Report: Android leads US Market Share

John Kotches

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 21, 2003
Troy, IL (STL Area)
I thought that apple had smartphone lead in the US, but based on this article, Android has a significant lead and has grown that lead in the last quarter of 2011...

Here's the link. Combined android and apple have around 75% of the smartphone marketshare.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

I don't recalling seeing anything that said iPhone pulled ahead of Android in Q4 but I do recall reading that Apple pulled ahead of Samsung in the quarter.

inevitable

At one point in time, the Apple ][ had the lead in home computers.
But then, IBM made the industry-standard PC.
Now, everybody makes the PC; Apple makes the Mac.

Again, Apple got a head start in smart phones.
Then came Android, with most all the same ideas, and an open industry standard.
Now, everybody makes Android phones; Apple makes the iPhone.

I think the long term concern, if I were in charge of Android, would be the fact that using the nation's largest wireless provider (Verizon), more than half of their smartphone's sold in the 4th quarter were iPhones. 2 iPhone models vs. 16 or 18 Android models being sold by VZW. IF that trend were to continue, then Android would have something to be concerned about.

I guess time will tell. But we've had these conversations before :) And we'll have them again :D

I think the long term concern, if I were in charge of Android, would be the fact that using the nation's largest wireless provider (Verizon), more than half of their smartphone's sold in the 4th quarter were iPhones. 2 iPhone models vs. 16 or 18 Android models being sold by VZW. IF that trend were to continue, then Android would have something to be concerned about.
I hope that is a flluke because of Verizon getting into the iPhone market late so there was pent up demand that should ebb.

This debate ( thread here on satelliteguys) is still flawed!

Please understand that iphone is a device. Android is an operating system. iphone is the single largest phone in volume of sales, but there are more phones from different mfg's and models in use using Android vs. iOS.

But, as a business the Google's Android profits are way behind Apple's iOS profits and this is a problem for Google. Google gets a small license fee plus ad revenues. Apple gets the ad revenues but more importantly the iOS has an internal revenue share of each iphone sales, but unlike Microsoft and Google, Apple doesn't have divisions, it's a "Musketeer" business model of all for one and one for all. So, making the comparison is not an easy or simple task.

The average consumer loves the iPhone.
They didn't love it enough to leave Verizon for multiple years though... I think the huge iPhone sales with Verizon showed that they weren't willing to break a contract (though ATT had the iPhone exclusively for more than 2 years so people wouldn't have had to), switch their entire family, etc.

They didn't love it enough to leave Verizon for multiple years though... I think the huge iPhone sales with Verizon showed that they weren't willing to break a contract (though ATT had the iPhone exclusively for more than 2 years so people wouldn't have had to), switch their entire family, etc.
IMO, that had as much or more to do with ATT than a lack of "love" for the iphone itself.
I would have considered one when it first came out, but ATT leaves alot to be desired in this area. So therefor it was not an option for me, but not because of the device.

I know of many Verizon customers who said more than once "I can't wait for Verizon to get the iPhone". They simply wouldn't switch for the phone alone....

I know of many Verizon customers who said more than once "I can't wait for Verizon to get the iPhone". They simply wouldn't switch for the phone alone....
I guess I see that as more of an issue with the network they would have to swap to rather than a "knock" on the device. Just my two cents.

I guess I see that as more of an issue with the network they would have to swap to rather than a "knock" on the device. Just my two cents.

Your both right. No matter how you explain it there was pent up demand that caused a temporary spike in Verizon sales of iPhone.

And on who is making the most money: The "non-iPhone" manufacturers together are selling more smart phones than Apple with RIM is a sad, distant third. Google has a different business model and seems to be doing just fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts