AT&T data use msg

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

truckracer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
Charleston wv
AT&T sent me a text msg stating my data usage was in the "top 5%". as it stands now i have used 2.6 gb data on billing day 19. i stream pandora and slacker quite a bit over 3G. i have the old "unlimited data plan".

The msg said to avoid slowdowns use wifi.
I personally do not appreciate this. They knew when they started peddling smartphones out to millions of users they needed a data backbone to support it. I personally do not want to hear their crybaby tears.

its like a drug dealer getting a neighborhood on crack and then bitching because they want more. At&t is far more knowledgeable than most on data use and with the capability of smartphones and their apps they should have better prepared for their use. I pay 108.00 per month for service.

i would be glad to dump them for another service. They act like bandwidth is like long distance in the 80's.

I may persue virgin mobile. Their coverage is excellent (sprint) here. For 55.00 per month i can have sprint 3G data, unlimited texts and unlimited calls.

They offer a decent android (motorola triumph). since i have a galaxy tablet, i do like android.

i can save over 50.00 per month getting rid of At&t.

I tried Virgin Mobile for data. But their speed is way too slow compared to AT&T, and from what I've heard, even compared to Sprint! Sprint must be throttling them!
I am now using T-Mobile with its 4G when I travel. Works pretty well!
Though keep in mind that none of them offer unlimited plans anymore. You may have to stop using Pandora over 3G. Consider getting satellite radio instead. It might be cheaper than paying for data! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Virgin does throttle past a certain mark also.

Sprint is the only one that I know of (national company) that claims not to throttle with a still available unlimited plan.

Sprint is the only one that I know of (national company) that claims not to throttle with a still available unlimited plan.

And even that might be going away too with the LTE network roll-out...

AT&T sent me a text msg stating my data usage was in the "top 5%". as it stands now i have used 2.6 gb data on billing day 19. i stream pandora and slacker quite a bit over 3G. i have the old "unlimited data plan".

2.6gb and they yelled at you? Hell look at my data usage and I've NEVER received a warning..

bw.png

2.6gb and they yelled at you?
Hell look at my data usage and I've NEVER received a warning..
But, you keep going like that, and you'll get the nasty-gram, or cut off. :)
You've got to know it depends on what market (city) you're located in.

TruckRacer - if you could curb your usage to about 2gb/month, there are alternatives under $50/month to consider.
That savings would pay for your own satellite receiver and the monthly to run it. :)

Using an AT&T handset (I've rebuilt an iPhone), Straight Talk for $45 is my choice.
Alternatively, Simple Mobile for $40 would be the choice if you had a T-mobile handset.
Yes, 3G speeds.

While I'd like to see more discussion of both here, right now a better place to read about both choices would be Howard Forums.

But, you keep going like that, and you'll get the nasty-gram, or cut off. :)
You've got to know it depends on what market (city) you're located in.

TruckRacer - if you could curb your usage to about 2gb/month, there are alternatives under $50/month to consider.
That savings would pay for your own satellite receiver and the monthly to run it. :)

Using an AT&T handset (I've rebuilt an iPhone), Straight Talk for $45 is my choice.
Alternatively, Simple Mobile for $40 would be the choice if you had a T-mobile handset.
Yes, 3G speeds.

While I'd like to see more discussion of both here, right now a better place to read about both choices would be Howard Forums.

Actually I plan on the data usage being HIGHLY curtailed since I don't plan to stream audio daily anymore. I was just commenting that I find it amazing that I haven't been nailed yet I constantly read stories from other people who don't use as much as me.

It is possible that they only crack down in areas which they do not have the capacity. I have never received a message, but it is pretty rare for me to go much over 3GB. I have gone on road trips cross country using sling, it is a pain in the 2G areas, but it works. It uses a lot of data, but perhaps since I am spreading out over a lot of different towers they do not care.

Why wouldn't you want to use wifi where possible. I know my 25 mbps from TWC is faster than 3g any time. I use my Iphone constantly for tunein radio plus plenty of video streaming and yet to come anywhere near using my 2gb allowance on Verizon.

Why wouldn't you want to use wifi where possible. I know my 25 mbps from TWC is faster than 3g any time. I use my Iphone constantly for tunein radio plus plenty of video streaming and yet to come anywhere near using my 2gb allowance on Verizon.

Most WiFi is NOT faster than my LTE! I get 35-45Mb/s all day long. Sure, I do it when Im at home, but Im not a big fan of connecting to publich WiFi either.

When's the last time you ran a speedtest.net on that? That's some impressive bandwidth in a generally busy frequency.

Most people with anything considered to be 'high speed internet' will likely have internet faster than 3G. From there it's a matter of having a wifi network that lets you enjoy as much of it as possible.

I have to say last week when I was in New Orleans the 4G LTE on AT&T was doing 20 down/22 up, it felt just like I was at home. At home I have 50/5 but really unless you are doing a large download it is hard to tell once you get past about 10 mbit when web surfing.

When's the last time you ran a speedtest.net on that? That's some impressive bandwidth in a generally busy frequency.

Most people with anything considered to be 'high speed internet' will likely have internet faster than 3G. From there it's a matter of having a wifi network that lets you enjoy as much of it as possible.

Just ran it the other day, after they emailed me informing us our "turbo" speed had been increased. It is impressive, now if they would only get off their "as*" and do something about this b.s. with MSG so I can watch my hockey games. Maybe they upped our speed so we can go to those "bad" website overseas to watch the games streamed to our computers?

Just ran it the other day, after they emailed me informing us our "turbo" speed had been increased. It is impressive, now if they would only get off their "as*" and do something about this b.s. with MSG so I can watch my hockey games. Maybe they upped our speed so we can go to those "bad" website overseas to watch the games streamed to our computers?

I was referring to your wifi bandwidth

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I hate to bum anybody out but texted usage warnings, throttling and more expensive data plans are going to get worse, not better. With Verizon adding the "hot spot" feature on smart phones that let any four people get to the internet via wifi to a Verizon phone and 4G Tablets rolling out this year, people are going to do more that become wireless phoners but will try to be wireless web surfers too. And the web is getting more full of streaming video (and HD video at that) with every passing day.

The bad news is that there just isn't enough air to push the whole internet into it.

In about five years what will stop millions of middle class and above 6th graders from watching TV (on Dish TV Everywhere and clones from other sources) on their new relatively cheap small tablets during recess, except for the price old dad would have to pay for that much data usage?

i have 3 active sirius radio receivers. we now have a guest wifi in the building. 17 mb/s down and 9 up.

i am going to dump at&t i think. my iphone 4 can be an ipod touch, skype and whistle phone.

i believe i will do the virgin mobile 45.00 per month plan with a Moto Triumph.
At least if virgin throttles my data , it is not costing much so no complaints from me.

it's still good advice

TruckRacer - if you could curb your usage to about 2gb/month, there are alternatives ....
And that lets you use your existing iPhone, which you already know.
Jailbreak it if you want more flexibility.
And over the existing AT&T 3G backbone.
Did I mention $45/mo? - :up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts