyance I have with streaming is slow forward feature during commercials if there are any.

Reactions: TheKrell
I've had a new ISP since last August (Fiber Through the Air Technology, FTTA). This aspect-ratio-flipping didn't start for me until the last month or so (so, early 2021). My speed tests have shown no network difference between late 2020 and now, early 2021.

It happens to me on all channels, not just On Demand. But it only happens when viewing via Dish Anywhere. (In other words, only inside a Web browser, not when I watch the TV directly.)

I use DISHAny from 2 Windows notebook computers on my home network, and this flipping happens on both of them, around the same times. It doesn't seem related to buffering, because it happens throughout the program, not just at the start. It happens with both live viewing and DVR playback. It's very annoying.

Happens in spurts for me. I think it’s on Dish’s side. Perhaps they don’t have enough capacity for the folks streaming on demand. No idea, just how I rationalize it in my head.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts