ASU's AD Blasts DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

inazsully

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Sun City West, AZ
In this mornings Arizona Republic ASU Athletic Director Steve Patterson threw a couple of haymakers at DirecTV. Patterson likened the giant television provider to the "big fat guy (that) waddles up" and refuses to pay full price for a hamburger. Patterson also accused DirecTV of barginning in bad faith, saying it's "disgustingly low-ball offer" to distribute Pac-12 Networks was a conspired effort to end individual sports networks. It won't give the Pac-12 the same deal it negotiated with the Big Ten because the Big Ten fans are more collegial and loyal, while the multitude of West Coast transplants are reticent to give up DirecTV's assortment of NFL products.

Really?

How is it that DirecTV has made carriage arrangements with all those other RSNs and athletic conferences but won't make a similar deal with Pac12N? I think the AD is blowing smoke; the Big10 deal includes different treatment for subs based on residing in the Conference's 'footprint.' There aren't any serious negotiations going on- we'll just have to stream the games as always.

People usually think their item for sale is worth more than it really is. Some just tend to get more bent out of shape when they find out than others.

You can certainly believe what you want but I think the 9-10 million Pac-12 fans just in Pac-12 country alone think negotiations should be serious. Now I realize that "D" only has a share of those subs but that's still a lot of house holds. I expect the advertisers paying for space during those games kind of would like "D" on board. Usually it's been "E" dragging their feet, especially regarding sports, not to mention Disney for the past couple of years and AMC for awhile last year. Seems kind of a strange position for "D" the self proclaimed "Sports Leader" to take.

I don't think it's a strange position. We're in a rapidly escalating situation where everyone with either a team or a conference thinks their programs are worth a lot of money. It's getting completely out of hand. What's next, an individual negotation with every professional or college team? It's just greed......

I don't think it's a strange position. We're in a rapidly escalating situation where everyone with either a team or a conference thinks their programs are worth a lot of money. It's getting completely out of hand. What's next, an individual negotation with every professional or college team? It's just greed......

Can't wait till the current conferences that have thier own set ups come up for renewal. :eek:

In this mornings Arizona Republic ASU Athletic Director Steve Patterson threw a couple of haymakers at DirecTV. Patterson likened the giant television provider to the "big fat guy (that) waddles up" and refuses to pay full price for a hamburger. Patterson also accused DirecTV of barginning in bad faith, saying it's "disgustingly low-ball offer" to distribute Pac-12 Networks was a conspired effort to end individual sports networks. It won't give the Pac-12 the same deal it negotiated with the Big Ten because the Big Ten fans are more collegial and loyal, while the multitude of West Coast transplants are reticent to give up DirecTV's assortment of NFL products.
Perhaps this AD should realize that the Big Ten is a far more valuable conference in the television sports market than compared to the Pac 12...
First, the Big Ten has that all important East Coast cities as part of it's primary market. The Pac 12 gets most of it's market share from west of the Rocky Mountains. In other words, much fewer tv households. By the time many Pac 12 games start, those on the east coast have already gone to bed or are very close to it.
That means fewer viewers which translates to lower value.

If the PAC12 wants to be seen by the most viewers, they should pay DirecTV for carriage.
Let the comments begin. :eek:
I agree with you completely, but I feel that way about every channel including NBC,CBS,FOX,and ABC. Let them make their money from the advertisers and they should pay or at least make the broadcast free to the providers. After all, if it weren't for Dish and DirecTV and the cable companies how many TV's would not get the advertisers message. As far as the east Coast West Coast thing, think about this. When the West Coast games are getting started the East Coast games are done. So where do all those East Coast football junkies turn? To the West Coast games. It's a win win for the providers and the advertisers. Get the Pac-12 Network on the biggest Sat. provider. It's a no brainer.

If the PAC12 wants to be seen by the most viewers, they should pay DirecTV for carriage.
Let the comments begin. :eek:

Their goal isn't to be seen by the most viewers. Their goal is to make the most money possible for their conference. Yes more viewers would help them make more money but they sure as hell aren't going to pay to be on a provider when all the other providers are paying them.

What you are saying could be applied to every channel. What is Directv going to do with all this money once all their customers and all the channels they carry both start writing them a check every month? If they could work out that deal they would be the most profitable company ever to exist.

While were at it I think gas stations should start paying me to fill up at their stations.

Perhaps this AD should realize that the Big Ten is a far more valuable conference in the television sports market than compared to the Pac 12...
First, the Big Ten has that all important East Coast cities as part of it's primary market. The Pac 12 gets most of it's market share from west of the Rocky Mountains. In other words, much fewer tv households. By the time many Pac 12 games start, those on the east coast have already gone to bed or are very close to it.
That means fewer viewers which translates to lower value.

"Much fewer tv households???" You realize that 4 of the top 15 (including numbers 2 & 6) tv markets are in PAC12 cities, whereas only 3 are in BigTen areas. I did not include Rutgers and Maryland, but let's be honest, nobody cares about Rutgers in NYC right now, why will that change? You think that all the important East Coast cities care about the Big Ten? Most of those cities could care less about college football (football is the money maker, the other sports are along for the ride).

I would agree that the Big Ten has a wider base simply because of the large number of people (I'm one of them) that have moved away from the Midwest.

In my mind, the PAC12 botched this up in the beginning when dealing with DTV, but both sides have now let this collapse to the point where nothing looks likely and us PAC12 and DTV fans are left on the outside looking in.

The big difference between the Big10 Network and Pac12 is very simple

BTN is one station with alt channels for football (that are part time 11-12 Saturdays a year)
PAC12 is 7 regional feeds.....most of the time its the same thing

PAC12 wants D* to carry all 7 feeds. Somehow they got a deal with dish to carry the other feeds part time....Directv should agree to do it that way too (if Pac12 lets them)

I've made the same statement when it comes to locals having carriage discussions with DirecTV.

If DirecTV were paid to carry channels then our rates could be much lower!

But, then the channel would want to negotiate the lowest rate possible.

I've made the same statement when it comes to locals having carriage discussions with DirecTV.

If DirecTV were paid to carry channels then our rates could be much lower!

But, then the channel would want to negotiate the lowest rate possible.

Locals are available for free OTA so that is a little different. Even so cable providers are selling local channels to us so why shouldn't the people who created that content get some of the money? Cable channels aren't available for free and don't get near as much advertising money as the networks. It's never gonna happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)