AT-9 Dish found: Thinking I can get HD @ the tailgate, is this correct?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

neomoon

Original poster
Aug 29, 2008
I found this dish on the side of the road not to long ago

After some research I discovered the lnb only tuned 99,101,103 and that it was often sold with a sidecar lnb's that picked up 110 & 119.

I have an extra HR21 and wanted to add this to our tailgate, I just have three questions:
1. With my single LNB can I pick up the HD channels listed here and here
2. If I can't get HD programming will I at least be able to get SD channels via the 101 (listed here)
3. What are the advantages of me upgrading to a diff sat that picks up 110 & 119?

I'm new to all of this so I'm still trying to learn what Ku/Ka is and how it relates to the satellites and the Mpeg-2 & Mpeg-4 versions of channels.

Thanks guys

1. yes
2. yes...101 is the "core" satellite
3. nothing...unless your locals are on 119. What local market are you in?

1. yes
2. yes...101 is the "core" satellite

Hell yes, glad to hear...

Local market is Houston,Tx but the tailgate will be about ~200mi away in a market that has it's own OTA Locals that are easily available.

That's great news!

Is there any significant difference in size or weight between the one I currently have and this model? The current dish barley fits in the back of my coupe, I'm looking to cut down on size/weight if possible

%21BePUdO%21BGk%7E$%28KGrHqQOKj%21Eq4rgh,o%28BK8dRLmZGQ%7E%7E_12.JPG

That's great news!

Is there any significant difference in size or weight between the one I currently have and this model? The current dish barley fits in the back of my coupe, I'm looking to cut down on size/weight if possible

%21BePUdO%21BGk%7E$%28KGrHqQOKj%21Eq4rgh,o%28BK8dRLmZGQ%7E%7E_12.JPG

This is the old Phase 3 dish. It doesn't get the new hd channels that you linked to.

I've run into a few issues during my walkthru that I need some help on. On the preliminary dish setup screen it asks for my dish type. I was under the impression I had the 3-lnb (18"x20") dish how ever when I selected it and I move to the signal strength menu I am unable to view satellite 99 only 101, 110, 119. What would be the best satellite option to choose since the only other logical options would be Slimline-3?

Thanks

Not trying to get locals, trying to get DirecTv programming. Preferably HD programming from the 99 satellite

I do own the first one, the only reason I posted the second one was to see if it was any different then the one I already own.

Back to my original question, could you guys provide insight as to what satellite option I should choose in the setup page? That is the confusion I have run into, I am unsure what option to select. My earlier post this evening discusses the options I am unsure about.

The AT9 is the biggest and heaviest dish D* made for HDTV reception. You had best try setting it up at home before tailgating with it. There is a strong possibility the dish had problems before you found it on the side of the road. With the sidecar there is 3 different positions for mounting the sidecar for correct reception. It has external connections for 110 & 119 subject to corrosion and Houston is know for its humidity.

Thanks boba, I am trying to set it up at home first, this is how I got stuck on the satellite dish selector screen.

Right now I am trying to test this out at home and would like to know what dish option to select from the drop down menu. As I mentioned the 3-lnb (18"x20") option I selected does not give me access to the 99 satellite on the signal strength screen.

I know I do not need the sidecar thanks to the answers you guys provided in my first couple of posts. I am trying to make sure I have all my settings correct on the receiver before moving on and trying to align the dish correctly. If you guys could please advise what would be the best dish type to select from the dropdown that way I can correctly try to align the dish and see if the lnb really works.

Thanks boba, I am trying to set it up at home first, this is how I got stuck on the satellite dish selector screen.

Right now I am trying to test this out at home and would like to know what dish option to select from the drop down menu. As I mentioned the 3-lnb (18"x20") option I selected does not give me access to the 99 satellite on the signal strength screen.

I know I do not need the sidecar thanks to the answers you guys provided in my first couple of posts. I am trying to make sure I have all my settings correct on the receiver before moving on and trying to align the dish correctly. If you guys could please advise what would be the best dish type to select from the dropdown that way I can correctly try to align the dish and see if the lnb really works.

You need to use the 5 lnb option, even though you are using only 3 of the lnbs. BTW, you won't get any guide data, since with that type of lnb and dish, it comes from the 119 satellite.

Thanks for all the help guys. The 5-lnb option is what did it for me. After getting the correct coordinates, it was a breeze to setup, the signals began showing up and after a few adjustments everything was good to go (including guide data).

Your first pic didn't have the sidecar 110/119 LNBs. Is your AT9 working without those, and getting guide data? Or were they just missing from the pic?

I thought the AT9 sidecar dish had to have the 110/119 lnbs attached to work (at least for guide data).

The only one that can go without is the new 3lnb slimline that just sees 99/101/103, unless I'm mistaking.

Your first pic didn't have the sidecar 110/119 LNBs. Is your AT9 working without those, and getting guide data? Or were they just missing from the pic?

I thought the AT9 sidecar dish had to have the 110/119 lnbs attached to work (at least for guide data).

The only one that can go without is the new 3lnb slimline that just sees 99/101/103, unless I'm mistaking.

I think they used to be that way, but maybe a software update changed them.

Choose the Slimline-5. The only issue I can see is that without the sidecar it will not get the guide data from 119. If you are tuned to a channel on 99 or 101 it will get the data from 101, however.

Status
Please reply by conversation.