AT-9 install problems

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Fightingmad

Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
:mad: Well D* shows up today to install H-20 and 5LNB dish. The installer tells me he cannont install on my current 2 1/2 or 3inch fence pole I am currently using for the 3 LNB dish. Apparently the new dish weighs 40lbs or so and he clams that it will be top heavy and I wont get a good signal. He suggested I buy a 6x6 post and sink that into the ground and then call back D* to install dish. I not to crazy about installing a telephone pole in my backyard. Is there a fence post/pole that I can use that will fit the new larger bracket. I was not able to keep dish to take measurements. He said I could have the receiver but not the dish!!! Also what size u-bolts will work???? Any suggestions would be helpful:)

NEw at9 Dish

I believe the AT Dish uses the same size pole as the dish network superdish 2" in diameter, regular conduit hat is 2 " thinwall is 2 and 1/8 inch and probably too big!!!

You dont want to use a wooden pole to mount dish on, they can warp from sun and water and humidity and cause dish to go out of alignment and the at9 is more fiiacky than the the 3 lnb dish.

Thanks Dodge for the response. I'm using 2 1/2 inch fence post now. 3 feet buried below frost line in concrete and 6 ft above ground. So it seems that the pole is ok but the installer for whatever reason was misinformed.:mad: I'm going to call D* tomorrow and set up another install date and see what happens. I was sure that after I installed that pipe in the ground last year it would hold any size dish that would come out in the future.:up

Hey Fightingmad,
The bolt pattern on the AT9 mount has holes 5” apart, which would not be a good size for U bolts around your 2 ½” fence post. You could drill new holes for the correct size U bolts but I don’t think that would make for a stable mount. You might get a short length of 2” OD pipe and hose clamp that to your existing mast with 3 or 4 hose clamps spread across a foot or more of the pipe. Just leave at least 4” sticking above your post to mount the dish to. And before someone flames the hose clamp idea, it’s very strong. Street lights, even the huge ones that overhang city blvds are held to the pole with large hose clamps.
Rick

Fightingmad said:
Thanks Dodge for the response. I'm using 2 1/2 inch fence post now. 3 feet buried below frost line in concrete and 6 ft above ground. So it seems that the pole is ok but the installer for whatever reason was misinformed.:mad: I'm going to call D* tomorrow and set up another install date and see what happens. I was sure that after I installed that pipe in the ground last year it would hold any size dish that would come out in the future.:up

That installer is an idiot. A post that size is more than stable enough for a dish of
that size. A previous thread mentioned that the dish will mount on a post of that
size without using the base plate.

Chip

Fightingmad said:
:mad: Well D* shows up today to install H-20 and 5LNB dish. The installer tells me he cannont install on my current 2 1/2 or 3inch fence pole I am currently using for the 3 LNB dish. Apparently the new dish weighs 40lbs or so and he clams that it will be top heavy and I wont get a good signal. He suggested I buy a 6x6 post and sink that into the ground and then call back D* to install dish. I not to crazy about installing a telephone pole in my backyard. Is there a fence post/pole that I can use that will fit the new larger bracket. I was not able to keep dish to take measurements. He said I could have the receiver but not the dish!!! Also what size u-bolts will work???? Any suggestions would be helpful:)
The problem I can see with a pole in concrete is that the ground around it can shrink when there is a dry spell do to the lack of rain. In that case the pole could loosen in the ground and could move in heavy winds. The best bet is to dig a hole below the frost line, put a half bag of concrete for a footing, level and plumb a 4x4 and fill the hole with pea gravel. That way if the ground shrinks the pea gravel will compensate for it.

raoul5788 said:
That installer is an idiot. A post that size is more than stable enough for a dish of
that size. A previous thread mentioned that the dish will mount on a post of that
size without using the base plate.
Chip

Have you ever seen the dish in person?

Fightingmad said:

Just make it simple. Go to a fence store and buy a 2inch fence post. Your current pole works fine for an AU2, so do the correct thing for the AT9.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)