AT&T/Dish bundles...worth it? Big caveats?

shanewalker

Overall, an O.K. Guy
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 15, 2005
KC/MO!
So I'm contemplating switching over my cellular service to AT&T sometime soon (yeah, the reduced-price iPhone has become a serious temptation)--and its making me think about the AT&T bundle offerings.

Since we currently have long distance and local phone service and DSL through AT&T, I'm wondering how smart it might be to jump in with their 'Quad Bundle', as we're also currently Dish subs.

Well, the bundle deal only includes America's Favorite 100, so, I'm wondering...will I save any real money once I bump up to the Everything Pak w/ HD/Voom, etc. that I'm currently enjoying?

I've looked into these 'bundles' before and they never seem to pan out, once you add up all the extras...but I'm not sure.

Does anyone out there have advice/insights? Are there big 'gotchas' w/ AT&T Dish service vs. direct Dish subscriptions (I have 3-room service w/ 2 622 DVRs [1 owned] and a 211, btw)?

Thanks!

I bundled with my phone company without "breaking" from Dish. Frontier Communications is my phone company. Kept same programming and everything. All that happens is you get your billing from the phone company and you get $5 knocked off your Dish bill for bundling.

When I call for service, I'm still talking to Dish reps. It's just a different section. Something in my phone number and they answer, "Thank you for calling DishNetwork by Frontier. How can I help you".

Take it from one who knows--stay away from AT&T Dish. While same company (AT&T only resells E* service and equipment, just like Sprint does and other companies) you have to jump thur all kinds of hoops to get upgrades, etc. My BIG bundle discount is all of $4 on $175 monthly bill for local phone (I have Sprint for cell and LD), DSL and E*!!! Big deal. If you have E* stick with it and you won't be sorry.

BTW, the two times when I tried to drop AT&T Dish since 3/2003 after they initially refused to upgrade my receivers, I was told by one CSR that you have to wait 6 months and another told me 1 year before you can go to E*. When they take hold they won't let go without squeezing you to death!!! You would think they would have more respect since I have been with them (Illinois Bell, Indiana Bell, Ameritech of Indiana, SBC of Indiana, and now AT&T of Indiana) since 1968!!!

I was afraid of these 'horror' stories...the impetus for my posting was a vague recollection of hardware upgrade nightmares for AT&T subs in the way back (when the 622 came out, I think).

The whole 'bundle' deal is such a smoke-and-mirrors marketing tool--I can't believe that these companies (and it seems almost all the telecoms are guilty of this) try to pass along such miserly discounts as a carrot to get you to buy multiple services from them.

If you're talking a 10-20% discount on a triple services bundle (say 5-10% for each addt'l service), that's the real deal, but if it saddles you with two pages of account restrictions/fine print and you only save a couple of bucks a month...that's complete nonsense (read, BS).

Really, then, what IS the point beyond billing simplification, to which I say--'whoopee'?

I just got Dish/AT&T installed and got the Everything pack with a four room 722 / 222 setup for $75/month FLAT/fixed over an 18 month term as I am a DSL and telephone all distance customer (not an ATT cell phone customer)

The promo was $35/mo off the Dish pricing

So there is value if you can find a good promo

You also call into ATT/Dish CSRs with a much better level of service

The real problem is in the AT&T deal - buggy 622HZ DVR. It can hang any time - when you watching movie, scrolling guide, etc; only reboot can bring it to normal :(.

I'm an AT&T bundler, and I don't have the HZ receiver, I have the regular 622. I'm saving $15 per month (AT200 w/locals & HD pack) as well as similar amounts on my other bundled services.

I agree with rpconrad regarding the ATT/Dish CSRs. Our calls get routed to them and I've never had a bad CSR experience (one call to change service and three tech support calls in 3 years). Maybe I'm just lucky....

Same, I'm in Northen AZ. One bill ... not much off. Seemed easier at the time, doesn't really matter to me one way or another ... I have a 211, got it right before the bundling went thru. You can't use the Dish Website to upgrade packages though ...

I bundled with my phone company without "breaking" from Dish. Frontier Communications is my phone company. Kept same programming and everything. All that happens is you get your billing from the phone company and you get $5 knocked off your Dish bill for bundling.

When I call for service, I'm still talking to Dish reps. It's just a different section. Something in my phone number and they answer, "Thank you for calling DishNetwork by Frontier. How can I help you".

I do not like that fact that you cannot use the Dish site to manage your account. I had to go through ATT to get my employee discount (No don't ask me about phone service, bundles or DSL. I am a programmer in HR :) ).

Watch out for the ATT credit card scam too!

I have local, long-disatance, DSL, wireless, wi-fi, and ATT Homezone all bundled together. I applied for and received an ATT credit card as I was supposed to get 10% off my ATT bundled services for a year.

After I got my bill and didn't get the rebate I called. I initially was told no such program existed but after escalating through two more phone numbers I was told it was only 5%. A couple of days later I finally dug out the initial offer and sure enough, it was 10% for a year. I called back and they finally admitted I was correct but that I had failed to "enroll" in the program. No where does the offer say anything about enrolling. I supposedly am "enrolled" now so we'll see what happens on the next bill.

If you spring for this offer, make sure you have copies of it in writing.

ATT CSR Great Experience

Just reported LNB drift using the ATT Service phone number not the regular Dish one.. The CSR took my data re 129 (-7) AND SCHEDULED A FREE SERVICE CALL to replace the LNB .

I have been a combined subscriber for 2.5 years and have been absolutely satisfied with the service. Each time I have called the SBC/ATT number 866-722-7500, the CSR has been very knowledgeable and solved my problem.

Even when I upgraded to the 622 and qualified for the rebate at $10 a month, it appeared regularly on my bill. I have the combined billing scheduled to debit my bank account, which also works flawlessly each month. When I have ordered premium services, ie MLB Extra Innings, USB HD, Showtime/HBO, etc no problems...

While I pay a bit for phone services, I dont use much...nationwide long distance for example, I still get a combined savings of about $25 a month over purchasing each service individually. After reading the many stories about Dish CSR difficulties/inconsistencies on this forum, I am very pleased with the service I get from ATT/dish. The absence of aggravation is worth much more than the savings to me personally..

I have the DISH Gold HD, with Locals, Superstation and 2 DVR pak...

Hopefully I havent jinxed myself with these comments...
Thanks for listening

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts