Report: Android leads US Market Share

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
No license fee is paid to Google. Its an open source OS. They only get ad revenue from Android.

I stand corrected! The license fees are paid to the various patent holders and represent about $60 per device according to some analysts. My memory was a bit fuzzy but recall Google disclosure on it when they tried to buy out Nortel patents, which would have enabled them to get the fees themselves. Today, Google steps aside and offers no support for phone makers letting them suffer the wrath of all those patent infringement claims. Open source spirit does not exempt one from patent infringement.

I see both sides of the argument here.

iOS/Apple is kind of a "one size fits all" environment. You can only get them from one manufacturer (Apple) and you have to like what they give you for an OS. That's great when it comes to conformity... So much for Think Different though ;)

On the other hand, Android is a very diverse environment -- many manufacturers (with IMO silly) skins to differentiate and the model cycle times are much quicker. Good / bad or just different ? Probably the last one.

Apple's real advantage isn't with any of these though. It's with their App Store and iTunes which is additional money in the bank on top of their stellar phone sales. I hope Google is sharing some of the Market revenue with the manufacturers as without it Apple may have the long term edge. And by long term, I'm talking 5-10 years from now. That's an eternity in the rapidly evolving mobile space.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)